“#1 Bug Hotel. Do not be fooled. Do not stay here!”

Orlando Sun Resort Hotel
Ranked #108 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
“#1 Bug Hotel. Do not be fooled. Do not stay here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

GROUPON- This is by far the worse experience I have ever had! This place takes "roach motel" to the next level! I checked in and inspected the bed. I found a spider on the bed! I called front desk to request the sheets be changed. Instead they change me to another room. I went to the registration desk and the girl asked me to wait while she had someone check the cleanliness of this new room. It was not clean so she puts me in Another room. There were no "clean" rooms with a king bed so i got 2 queen beds. At a glance it seemed clean. I went to dinner. When. I came back I was ready to go to sleep. I inspected the 1st bed and it had an ant, so I figured, "ok I will sleep in the other bed". On the 2nd bed I find 2 bugs that were not ants! I called the front desk requesting to just be checked out. The employee tries to tell me that she had inspected the room and that those were "just sugar ants". #1 I know sugar ants! I was born and raised in Miami and I know what they look like. #2. What if they were sugar ants, WHY IS IT OK THAT THEY ARE ON MY BED?? She insisted she inspected the room so we went to inspect room together. The same bugs were on the bed and they were bouncing! fleas perhaps? She was not Authorized to refund me the taxes I paid. How crazy is that??? There wasn't even a manager on duty that I can speak to about my situation! The manager called me after I left while I was on a hunt for another hotel to stay at that night. By this time it was 11p! I just wanted a bed!! The manager continued to attempt to justify that the bugs were "just sugar ants". Was I supposed to be ok with sugar ants on the bed I sleep on? I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE! I will be calling Groupon to get my money back!

• Stayed April 2012
5 Thank Cagudelo24

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Winona, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

First the good things: Maurice, the maintenance worker, is awsome. He has an impossible task to do, but does whatever he can quickly and with a smile.

The hotel is in a prime location, close to attractions and shopping.

That's kind of where the good stuff ends. If you go there expecting to do some of your own cleaning, you'll be much happier!

We were sent to this hotel from our original choice, telling us that there was a "water break"...good excuse for overbooking. It took an inordinant amount of time to check in with lots of confusion, despite that 3 people were working the desk.

Room had no refrigerator or microwave. Coffee pot still had coffee and grounds from the previous customer. Ice bucket had standing water in it. Air conditioning didn't work until maintenance person fixed it. Hornets were building several nests outside our sliding door. There were no chairs outside the sliding door on which to sit and enjoy the Florida sun. The security bar on the sliding door was too short to do its job. No secure key entry to the building. Only 2 hangers in the closet. Lipstick kiss on the mirrored closet door. Grounds unkempt, with dead branches and trash here and there. Bedding was only a sheet and a light blanket. Blanket was dirty/stained. Carpet stained.

Breakfast less than what you'd expect at a nice hotel. Scrambled eggs, juice and 1 toaster that was in use most of the time. Cafe not open at lunch time.

This resort could be spectacular! It's well-designed and in a beautiful location, tucked back away from the highway. It's too bad the ownership has chosen not to invest in better upkeep and maintenance.

One last thing...the staff seems to be working hard to make the best of their situation. Although the housekeeping staff could use some training or standards, they were friendly and willing to try to accommodate our requests.

In all, it was disappointing and in sharp contrast to another hotel we stayed in at the end of our trip.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a really good room in this hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank gamblingal476

Travelers are raving about these Kissimmee hotels

Greenville, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

The Orlando Sun's website is complete FALSE advertising. The only thing hey have as advertised is a pool. Rooms not as clean as they should be and the grounds are very shabby. There was old furniture and trash in some of the breezeways and housekeeping did not come daily and we had to go to the office to get our own clean towels. Will NEVER stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms were quiet. Not very many guests there. I guess word was out before the Clarion Inn moved us...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank CDO925
perrysville
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

We were booked at another hotel and got moved to this one. WE had no hot water. We asked front desk for more towels they wouldnt give us any. No WI FI. Breakfast a joke eggs were runny. No waffles. A maintence guy had to tell us the room they put us in was not done unusable. So he had to go get us another room.. Rooms didnt have fridge or microwave. They say heated pool yea you had to go around the hotel ...to another wing to get to the heated pool . Bugs in the room trash left in the room.. ONLY GOOD THING IS THE BARTENDER TIM. HE WAS VERY HELPFUL AND FRIENDLY ....BOTTLED BEER ONLY 3 DOLLARS. ADVISE IF YOU GO HERE GO TO BAR BEFORE YOU GET IN LINE TO CHECK IN IT TAKES AT A MINIMUM 1 AND HALF TO GET CHECKED IN..

