“Dream come true!”
Review of Stallion 51

Stallion 51
More attraction details
Owner description: Fly an Authentic WWII Mustang. Stallion 51 offers the rare opportunity to experience the legendary P-51 Mustang and the historic T-6 Texan in flight as well as the Introduction to UAT flights at the controls of the L-39 Turbo Jet. Orientation and Introductory flights are with experienced instructors who allow you to take the controls in dual-cockpit, dual-control authentic vintage aircraft. Hands-on orientation flights include pre and post flight briefing, video recording of your flight, photo and flight training certificate. Stallion 51 has been a leader in WWII and Vintage aviation for over 25 years; keeping aviation history exciting, available and safe for everyone. Visitors are always welcome to tour Stallion 51's facilities.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This really was a dream come true for me, and one of the best experiences of my life! Everyone i met at Stallion 51 made me and my family very welcome starting from Julia at the front desk to Greg in the hanger. I met my instructor 'Mad Dog' Steve, and right away we got on like we have been friends for years.
But first let me clarify, i'm not a pilot. In fact i'm a bit of a nervous flyer. But I just love Mustangs, and have flown many Radio controlled P-51's over the years, so i had to put my nerves aside and fly a real one for my 40th birthday.
I have only flown as an airline passenger straight and level, so when Steve briefed me that I would take control just after take off and perform several high G aerobatic manouvers just like my RC planes, I started to think this guy really was Mad like his call sign suggests. I fly model planes, I'm not Chuck Yeager!! But Steve had come across several RC pilots before, and knew if i could fly a model, the real one would be easy. He had more confidence in me than i had in myself. A true Jedi Master!
So i walk into the spotless hanger, and i see one of the most beautiful sights in Orlando.... Crazy Horse 2 (Princess Jasmine in Disneyworld comes a close second!!) This plane is just gleaming, and polished up to a chrome mirror finish!
I climb up and strap in, as Steve tells me the the emergency bail out procedure and parachute drills. This really increased my heart rate, and i feel my ice cool image slipping away from me. But Steve puts a big smile back on my face when he starts her up and i hear that beautiful Merlin engine right in front of me, and i feel some British pride!
Steve lets me slalom taxi out to the runway, and after a few good turns, im a bit late on the rudder pedal, and almost put the thing on the grass! Ooops! Steves take off is silky smooth and once the plane is trimmed in flight, it flies hands off by itself straight and level. In fact it flew so smooth, i had to occasionally wiggle the stick just to make sure i was flying it. Steve then put me to work, and told me how to stall the aircraft. I slowed it down, raised the nose, felt the buffet and then the wing suddenly dropped and i was looking at the ground with my heart in my mouth. I recovered and my confidence grew as we barrel rolled and looped 8,000 feet above Florida. I was still gritting my teeth with the G force, and i initially had a nervous death grip on the stick, but my body slowly relaxed and i flew it just as i would a RC model.
After i did the break away turn over the runway and set up the landing approach, i thought my fun was over, as i thought Steve would re take control of the plane, but instead he just lowered the flaps and talked me down till i had landed it on the centerline!! Amazing!! I flew and landed a Mustang!! Im still smiling about it now! Steve said i would love this plane, and he was right.
My only regret is i didnt fly for longer, but i had promised my kids the whole Disney theme park experience, and i was on a tight budget.
I have a new found respect for the young men that fought and died in these planes. How they flew them to the limit to survive in combat is beyond me (I was straining just pulling out of a gentle loop!)
I will always remember this experience my whole life.
Thanks again to everyone at Stallion 51!!
Carl

2  Thank Carl G
MustangOps, Public Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Carl, Sounds like you not only landed the P-51 but also landed the perfect flight in our Mustang, Crazy Horse 2! Thank you for the rave reviews. We look forward to you returning for a visit. KT Budde-Jones

There are newer reviews for Stallion 51

Reviewed May 10, 2013

For over 50 years I have wanted to take the controls of a first-rate World War II Fighter Plane. Frankly, the opportunities to fulfill such a dream are beyond rare. A few years ago, while flying a Navy SNJ Advanced Fighter Trainer out of Kissimmee, Florida, I saw the Operations of Stallion 51 and their T/P-51 Mustangs. As a licensed Private Pilot, I dreamed about getting the opportunity to fly the Premier long-range Allied Fighter one day - and a few weeks ago, as I was finalizing a week-long business trip to Orlando, I took the plunge and called Stallion 51 to fulfill the long-standing Bucket List Dream.

