“A total surprise”

Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort
Ranked #17 of 155 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Somehow I was expecting a typical Holiday Inn room with a nice resort-like atmosphere. What I got was a time-share villa. My parents where upgraded and stayed at River Island section which I would have preferred. Both residencies where very nice but the River Island ones where even better. They were closer to all the better attractions in the resort like the lazy river pool and the only restaurant (out of 9) that serves breakfast. We were silly enough not to have rented a car so we were dependent on the shuttle and external taxis and that got expensive. Next time I will look into staying at the resort hotels, due to having a child that can't walk for so many hours and an afternoon nap would be good.

Otherwise this is a great place and I would probably stay here again. I would defer going on the tour for time a share if you aren't seriously looking into one. They say it takes about 90 minutes but it took three hours. We were interested in one but didn't do enough due diligence to make a decision on the spot.

Room Tip: Ask for River Island section. Much nicer and more centrally located to the better pool and restauran...
2  Thank Miguel S
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Hi there, we’re so happy to hear about your recent stay. Many of our guests are surprised to see all of the benefits of staying with us, when they arrive for the first time. We have four different villages spread across the resort, so it’s great you were able to find where you like it most. We always encourage our guests to rent a car, to get the most out of their vacation with us. However, our shuttle does come in handy around the resort. Did you know that we actually offer car rental onsite? Our tours are a great way to gain information, but we understand that it is important to make an informed decision. We will be here whenever you are ready. See you then!

Write a ReviewReviews (6,158)

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Excellent villa's. The resort is huge! We never got a chance to explore it since we were busy exploring the Theme Parks. This resort has a lot of activities for kids. Golf and Tennis are the major attractions for the older folk. We stayed in the West Bank and found the Market Place an ideal shopping area. For cheaper deals, take a left after the (west bank) security gate and head for the Target Super Center....about a mile. Those wanting to pick up Liquor, please do so at the store opposite the Target entrance (about 100 meters across the parking lot). Liquor is quite pricey (and limited range) in the Orange Lake market place. The Trip and Transportation center is very efficient for Theme Park visits (located to the right of the main reception). They have an ATM as well there. Did not rent a car for Theme park visits. Used Orange Lake's preferred shuttle service provider, Mears. There is a parking charge of USD 14-15 for each park. Plus daily car rentals of about USD 75.

Room Tip: Ask for the villa adjoining the periphery of the Golf course and withing walking distance from the...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Hi there. Thanks for your review. You give great tips about the best way to save money and enjoy a fun stay with us. We couldn’t be happier to have been a home base for your getaway visiting Orlando’s attractions. Next time, give yourself some time around the resort to relax as well. You deserve it! Thanks for your review and we hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I am not one to complain, but I cannot believe this treatment from such a typically wonderful resort

My wife and have been to Orange Lake several time with family members who are owners. We have had mostly wonderful experiences up until this trip. I should have taken the hint when I called to confirm our trip including our "property tour" and was treated like a 3 year old begging for candy at the store when I tried to move our tour time. As a reward for taking the tour we were to receive $140 food and drink vouchers. I explained to the staff member that since our tour was scheduled at the end of our trip we would not have time to use our vouchers. She confirmed to me that I would be able to put food charges on my room and then apply the vouchers toward these charges at the end of our stay..(bad information)

but first...... The Tour

The tour was nice and our salesman was nice at first...as the tour continued and we indicated to him that we would not be purchasing property at this time because we pay for everything in full with cash and do not finance anything he began to lecture us on how young and ignorant we were to do this. My wife and I are 26 years old, so we are young, but we did nothing to deserve being spoke down to for 2+ hrs. It was awful to have to put up with such a verbally abusive salesman. We finally got out of this "Jail-time" after 4 1/2 hrs (supposed to only last 120 minutes tops). They wasted an entire half of a day while managing to treat us like juvenile delinquents.

So.. we finished the tour and went to the front desk to apply our vouchers toward our dinner 2 nights before, come to find we could not do that. The vouchers had to be used at the time of your dinner. I indicated that I was told differently and was asked to go see resorts services. The first lady I spoke with at resorts services told me that they have nothing to do with this and I needed to speak to someone in Marketing. She connected me to a marketing employee with the phone at the waiting table. The marketing employee told me she could not do anything and the person I needed to speak to was not at their desk and they would call me back to clear things up. They also indicated I might be able to speak to someone at the front desk. I thanked her told her to have the manager call me.

Went to the front desk explained the situation and was told I needed to speak to the manager that was in an interview currently but should be available in 30 minutes.

I came back 30 minutes later to find the manager gone again. The staff told me they would leave a message and have the manager call me to figure things out.

Yes that is 2 managers that are supposed to have called me....Never heard from either!!!

We decided to give up for the night since we had off site plans for the evening.

The next morning we went to the front desk and finally was able to speak with a manager who told me they could not do anything that I needed to talk to marketing again.
I called marketing again and again! was told a manager would have to call me back because they were not available. Never heard back from this manager either!!!

about an hour later, I was so fed up I asked to be directed to the office of the CEO (which I still plan to write a letter to) I was directed back to resort services where we met Jodi

Jodi was the only helpful staff member we came in contact with during this escapade! She promptly called marketing spoke to 3-4 people and got a member of management almost immediately. She told him the situation and allowed me to speak to John. John was not helpful in the least. He blamed everything on me saying I should have known I couldn't use the vouchers retroactively (when his staff told me I clearly could!) In the end he would not do anything to help so I asked him to please make sure he trains his staff better so Guests do not end up in this position again.