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank juliespreng
Orlando, Florida, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

This property needed a renovation 20 years ago! I think the state prisons in Florida are better than this place... They would be better off if they just rented rooms by the hour because that's all most people could stand. The hotel is a ghost town and nothing in the lobby is open...no concierge, restaurant, bar, etc...

I don't understand why it is even open! When we came back from dinner last night no one was at the Security gate no anyone could have driven in... Very limited staff and no services that you would expect from any hotel. Nothing in the fitness room worked, the landscaping is all dead and the staff only apologizes without action.

Very sad and unless you need a horrible place to stay then don't bother!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joseph K
Fort Myers, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

This was the the hotel from hell. Room was filthy. Never cleaned but once in 3 days and then only half done. WiFi didn't work, pools closed, ice machine didn't work, halls inside and out were filthy! This place made Motel 6 look like a palace! Front desk and management were very unsympathetic and offered little help. Never was able to talk to General Manage after repeated phone calls. To cap it off received an obscene phone call in the middle of the night and the names that were given just happened to be the names of 2 of their male employees! BUT they said they had no way of knowing where the call came from...Don't go there unless you like dirty rooms, no towels, hand towels or face cloths,or soap replaced or coffee or clean coffee cups and glasses, etc., etc., etc. I would rate this place lower than a -1........I developed a urinary tract infection on the day after left there. Picked up some bacteria somewhere, the dirty toilet maybe???

Room Tip: Go anywhere else but here!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Teri Suzanne M
Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

I thought that I was getting a really great deal when I bought the 3 night stay groupon for 155. (which is supposed to be about 50% off) However, this place did not meet my expectations. When we first arrived, we noticed that there were about 3 other cars there. I was hoping for a resort to actually have business. I didn't mind as I figured everything else would be really great.

Check in wasn't that bad, except for the fact that when I read the Q&A on groupon about the total fees, the person responding did not say there were resort fees. Oh well, no worries, but the check in lady that i had made the reservation with told me that it would be $51. Well it was $66. again, I'm thinking oh well this is a steal of a deal anyways. I was the only person getting checked in and the staff seemed friendly enough, but distracted. Also, I felt that they could have been more appropriately dressed.

While driving to room I notice the ghost town and wonder if this place has an awful reputation or what. The steps to go upstairs definitely need some work done, then we went up and there was a lot of sitting water that seemed hazardous. Also, I think that in order to be able to get into the pod thing where your room is you should have to use your room key. I guess its just me, but I feel safer that way. The room was clean and met our needs. However, they did not have any sort of booklet or binder that describes amenities, room service, nearby attractions, food, or anything. I guess thats just a perk that I like. Also, they did not have any sort of channel guide for the TV. The "on demand" movies described in amenities on the website is NOT TRUE. again, oh well. I did not have a "do not disturb" door hanger either. That would have been nice so I wouldn't have been woken up by housekeeping, although the lady seemed friendly enough. Oh one thing about housekeeping is that I'm not sure if it was them or just the guests, but there were piles of towels in the hallways, I don't know, it was weird to me.

we had to travel to different pods to find ice as the icemachine wasn't working in 2 places that we tried. :/

THE BEDS: are nice and pillows are mostly soft, one of them had some really hard spots that were uncomfortable. They only have sheets and then a small blanket folded at the bottom, no comforters. I personally get cold very easily and didnt mind their method of doing this, but would have appreciated an extra blanket in the closet or something.

There were supposed to be several pools, but the staff said that basically only 1 was working. we didnt visit them, but i heard a disgruntled customer complain about it not being heated or even ready when i was checking out.

There is internet, but it is a very poor connection, our phones could only briefly connect. We were glad we brought a computer which connected better.

Overall, we made our trip a good time, so the little things about this hotel didn't offend us horribly. However, I do not understand what the resort fees are for, the pools are not working, there is practically no activity, etc. I also do not understand why there is a surcharge for a microwave and/or minifridge. We didn't have either, but it would have been nice. I have spent less on a hotel than what this resort wants to charge, and yet the hotel had both of those included, not to mention comforters, pools, etc. I would stay at this 'resort' again, if renovations were really made and some changes were made. This is a great location, however I have spent less money and had extremely better value.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kris l
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Fairfield Inn & Suites Orlando Kissimmee/Celebration
Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration
Rodeway Inn Maingate
Rodeway Inn Maingate
#52 of 152 in Kissimmee
Comfort Suites Maingate East
Bohemian Hotel Celebration, Autograph Collection
Quality Inn & Suites By The Parks

Been to Orlando Sun Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!