Going in with already High Expectations, the crew at Stallion 51 vastly exceeded even my Wildest Expectations. The Session was expertly arranged for me by Julia Mulcahy in Stallion 51 Flight Operations. Upon arrival I was then introduced to my Mission Instructor, John "Homer" Black, a veteran F-15 Pilot with over 3,500 Operational Hours in the Eagle. In the Hanger and On the Ramp, it is clear that Stallion 51 takes exceptional care of its aircraft - they are pristine and shining, down to every polished rivet and fitting. Following a thorough and professional pre-flight briefing, lasting about 90 minutes, we saddled up for the "ride of my life."

We spent over an hour in the air, and covered the spectrum of aerobatic and air combat maneuvers at operating altitudes of between 5,000 and 11,000 feet, pulled some Big G's - and for an experienced pilot, this was truly a life-changing experience. "Homer" Black was a consummate Pro, and we had a ball together! He is a great Instructor - one of the best I have ever had in my aviation training experience - and he let me do the vast majority of the flying.

The Mustang was truly a thoroughbred, in every respect - the most magnificent machine I have yet flown. Powered beyond belief, it reared up and took off with untethered enthusiasm. The controls were precise and responsive - requiring the most minute inputs to control the aircraft. An absolute joy to fly! And to think "Homer" got PAID to do this job!!! Yet there was no doubt he earned his pay. Great Guy to fly with over Florida.

After the Flight, "Homer" spent another hour de-briefing the flight using the output from the onboard 3-point video system - and what a video treat that turned out to be! If you're a Pilot, you HAVE to do this flight with Stallion 51. There is likely no better flight experience available for such a reasonable cost on the planet today.

If you EVER wanted to fly such a magnificent historic aircraft.....What are you waiting for? This experience, and the indelible memories it creates, will stay with you for the rest of your life - and may it also end up being among your own "Top 5 Best Days Ever!"

Ron, We are honored to be in your top 5 best days ever. Glad we not only met your expectations but exceeded them. Thank you for sharing the P-51 Mustang cockpit with us. We hope you will come back for a visit. KT Budde-Jones

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I'm 75 years old, and flew the Stallion 51 jet (L-39 Albatross). It was a great experience - do it whether or not you are a pilot. The instructor will talk you through the maneuvers and you will be able to fly aerobatics, if you want, even if you are not a pilot.

You will never have such a sense of freedom and comfort, even when you are upside down or pointed straight down.

You won't be at all fearful and you won't get airsick.

Go make your day - soar like an eagle.

MustangOps, Public Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Robert, So glad you had the opportunity to experience central Florida upside down in our L-39 Turbojet! Though fun to fly, our L-39 turbojet is also an amazing classroom for those wishing to make themselves safer pilots through our Unusual Attitude Training program that incorporates both the Mustang and the L-39. Thanks for sharing the cockpit with us. KT Budde-Jones

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Ever since I was very young my dream was to ride in a war bird. John Posson and the entire Stallion51 crew made that dream come true on 4/26/2013. I would have been happy to just do a roll in Crazy Horse 2 without messing up too bad. It was a suprise that I was able to control the Mustang as well as I did. The flight was way beyond what in my wildest imagination I could have expected. The entire crew at Stallion51 treats everyone like family. What a wonderful organization. While the cost may seem high, after a flight in the Stallion51 Mustang, you too will say "It was worth every penny".

MustangOps, Public Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Robert, There is magic out side the Magic Kingdom! Taking the controls of one of our dual cockpit- dual control P-51 Mustangs is magic for anyone who experiences it. Glad we could make your aviation dream come true. KT Budde-Jones

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Flying the TF-51D is the ULTIMATE experience. I can say without reservation that this is the best flying FUN I've had in 20+years of piloting. I've done very limited aerobatics through Air Combat.....and although a most enjoyable time....it didn't compare with the time in NL851D with John Posson up front. When you pull the stick back to do a loop and watch the earth coming around hanging from your harness....it's almost spiritual in that fine old/young aircraft. If you want to make a dream come true for ANYBODY....get them an orientation ride in a Stallion51 Mustang. They will thank you profusely until the day they vacate the planet earth.

My special thanks to Julia Mulcahy for her fine support, Kris Riel for his preparation on the aircraft and John Posson for his superb briefing and piloting.

It is difficult for me to be more effusive about Stallion 51 and their manifestation of the flight experience....so go make it happen for yourself or loved ones.

Jack Norris
Fly Date: April 19, 2013

MustangOps, Public Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Jack, You are correct, flying the Mustang is an etherial experience. Glad we could share our slice of aviation heaven with you. KT Budde-Jones.