“Excellent Experience”

Ranked #38 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
New York, New York, United States
“Excellent Experience”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

The Ramada Gateway was an affordable price, had great customer service, and is situated in an excellent location. It is very close to the Disney parks and is only a 15 minute drive from Universal/Islands of Adventure where my friends and I were visiting. The rooms were clean and the beds were extremely comfortable. Our room came with a nice flat screen TV as well as a nice sized mini fridge to store drinks and food for our trip. Rooms also have free wi-fi which is a huge plus in my opinion. Overall a great place to stay!! I will definitely go back the next time I visit Orlando.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alana D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
Osprey, Florida
Reviewed January 18, 2012

We have to stay here at least four times a year due to an organization commitment. Some of the rooms in the "Tower" have been remodeled, most are not. The rooms that are updated, have much nicer bathrooms, and the room and furnishings are cleaner. Check out the rooms before unpacking. Some rooms, especially the bathrooms have been downright nasty. In addition, some of the microwaves are so old and yellow with age we are afraid to use them. The televisions are all old and finding a remote that works can be a challenge.

2 Thank mamadebbie34229

Travelers are raving about these Kissimmee hotels

Oldsmar, Florida
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Across the street from Disney and easy on and off from I 4. The back lower section is an older style motel, rooms around the pool. It was cool when I was there but the music was still on at the pool and I can see where it might be a bit noisy at times. The wi-fi in the room only worked for a few hours then said it was connected but no internet service. Food, drinks(expensive), and service was good. We had to ask for breakfast discount tickets. Overall, it would be a good home base for a family going to disney.

Room Tip: Rooms around the pool tend to be a little noisy
2 Thank winegen
London
Reviewed January 12, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Ramada Gateway for 7 nights from 26 December. We did not stay in a Tower Room so our room was facing the car park. The room was spacious but there was no ventilation and so smelt very musty, Each time we entered the room we had to leave the door open for a while to get some fresh air in. The beds were comfortable but the pillows needed replacing as they were worn out and limp! The carpet definitely needed replacing and I did not feel comfortable walking on it in bare feet - it was a bit sticky! The bathroom was OK but I didnt like the fact that the fridge was in the bathroom. The TV worked fine. We had trouble getting the lamps to work properly as the plugs were very loose in the sockets. Another negative was that we did not get wifi from this room and we would have liked a safety deposit box in the room too.

We didnt really make use of any of the facilities at the hotel as we were purely using the room as a base for our Orlando experience. We did have the buffet breakfast the first day but were not overly impressed and found we could better quality and cheaper just down the road at Dennys. The Reception staff were polte and helpful. The main advantage of this accommodation is its location. So close to the Disney parks and the I4. There were lots of restaurants nearby and within walking distance too. We paid a very low price to stay at the Ramada Gateway and so our expectations were not set too high.

Would we stay here again? We would if it were just to sleep but if we wanted to spend more time at our accommodation and relax we would probably upgrade to a more luxurious alternative.

Tip for the hotel: Please renovate the non-Tower rooms.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank jenster68
New England USA
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I am writing from my room on Jan 11th, so this review is live. I am here attending a 5 day conference at a nearby resort, and wanted to save money. I booked this with Southwest Airline and got a great deal. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Not in this case. Here's why...
The good things.. GREAT location near the Magic Kingdom entrance, lots of restaurants nearby, easy access to highways, and they have a very, very nice staff. I stopped dropping names due to concern for them, but the front staff and the breakfast staff are nice, friendly, and helpful. You can get a USAToday with Breakfast for free, and my room in the 300's section was VERY quiet. The maid service kept the room clean and did not touch my stuff. It has two pools and can handle kids easily. For those on a tight budget, this place has great value. It is a bit huge in that there are over 400 rooms by my calculation, but you don't feel it walking around. Some rooms are two story outside door entrance, and they also have a 8 floor tower for more money. Since I had a first floor outside room in the back, I was near an ice machine, and I could park my car 4 feet from my door. Speaking of Parking, a number of hotels charge to park in their parking lot, even if you pay to stay! This hotel does not, so you can save even more money with their free parking! Also, the entrance is gate guarded, so people can't just enter the location, unless you have a room or are checking in.
Now for the bad.. if you are a light sleeper, do not take a room pool side as the music stays on loud and clear until 10p. The facility is old, and the walls porous for noise. You can hear people talk next door, or hear them walk down the sidewalk past my room outside; especially if you take a room pool side. Being in the back dropped the noise and traffic immensely. When I checked in they put me in the 100's area and asked to be moved to the 300's.. and the staff were great and supportive. Upon getting ready for bed, I laid out my towels, only to find big bugs jump out of the bath floor towel and a face towel. The front desk offered to move my room but I stayed and asked for clean towels for all areas. That was 3 days ago, and no bugs since. After much thought, I am finding many locations are designed this way, outside doors, where the cleaning person leaves the towels and doors open for bugs to come it. So, if you want a inexpensive room, you must accept this as happening. Or you can go to another hotel for twice the price, and pay for parking. My two female colleagues were aghast and would have demanded changes. But they stayed in plush hotels and more than twice what I paid. I did not demand anything and I am okay. There are not bedbugs here. Speaking of Beds, the mattresses are hard and not soft. I had a solid bed, and no shaking.

Room Tip: for the kids, stay pool side. For business stay outside and in the back 317-378
5 Thank WarmVacations
Venice, Florida
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights from January 3, 2012 to January 6. The main attraction for this hotel is the fact that it is located on Highway 192 just several minutes drive from the Disney World gates. This makes travel to and from the Disney Theme parks a short and easy drive.

The hotel is basically divided into two different types of accomodation. First, inside access "tower rooms" and second, a grouping a two story buildings with rooms either facing the parking lots or the courtyard pool area. These rooms have outside access. I stayed in a non-tower room facing the courtyard. The room was value priced at $43.00 per night plus tax.

Upon entering the room there was a definite strong cleaner/bleach smell - but the room was clean. The bed was comfortable with decent linens and the towels in the bathroom were thick and fluffy. The non-tower rooms are older but my room was very spacious with a table and chairs to work or eat. WiFi is only available in the tower rooms or in the hotel large lobby area. I asked for a room closest to the tower/lobby area and had no trouble connecting to the internet.

I was surprised by finding a more up-dated flat screen TV however there was no microwave and the cube style mini-fridge was located in the bathroom area. Many hotel amenities were available including gift shop, fast service deli, and full service restaurant. I appreciated being able to get a fast start to Disney in the morning by ordering from the ala-carte breakfast menu and receiving very quick service. There is also a $9.95 breakfast buffet with a station for custom omletts. This was too much food for me in the morning!

Over all this is a decent value priced hotel - close to many eating places - and has an excellent location for a very short drive to the Disney Parks.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Dave34705
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We live in Florida, and travel to Orlando frequently. We came up for an event that was taking place at the Gateway, and decided to stay here for convenience. We stayed 2 nights. This is our experience and my. opinion: Beds are comfy, pillows are not. The headboards rocked and banged against the wall. I had to put towels behind them. Food is excellent for a hotel. Most of the staff is polite, especially if you speak Spanish. Apparently some of the staff think most people who speak English, do not understand Spanish, and so they make jokes and disparaging remarks ( which we overheard) about Americans. Note to Gateway staff: Some people know enough of your language to understand when you are making fun of them. In my opinion, The rooms in the Tower are Ok. Not great. The bathrooms are so tight and small the door just BARELY....and I mean BARELY ... makes it past the commode. Fan in the bathroom wasn't working. Microwaves are yellowed and ANCIENT. Took 6 minutes on HIGH to warm up 3 pancakes. The coffee maker looks like a toy. It is VERY SMALL, and only for one cup at a time. Either it had not been used or had not been cleaned in a long time. It had white dust particles inside the water chamber. I was afraid to use it! There were bugs attached to the extra blankets up in the closet, Door handles broken. Sink drain stoppers were cracked and broken. It took maintenance 5 hours ( two phone calls and one trip to the front desk) to come up and fix a clogged commode. Housekeeping didn't show up until 4 pm. Front desk was NOT happy to be called at 2pm to ask when housekeeping would be coming. I caught one kid (who was about 11-12 years old) trying to get into all of the rooms on our floor. NO ice machine on our floor. Had to go down to the next level for ice. One person in our group had money stolen out of his wallet. One person had his cell phone stolen. No cooperation from hotel Manager or from "security". The said they 'lost' the report , or could not see anything in the security cameras, or the MAIDS are the only ones with keys to the lost and found!! So even if you have something stolen from this hotel, the staff will do NOTHING to help you. The carpet in the hallway on our floor was bunched up in several places causing a trip hazard. The phone in the room did not work well. The keypad was so worn away you could only read 3 numbers and the cord had a bad connection that crackled and made the volume so low, you could not hear. My advice is to make sure you bring someone with you who speaks Spanish. From what we heard and witnessed, you will receive MUCH better service if you do! The food is the ONLY good thing in this hotel. Will NOT stay here again!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends