“Wonderful, Unforgetable Experience”
Review of Stallion 51

Stallion 51
More attraction details
Owner description: Fly an Authentic WWII Mustang. Stallion 51 offers the rare opportunity to experience the legendary P-51 Mustang and the historic T-6 Texan in flight as well as the Introduction to UAT flights at the controls of the L-39 Turbo Jet. Orientation and Introductory flights are with experienced instructors who allow you to take the controls in dual-cockpit, dual-control authentic vintage aircraft. Hands-on orientation flights include pre and post flight briefing, video recording of your flight, photo and flight training certificate. Stallion 51 has been a leader in WWII and Vintage aviation for over 25 years; keeping aviation history exciting, available and safe for everyone. Visitors are always welcome to tour Stallion 51's facilities.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Phoenix, Arizona
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Wonderful, Unforgetable Experience”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Everything about my experience with Stallion 51 was outstanding. Most notable was the atmosphere created by the personnel who were all polite, very helpful, and made me feel comfortable from the moment I arrived. When I walked through the front door, and up the stairs to the reception area, I was nervous and wondering if I made the right decision to pursue one of the top items on bucket list, to fly in a P-51. I can't say that the nervousness went away completely, after all, I was about to take control of a high performance, rare, and expensive aircraft with no prior flying experience at all. However, talking with the office personnel and ground crew as well as the pilot put me at ease. As far as my flight experience goes, it is impossible to describe how great it was except to say it was everything I thought it would be and better. My only regret is that I may have been too timid with the controls. This is something I've wanted to do since I was a child, and worth every penny even on my limited budget. I want to do try again sometime soon!

Visited September 2012
MustangOps, Public Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Tarlea, Glad to hear your flight in the Mustang with Stallion 51 "was everything you hoped it would be and better". We strive to make everyone's flight of a lifetime a once in a lifetime experience. We enjoy sharing our Mustangs with pilots and non-pilots like yourself as much as our visitors enjoy flying with us. We hope that you will keep in touch with what is happening at Stallion 51 via facebook and our website. Please come back for a visit. KT Budde-Jones

San Antonio, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Would you go Back? YES!”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I think there is no greater praise than repeat business and i have to admit, I have daily thought about when I will get a chance to return to Stallion 51 for another flight in a Mustang. Yes, I will go back. Probably until I'm too old to do so anymore. From professional staff, to expertly maintained and beautiful planes, to a comfortable facility, there is nothing that compares.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank Steven B
Steven, I hope you will do more than dream about returning for another flight in one of our P-51 Mustangs or our T-6 Texan or our L-39 turbojet. We look forward to you coming back for a visit and see what Stallion 51 is "up" to. We are glad you had a great time and thank you for your kind words. KT Budde-Jones
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Crazy Horse 2”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

What a fabulous hour in my life, being scared didn't help but all the staff put me at ease. I only wish I had been up longer!! Only downside is that I still haven't been able to watch the video yet. N.B. Even "Warbirds" give you a DVD to take away. However the experience was wonderful

Chris Parker
Ashford, Kent U.K.

Visited September 2012
MustangOps, Guest Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Chris, Hope you will come back and spend more time with us the next time you come to the states for a visit. "Crazy Horse II" will be waiting for you. Thank you for sharing your flying dreams with Stallion 51. KT Budde-Jones
Arlington, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“If you are thinking of going to Stallion 51; why would you go to anyone else?”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

While I am rare to express my views in a public setting, after spending a full week in September of 2012 at Stallion 51; I feel I must. For me, as a newcomer to the War Ward aviation community - I was completely blown away with Stallion 51, the staff and the professional manner in which they approach training pilots. I recognize many of those off to Stallion 51 are probably not attending for a full academic bottoms up training class on the Mustang or the T-6; but you should be. I don't care what kind of airplane you like; nothing beats learning on a Texan or a Mustang. The unusual attitude training and the bottom's up approach provided at Stallion is world class.

