Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando - Orange Lake Resort
Ranked #16 of 161 Hotels in Kissimmee
NJ
“Great (as always)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is the third time we have stayed at this property. It has undergone some improvements since HI took over. The property is amazing. Numerous pools, activities, lazy river, golf, restaurants, bars, shops, etc. We spent 5 days at the pool and mini-golf, kids loved it. As is the case with most time share presentations, beware! We were offered a $300 pool activity package for $80 if we attended. We did, and the "new, low pressure" presentation we were promised was NOT low pressure, and it lasted 2 1/2 hours instead of the 1 hour presented to us. In the long run, it was still worth $220, just be prepared to say NO about a thousand times, then be treated with near disdain when they finally realize you are not buying. We stayed in the East Village bungalow area. Unit was very comfortable, but somewhat outdated (no flat panel TV's). With a maintenance fee for owners (which we are not, we were on an RCI exchange) of $690 per year, which equates to $35,880 for full occupancy, I would think new TV's would be possible. Overall, Orange Lake is a fantastic family destinantion, we will also consider buying when our situation warrants it. If you are considering buying, wait until the VERY end of the presentation for the best possible deal!

Room Tip: Ask for the towers if possible in the East Village instead of the bungalows
    • 4 of 5 stars
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando - Orange Lake Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
It’s great to hear from you. We always love hearing about our guests vacations. It’s an especially great treat to hear from our return guests. We’re so happy to hear that all of the updates we have made around the resort. We’re always looking for new ways to help our friends vacation better. We’re sorry to hear that you felt your tour experience ran long. Set at 90 minutes, our tours are a great way to find out about ways to vacation better. However, our sales res are willing to spend as much time with you needed to help you make an informed vacation ownership decision. Also, all of our units are in the process of being updated with new televisions. We appreciate you taking the time to write your review and look forward to hopefully seeing you for vacation number four.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,246)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Brockville, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The room appears to be nice, as well as the grounds. This is about the only good thing I can say. Key card has left us locked out 4 times now. After many hours at a theme park this is NOT what my 75-year-old mother needed! When we finally got in the sales pitch message was on the phone. The first sales call of the day was at 8:30 this morning. If mother won't attend the sales presentation she will be charged $30. The other morning there have been at least 2 sales calls. Aggressive doesn't begin to describe the sales pressure. When attending the resort services area to try to get the room key issues resolved again, it seemed as though there were a large amount of other guests there, that were just as dissatisfied (and nearing irate) as I. If you like to swim, this might be an okay place - if you don't, just be prepared to pay, pay, pay! Mother has traveled all over the world and never seen/experienced a place like this. I am disappointed that I worked for months to save for this scam. BEWARE!!!

• 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank Jane B
Hi there. Thanks so much for taking the time to review your recent experience. We are disappointed to hear that your stay has not lived up to your expectations. In an attempt to find out more about your specific situation we have contacted you through private message. We apologize with for any key issues you may have experienced. We always tell our guests to keep their room keys away from any cell phones or electronic devices, as this could deactivate the magnetic strip. You are correct that we hold a deposit from our guests wishing to take a tour. However, this is completely refundable at the end of your 90 minute tour. You are more than welcome to request our resort update calls not be placed to your room. We’re pleased to hear that you have enjoyed the grounds and villa as a home-base for your Disney vacation. We look forward to hearing from you.
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

What a week... i'd recommend this place to anybody. We rented a 2 bedroom condo/room for family of 4 + grandmother. We were amazed at how clean and well maintained the room, building, pools, arcades, change areas, bathrooms were. There was so much for our kids to do they didn't know what to do first. We loved the pools. We spent most of our time at the main pool just behind the registration but spent at least a day at the others. Kids enjoyed the small slide at the pool just down the street and adults loved the fact this pool was a bit warmer than the others and had basketball nets and tennis courts close by.

Our room was spotless when we arrived. There was lots of room in bathrooms and bedrooms. Plenty of space for young kids to play in the room at night and in the mornings. We cooked a few nights in the room's full kitchen and did a few loads of laundry. It was convenient and a big $$$ saver.

I'd go back in a heart beat.

• 5 of 5 stars
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando - Orange Lake Resort, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Hey there, Bill. Thanks so much for letting us know about your recent week stay with us, and the recommendation. Nothing makes us happier than hearing about how mu hour guests were able to enjoy their vacation. Our villas are the perfect place to spread out and still spend time together on vacation, and we’re so glad that you and your family agrees. It’s great that you were able to take advantage of so many of the amenities around the resort. We hope to see you again for more fun in the sun.
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I have stayed on this resort twice, once for business and once for vacation. Overall, these experiences were positive, and I would certainly return.