So we left with $100 worth of food vouchers that expire in a month and no solution to our problem after countless hours of being tossed from member to member and being promised returned calls.....It was a terrible experience that I would have never expected from such a typically great resort.

I'm not sure that we will every return and I would never recommend Orange Lake to anyone again

Room Tip: Go Elsewhere
8  Thank Eric R
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Hello and thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent Orange Lake Resort experience. We can’t thank you enough for staying with us and taking the time to tour our resort. Set at 90 minutes, these optional tours are a great way to find out about the resorts amenities and what vacation ownership can do for the way you vacation in the future. We apologize if our tour ran long and for any mix-up that resulted with your compensation gifts. In an attempt to find out more about your specific situation, we have attempted to contact you through private message. Our tours are set at 90 minutes. However, based on your level of interest, they can run over as our sales team is willing to spend as much time as possible with you to help you make an informed vacation ownership decision. We apologize if you felt that your concerns were not met with care that our guests have come to expect from our staff. We look forward to hearing from you, in an attempt to show you how much fun vacationing with us can be.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

First of all let me tell you we now own two one week timesharies at Orange Lake Resort & Golf, both are two bedroom and two bathrooms. One is the first week in Feb. and the second is 4th of July week. As a single or a couple or the whole family this place is great. There is so much to do there with four golf courses and a lot of swimming pools, at least eight although we have only gone to three. You don't have to leave but if you do there's Disney World about ten minutes down the road and Sea World about thirty minutes away. You can rent a week-end or a week but the best thing to do is call and see what kind of deal they have going.

Room Tip: We have one timeshare in the West Village and one in the East Village, both are great, it all depend...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Let me start by saying ,if you love America you will love orange lake it is top of the range everything ,it is ideally placed for Disney world ,Epcot and animal kingdom is right next door ,universal studios ,discovery cove ,orlando is a short drive away ,the resort has a range of accommodation but the basic in my opinion is top of the range and top of the range is out of this world ,I enjoyed 3weeks of heaven here ,Kennedy space centre is a bit of a trek but well worth it ,as is Busch gardens ,there's a nice little town called celebration nearby ,very quaint ,there are all the major supermarkets close by ,e.g Walmart ,target ,Walgreens is right over the road from the entrance ,there are security patrols constantly ,there are also resort buses that take you where you want(free) I might add ,the pool at west village is great and family entertainment throughout the day in season ,there are other parts to the resort you can take advantage of like the north village has a lazy river a river shaped pool around a kilometre long to float around on a rubber ring with a current pushing you around ,(bliss on the really hot days ) ,with holiday inn we went down to Miami for a few days ,really really nice ,a long drive but well worth the experience ,
A real family resort ,wherever you are staying on the resort they have a local pool nice and quiet ,seeing is believing so glad we purchased here well worth the lifetime of holidays we have had and are still having all round the world I might add .
Why not you work hard and deserve it .

Room Tip: No need to do anything as all apartments are extremely spacious we'll equipped and very comforta...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Mark H
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Wow, thank you so much for your review. We couldn't be happier that you were able to enjoy your time around the resort. Also, congratulations on your vacation ownership purchase. We are sure that it will help you make vacation memories for years to come. You give great advice about the best ways to enjoy your time around the resort. You definitely deserve time out for yourself and your family to relax, and now you have so many fun getaways to look forward to.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

This was my first visit to this resort for a week and loved it. The grounds and rooms are beautiful but wanted to let people know of the tour(sales pitch). They will sign you up for the appointment for the tour at checkin which after traveling on the road for 12 hrs was the last thing I wanted to do. If you do not go to the tour(sales pitch) they will charge you $30 on your room when you checkout and you cannot get it back. The resort is very kid friendly as they have alot for kids to do so be sure and check out all what is on the property for kids. The customer service is a little lacking in the caring dept but it is a great family place. I would def recommend this to families. Oh The washer and dryers are full size which does help with the laundry. I would love to go back to this resort again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Welcome home from your first visit with us. We’re so glad to hear that you and your family were able to enjoy your time with us. You are correct that our tour agents are available at the time of check-in to help you book a tour. However, these tours are not for everyone and always 100% completely optional. We do hold a fully refundable deposit for those guests who do tour with us, to hold your personal sales representative. We urge you to let us know if you have any issues with this deposit. We would love to host you back again as much as you would like to come. Don’t be a stranger.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

parents (owners) invited us for family vacation and we had a great time. the resort is huge and beautiful. rooms were spacious, the employees aimed to please and it was easy to get around. I hope were invited again soon!

1  Thank Marilisa R

How great that you were able to vacation with your parents for a getaway. We couldn’t be happier to hear that you all enjoyed your stay with us, and that our staff made you feel welcome. We love hearing from our guests about their vacations. We hope they invite you back again soon as well.