I can tell you after 3-years of hard-nose aerobatics and with over 300 hours in my own T-6; training with Stallion 51 was the best money I have ever spent - hands down. From the facilities to the classroom to the instructors and equipment - you are in for a real "experience" one you will never forget.
For me, I am looking to do more flying rather than less and almost all of it is spent in the Warbirds, like the T-6 and the Mustang, after training with some of the best in the business - Stallion 51 provided me a new perspective on safety and professionalism that I have not seen in any other location. Part of this is due to the availability of not one, but two well maintained duel control P-51 Mustangs. The other essential part is the staff and quality of the aircraft coupled with a comprehensive review of all systems and procedures - these things will save your bacon. The Stallion team is not just out to give rides, but an experience and for those of you who are more advanced - how to follow a well honed process of safety. You might not like every part of the training, but that was and is the point of going to Stallion. They want you walking away from Stallion as a better pilot and a protector of the standards that need to be applied to these otherwise incredible aircraft.
What on earth is better than flying a P-51 Mustang and doing it right?!?!?!?
If your considering Stallion for an introductory flight to the P-51,Texan - you can do no better than Stallion 51
I consider my time training in Florida with Lee's team some of the best. I was able to push myself and earn my patch over an intensive week of training. If you'd rather guess and wing it - then stay away, but if your up for learning and working to accomplish something - even a few hours at Stallion will leave you with a better appreciation for the aircraft and what it takes.
I reiterate - if you are evaluating a flight school or an experience of a lifetime in the Mustang Texan, L-39 and or want to learn the basics of aerobatics - why would you go anywhere else?
Thanks again to the entire Stallion 51 team - I look forward to my next trip and more learning!
Graduate 143

1 Thank Andrew M
MustangOps, Public Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Andrew, It was our privilege to share the P-51 Mustang with enthusiastic people like you. We enjoy sharing the cockpit with pilots and non-pilots alike; to show what the Mustang can do today and share the stories of what the Mustang did along with the brave pilots who flew her to help win WWII. Our training program in the T-6 Texan and P-51 Mustang insure that not only the aircraft but also their legacy will be around for years to come. Thank you for letting us share our Mustangs with you. We look forward to flying with you again. KT Budde-Jones
Denver, North Carolina
“Best Bucket List Ever!”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was fantastic!

Crazy Horse 2 is an immaculate, powerful, high performance, beautifully restored fighter. The hanger, the ops center, the staff, the CFI were all I could have ever asked for. Exactly as billed, exactly as promised. Worth every penny.

If you have even thought about flight in a P-51, or any other warbird, this is perfect. Do it. Go for it.

The Crew Chief, Chris, keeps his airplane in top shape, and one can tell it is a passion, not just a job. I walked in the hanger and there were three Mustangs, along with the sleek jet trainer; perfect, clean, reflecting off of the polished hanger floor! You could eat off that floor! Never have seen a hanger or maintenance shop in such clean and orderly condition. It shows in the beautiful condition of the airplanes.

Julia is wonderful, helpful, professional and polite. Arranging the flight, answering questions was a breeze.

John "Homer" Black, my CFI, is a retired F-15 pilot. Instead of making me feel like a complete novice dunderhead ( which I was ) he made the briefing and the flight a relaxing, exciting, thought provoking, memorable experience. Awesome level of expertise, both in flight operations and piloting skills, but also teaching. The debrief made me realize I want to come back and do it even better the next time ( Yep, I just added the jet trainer to my newly created bucket list, right on the spot)

I really felt as if I was a part of the airplane. These folks are very, very good at what they do, which is Mustangs, and how to care for and fly them.

I will absolutely be back to do this again!

1 Thank David G
David, Thank you for such a glowing review. We are pleased you had such a great experience with us and look forward to sharing the L-39 turbojet cockpit with you when you return for another flight. KT Budde-Jones