There are two types of units: two-bedroom apartments, and two-bedroom ground level units (the ground level units have cathedral ceilings). Both are very large, with full size bedrooms (one with an en-suite bathroom and Jacuzzi), a large, well-equipped kitchen, living room, a dining area and a screened-in porch. Every room is furnished very well, in fact I felt quite comfortable staying there for a long duration. Everything is clean and in good repair, and when there are little issues, the resort comes to fix everything immediately. The resort itself is massive, so large in fact that it is possible to be quite far away from all of the numerous amenities (multiple golf courses and pool areas). For this reason, be mindful of where your unit is located if mobility is a factor. In this respect, the resort was not very accommodating, even though I made my wishes known months in advance, and despite the fact that I am a Platinum Priority Club member. These are time-share units, so they feel compelled to accommodate owners needs first.

Because these are time-shares, one must endure the time-share sales pressures that are common in such resorts. They are particularly bad here, in fact checking in was such a long ordeal because of this. When arriving for vacation, I have a hungry and tired family waiting in the hot van for Daddy to check in. This is not the appropriate time to ask me if I've filed for bankruptcy recently. I would advise anyone NOT to mention that they are interested in buying Disney tickets during check-in, even if you do plan to purchase them through the resort. This discussion should happen another time, and is certainly not appropriate during the check-in process. Being a Platinum PC member may have been a hindrance in this case, as they ushered me to a bewildering number of unbearably nice, overly helpful people. At least a got a decent bottle of wine out of it. In the end I passed on the sales pitch; the two hours it would have taken was not actually worth the money saved on the tickets.

Another unwelcome surprise is the 30 dollar ‘portfolio fee’ (or something named to that effect). This is essentially money that they take from you, as hostage, and will only return if you attend the sales pitch. This is a rotten practice and should actually be illegal. If I misunderstand it’s purpose, it’s the fault of the staff I asked who could not give me a straight answer as to why they should do this. They will take this thirty dollars from you every time you stay until you do the sales pitch; I know this because I had been there before and they took it from me then as well.

They will also try to sell you a multi-day pass for use on the resort (at the various amenities, such as mini-golf, the lazy river, and some large hippo slide). My four children are seven and under, so many of these attractions would have been pointless for them. If you are planning to be at amusement parks most of the time during your stay, do not buy this package as it will be a complete waste of money. For 5 days, I believe it would have cost a hundred dollars. I ended paying 18 bucks one day to use the lazy river, so you see the difference.

In terms of amenities, Orange Lake is the largest resort in the Orlando area (apart from WDW of course), and is located immediately beside Walt Disney World. I can’t think of a better place for a family vacation. The six or seven pool areas range from smaller, quiet affairs to the massive River Complex, where they have restaurants, a spa, and the lazy river that winds through the entire place. It’s not quite as impressive as the one at Typhoon Lagoon, but it’s certainly cheaper to do if you children don’t mind. We in fact planned that the resorts own pool areas would replace the necessity of going to any WDW water parks (something you can get away with younger children). There are water sports and jet skis at Orange Lake itself, two mini-golf courses and several regular golf courses. Everything is connected by a shuttle bus. We did not eat at any of the restaurants, with the exception of ordering pizza at the resorts pizza place, which was actually really, really good. Compared to the Hilton Grand Vacations and the Sheraton Vistana (both resorts I've stayed at), there is so much more to offer here.

One drawback: bugs. I’ll be honest: Orange Lake has cockroaches. I've been told that these locally go by the euphemism ‘palm bug’, but they are simply cockroaches. Initially, I had observed them in a ground-level unit, and assumed that the reason why there were bugs was because it was easy for them to enter from outside into a ground-level unit. However, even on the sixth floor, we had roaches, although they were much smaller and less frequent. We are talking roaches that vary in size from about a ¼” in length (in the sixth floor unit) up to 2” in length on the ground level. The odd roach was found (individually, not in large quantities) in the living room, bathroom and bedroom. Now, I’ve lived with roaches in the past, however I have never seen a roach in a hotel room in all my travels, even in nearby resorts like the Hilton Grand and Sheraton Vistana, so I'm not sure how to explain why they are present at Orange Lake. However, I would advise not to let this fact deter anyone from visiting Orange Lake, as they are basically harmless and of little consequence. If roaches bother you, Windex is the most effective way to kill a roach, as it kills them within seconds, doesn't leave a mess, and doesn't spread their eggs. Again, I stress this was a minor irritation, and I saw no evidence of any other bugs in the resort rooms (like bed bugs, for example).

