“Better off staying at a Disney hotel”

Ramada Kissimmee Gateway
Ranked #39 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
London, United Kingdom
“Better off staying at a Disney hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

I wish to write this review as a warning to any of those who are choosing what hotel to stay in when visiting Florida. My first complaing is that as soon as me and my boyfriend arrived at the hotel after having paid the full payment the man on reception asked for $25 without thinking we gave him the money, but he promised we would have it back once we checked out. We only stayed at this hotel for four days due to the terrible shuttle times e.g. they would leave to go to Epcot at 9 and would put no shuttles back on till the evening, meaning a whole day at the park, and they would collect people from other hotels so there was very limitied space on the buses. Me and my boyfriend decided we would be better off staying at a Disney hotel, on checking out we asked for the money back and we were told we would not be able to have it back as we were never given a receipt, therefore this hotel has untrustworthy people working at it, and I would warn people to stay very clear of this place.

Furthermore the rooms smelt very unclean, we kept our curtains closed the majority of the time as we were staying by the pool and people could see directly into our hotel meaning we had a lack of privacy. The whole place seemed very dirty and the extra money we paid to stay at the Swan hotel was worth the money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 186338Smb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks 19/6 until 3/7 and all the family had a great time, shuttle service to the parks was excellent and also the food at the deli was cheap and of good quality so were the staff,
I agree that the bathroom in our room needed updating but for the price we paid I can have no complaints and would return no problem

2 Thank ButtsManchester
Kent
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

My review is definitely influenced by the 'visitor' we had on the first morning staying at this hotel..... the cockroach was removed quickly but even so it completely grossed us out!
The room was a good size and was cleaned daily, and very well, BUT it is grim. Possibly the worst hotel I have stayed in. It is in desperate need of updating. Carpets in rooms are never a good idea in my opinion. It was really noisy too. The TV was so blurry it was practically unwatchable, and do not fall for the sales pitch of the guys in reception who promise you discounted park tickets for a 90 minute visit to a timeshare. You will get a hard sell lasting 4 hours! The location is pretty handy, but I'd be hard pushed ot recommed this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Kissimmee hotels

Chesterfield VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I purchased two rooms for two nights via Groupons and was very disappointed. The bathrooms were dirty and there was hair in the shower, on the floor and even on the curtains and lampshade. Both rooms were dirty upon my arrival. The mattresses and bedding are new, most of the towels were new and clean, however, this hotel has a major housekeeping and plumbing issue. Between the two rooms I purchased over two nights we changed rooms a total of 3 times and would have changed a 4th time only the same problem I was attempting to get away from existed in the room they changed me to so I just opt to stay in the room I was in provided that housekeeping come in and get all of the disgusting hair out of the drain of the bath tub, which was clearly visible because the tub's drain cover was not in the drain. I asked that housekeeping clean the bathroom to the first room and they did, sort of. I didn't hear any water running while they were "cleaning" but the ac was very loud. I took a shower at 1:30am only to realize that housekeeping didn't run any water while cleaning because the drain doesn't work, at all. The hotel staff are friendly and will try to accommodate you by offering you another room but every room has the same problem and this was in the "newly renovated" tower rooms. Even the hallways are dirty the carpets leading to your room are stained and have bleach spots. The only thing that kept me from leaving this hotel and risk losing the money I paid was that the beds were new and the sheets were very white and clean. The rest of the room and bathroom were very dirty, I never seen or heard a vacuum during my stay. When I asked to be compensated for my troubles I was told that all they could offer me was breakfast in the hotel because I paid Groupons not the hotel directly, no thanks, I see the way you "clean" and chose not to eat at the restaurant in the hotel even before the free meal was offered. I was credited through Groupons, they are great! Do not stay at this hotel no matter what the price!

Room Tip: Bring your own bathroom cleaner and Lysol and gloves.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank KSNVA
RamadaGatewayGM, General Manager at Ramada Kissimmee Gateway, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
I have sent an email directly to this guest to see if we can determine the room that was occupied and investigate the issues mentioned. It is our policy to clean with water and industry standard cleaning products, and it is our policy to vacuum daily. We take all complaints seriously, and will investigate who the housekeeper was for this room, however, of the 11,480 rooms that were occupied at the hotel in the month of June, this is one of very, very few complaints on cleanliness. Our guest rooms may be a bit dated, however, we pride ourselves on the cleanliness and react very quickly if a guest points out something not up to expectations.
Sao Paulo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I apreciate very much the hotel , it is well located, and the clerk Pamala was very helpful, she offered us a room upgrade and also promptly located our orders that were made ​​by internet and delivered to the hotel

1 Thank Sandra B
Walterboro, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

The hotel was easy to locate and we were impressed with the the fact there was a security guard. The lobby area was nice and the staff friendly. We got there during karaoke time so it was very noisy in the lobby. I booked 2 rooms and were able to get them side-by-side, which was nice. The rooms in the back of the property are very dated (think 80's) but we were really more concerned with a bed to sleep in, and for the price and location...well, you get what you pay for. My father had a difficult time with the door lock on his room. Maintenance was notified and the problem was somewhat fixed (at least well enough I didn't worry about my father hurting his shoulder trying to get his door unstuck to open). The clincher, however, was after returning from a day at the amusement parks, we had a note in our rooms saying the hot water system was going to be replaced that following morning at 7am and would be off for a minimum of 7 hours. Really?? A hotel full of tired tourists and there would be no hot water after 7am? We thought a 10am hot water cutoff would have been more reasonable for guests (who keep the place in operation) and would still alot plenty of time before the next round of guests check in and want to shower.

1 Thank SHB29488
RamadaGatewayGM, General Manager at Ramada Kissimmee Gateway, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
As a point of clarification,unfortunately the hotel had one of two hot water boilers fail, and with a full hotel, we were concerned about getting a new boiler installed. Our engineering department communicated to the front office that they would need to start repairs in the morning, and the front office generated a notice to guests stating that the water would be turned off at 7 AM, sending notices to occupied guest rooms. When it was discovered that the plan was to start that early, it was immediately changed and 10 AM was the scheduled time to turn the water off. Apparently, not all notices were pulled from the rooms, however any guest that called the desk was notified that we had until 10 AM before the repairs were going to be made.
It is interesting to note that this guest would highlight a review with a serious negative that didn't happen. Hopefully, our Tripadvisor readers will look at some of our other negative comments with a little bit of question.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

The place is a little run down and could have used a little bit of a re-vamp but it was still ok. I mainly booked it as it had free shuttles to the Disney parks and universal parks. Didn't use the pool, but it did look nice. Really close to heaps of restaurants and convenient stores. Nice steak/ribs pace next door and a small supermarket which was good to buy some drinks to put in our fridge. Also a souvenir store and a theme park tickets outlet next door.
A putt putt course also close. About 10-15 min walk.
The room was really big for a standard room and good value. Free wifi which was good. Bathroom run down but still ok.
It had everything you needed considering you don't spend much time in the room. Only really to shower and sleep.
If you're not looking for anything flash this place will suit you fine.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor near the pool under the large shelter thing. It was hard to tell each mo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple