“Absolutely terrific food and service; NOT 'touristy'”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Chef John's Place - CLOSED

Chef John's Place
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Chef John's is a cozy restaurant enjoyed by couples, families and parties up to 20. We can seat 45 guests inside and also have outdoor seating for up to 20 guests. We have a bar where we serve draft beer, bottled beer and wine. Live jazz is performed outdoors every Thursday evening starting at 6:30 pm if the weather permits.
Cincinnati, OH area
“Absolutely terrific food and service; NOT 'touristy'”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2011

We were looking for a 'local' place in the Orlando area. A 'not touristy' place. Brother, did we ever find it at Chef John's Dockside Inn. Outstanding food and outstanding service to boot. My party of three adults had the following: gumbo (bowl), crab cakes, ahi tuna, mahi mahi and the blackened grouper linguini. And the key lime pie! Everything was sooo delicious! Our server was Katie . . . . so friendly, so helpful, and so enthusiastic. Chef John came out and introduced himself as well. What a pleasant, unassuming fellow. But eager to please. I can't find enough good things to say about Chef John's. We come to Orlando at least once every year. From now on, our visits will not be complete without at least one trip to Chef John's. Don't miss it!

• Visited January 2011

Chester, United Kingdom
“Excellent restaurant worth the trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2010

Party of 3 adults and 2 toddlers visited the restaurant. Excellent service and food. The chef even came out with cookies for the children. There is a varied choice of food with specials of the day. Its so much better than all the chain
Restaurants in and around the Disney areas. There are some other nice looking bars and restaurants around the area.

Orlando
“Terrible Food and Service!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

This was a very unpleasant experience--the food was awful. I ordered a chicken salad sandwich platter, sent it back, and then had to send back an even worse cheese quesadilla. My husband didn't mind his food, but afterwards the waitress, a very rude woman, told us that she had taken my orders off the bill (as if I would have paid for it) and then wished us "a wonderful afternoon". I told her that I didn't know how someone can have a wonderful afternoon after not being able to eat. Maybe when chef John prepares the food? Anyway, it was terrible food and service and I will never eat there again.

England
“Don't miss out on this excellent restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2010

A colleague of mine from England stumbled across this gem of a place in the historic district of Kissimmee. She told me that when I go to America I simply must eat here. I followed her advice and took my family (aged from 9 years old to 65 years old) for the most fantastic meal we've ever had. We went to Florida for 2 weeks and ate at Chef John's at the end of our first week The food was absolutely outstanding and so we promptly made a reservation to eat here again once more before our return to England. The Chef and his wife are such lovely people who took time to speak to us and make us feel so welcome. The waiter, Daniel gave excellent service on both visits and it was a pleasure to be served by him. This level of customer service from staff and owners coupled with the gastronomic delights we consumed on both visits was - in my view - unbeatable. It's so sad that two reviews amongst the many on Trip Advisor rate this restaurant as very poor and I'll leave it up to your own intelligence to see if you - like me - think this looks like a deliberate attempt to sabotage an otherwise unblemished 5 star record. Don't listen to them. Before I left the house we rented out in Kissimmee I commented in the visitors book that people must eat here and left a business card and driving directions. The place is really that good. Full marks to Chef John, his wife and his staff. This truly is an outstanding place.

Birmingham, Alabama
“"Big Mistake"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2010

Traveled from Alabama on birthday to try this place, because of the great reviews...Big Mistake. first of all, I ordered wine and never got it. They had a live band that played so loud, that I had to move to another table inside so I could hear my server. I started out with the Gumbo, which tasted like it came from a progresso jar luke warm. Then on to the entree for which i was waiting for the fresh fish-'grouper linguini' and the server brought me grouper and rice. Granted, I love creole food, but the spice in the rice almost put me in the Emer. room. This is "fire" rice. I asked the server for linguini exchange, and she tells me they are out of linguini, and the rice was the best option anyway. I decided to cool my palate with some key lime pie and the whip cream was completely melted into a soup around pie.? I sent it back for a fresh piece, and she returned with my bill only...no pie. I paid my tab, and thanked god there was a bar close by to wash the taste out of my mouth. Service here must be a problem, cause i constantly heard a Chef yelling at them in the kitchen. As i exited, some homeless man with a fake alligator in his hands asked me for money. I gave him a dollar and told him not to spend it at Chef Johns. Frustrating, and strange place? Way Overpriced.