“YES YES YES”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Reviewed February 23, 2014

First of all, I spent about a decade in the Southwest, Second, I have an expensive belly, consisting of lots of different restaurants and styles. This is the place!

The Best Mexican Food I have ever tasted. Traditional done very well. You could argue that maybe the portions were too large or that it just had too much cheese, but why? You can easily wash it down with some fresh made Agua de Guayaba. There is a small Mexican grocer, complete with Butcher and Bakery and all the stuff you would find in a large Mexican grocery store, so I'm thinking that might make it convenient enough to be authentic and there is some pretty fair art actually painted on the wall and chairs, but it is the food that stands out the most. It is the very best I have had, bar none, even in Mexico and AZ. Right after opening it gets filled up, the parking lot is always full. I am considering putting down all my other reviews on star so this stands out better!

There are newer reviews for El Tenampa

Reviewed February 20, 2014

My wife and I were looking for a good local Mexican restaurant like we visited so many times while working in Texas. El Tenampa is that sort of place. First we had some great frescas - mine a milk/rice based sweet drink and Sherry had pineapple. So good along with the complimentary Salsa and Chips.

The main dishes were yummy too. I had three different types of tacos - not the taco bell type - but soft fresh tortillas - one with sausage, one with tongue and one with tripe. Trust me, don't knock it till you tried it. The beans and rice were good too but secondary to the great tacos.

Sherry had a combo plate with a beef burrito and chicken enchilada. She thought they were very good as well.

The waitress was very friendly and very helpful. The restaurant was a good combination of locals and tourists so you know if the locals like it, it's good!

We visit our daughter in Orlando 4-5 times a year. This is our new go-to Mexican!

1  Thank TheNotarangelos
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Although it's on the main road the sign was a little hard to read so we missed it initially (there is a Mexican grocery next to it). After doubling back we found ourselves in a room full of Mexican people - a good sign in a Mexican restaurant. We had to wait about 10 minutes on a Saturday evening but it was worth it. The food was excellent and the margarita's strong. Parking was limited and the wait seemed longer by the time we left so go early.

Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

After reading reviews on trip advisor I drove past a couple Mexican restaurants to go to this place. It was well worth the extra drive. I had the combo fajita and the flavoring was great. The regular salsa is pretty mild so I ordered the hot salsa and it also had a great flavor with a little heat.

This was one of my favorite Mexican restaurants ever!

Reviewed January 26, 2014

The place is pretty small inside, but the food and service was good. It's definitely a dive outside the building and the parking is dicey, and there is always a line and no where to stand, but the food was good. I don't think I have to go back, but it was good for a one-time visit.