The biggest drawback for me at Orange Lake is the lack of barbecues for guests to use (management, take note, I know you are reading this). When I inquired about using a BBQ, I was told by staff that there were only a few near the West Entrance. They may as well not be there, as I'm not interested in driving there to cook my dinner (certainly not after having a few drinks). But as if to add insult to injury, they are charcoal barbecues, which makes them almost useless to the average resort guest. I know that at the Hilton Grand Vacations on International Drive they have nice covered patios with gas barbecues adjacent to each building (I've used them). It’s a great pleasure to cook outside while on vacation, and Orange Lake should know that this alone could be a deciding factor when choosing a resort. When I mentioned that other resorts had BBQ’s near the buildings, staff at Orange Lake gave a lame response about fire code not allowing BBQ’s near guest units), which was close to being insulting (as if I didn't know what I was talking about).

Again, despite the above criticisms, Orange Lake is worthwhile and enjoyable, and I will return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank bensagle
Falkirk UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Once again Orange Lake exceeded expectations. Since our last visit 4 years ago a few changes have occurred. Check in area light and airy and well laid out. Increased number of agents on duty made it a much easier and quicker process. Helpful and courteous staff made us feel very much at ease. Firstly allocated a ground floor apartment(not keen) so asked if could be moved- within a few minutes- despite the resort being extremely busy we were reassigned to a top floor unit(albeit it to a disability friendly unit) but this was no problem. The apartment was perfectly clean, well equipped and exceptionally comfortable. Great balcony overlooking golf course. Orange Lake has every amenity you could ask for. Golf courses, tennis courts, excellent pools, kids activities, restaurants and bars. Very friendly environment for walks at all times of day with ample street lighting for evening walks. Walking great if you want to meet people from all over the globe - as we did - had a great time trying to understand each others accents - just ask them about my Scottish tongue!!!!!!!!! River Island offers a lazy river and plenty of sun loungers together with snack bars, restaurants, shopping and mini market. Great place for kids, of all ages, to have fun. Some live entertainment makes for fun filled evenings. Oh and shuttle service a bonus for getting around the resort. Overall -despite the worst two weeks of weather we have experienced in twenty years of Florida Vacations- (Hey I am from Scotland and know what rain means!!)Orange Lake rose to the occasion and gave us a very enjoyable experience. Highly recommend the resort.

Room Tip: Apartments in East or North Village quiter and more modern
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Broxibill
Hello and thanks for much for your review. We couldn't be happier that you felt your stay and our staff exceeded your expectations. Nothing makes us happier than this, because after all that’s what we’re here for. We appreciate you letting our staff know right away of any needs you encountered during your stay, specifically a room change request. One of the best parts about a stay with us is the different people that you are able to meet from all around the world. It’s the one, big Orange Lake family. You give some great tips in your review to future travelers, and we thank you for that. We hope to see you again in the future.
Tewksbury, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I'm actually writing this as I sit here and get ready to leave tomorrow. We arrived early and was able to be checked in even though you aren't supposed to be here until 4. Immediately was offered to take the tour and receive $80 cash for doing so. We quickly declined and told them we are just here on vacation and aren't interested in a time share. Our room was clean, smelled horrible but we dealt with it. We stayed in the main building, 1 bedroom villa I guess. The bed sucks, pillows were terrible. Breezes bar was nice. We did get calls all the time for the tour and continued to deny them. The tvs are terrible! Horrible picture, crappy channels. The couch in the living area is hard as a rock and the carpets are in need of some serious cleaning. Other then that, everything was fine. Hopefully a smooth check out.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Hi there. Thanks so much for taking time out of your vacation to let us know about your stay. We’re disappointed to hear that your stay has not lived up to all that you had hoped for. We always encourage our guests to let us know during their stay if there is anything that we can do to make it better. However, we appreciate you letting us know what we can work on in the future. We hope that the rest of your vacation was enjoyable.
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My whole family (22) stayed here. Three families in the West Village ( 2 bedroom units) and one at River Island.(3 bedroom).

This is a perfect place for families especially with children. River Island probably has the best facilities for kids. The lazy river is fun but you have to rent tubes. There isn't actually and area you can swim.

At the West Village there are two pools, Both excellent for swimming, but early in the morning as they become very crowded by midday. Temperatures range from 82-84 degrees. The hot tub is OK and usually overcrowed and not as hot as I would prefer. It opened at 7 AM and closed at 11PM

I don't usually play bingo but each weekday there is a bingo at 9:30. Three games are usually played with pots between 65 and 120 dollars. It depends on the number of players. The fee is $5.00 for 6 cards. Lots of seniors.

The unita are all comfortable and well stocked kitchens. Plenty of towels and sheets and washer dryer is a bounus. They supply laundry soap and dishwasher soap as well as t towels and J cloth. Grocery store (Publix) is at one entrance and Target is about 1/2 mile down the road.

The resort is cashless. It was a real bonus not having to carry money or a credit card around the resort. You can choose to have it deactivated if you want to, but then you must carry a credit card.

Units are very comfortable with lots of places to sit and watch TV. TV in both bedrooms as well as living room.

As for the title, it is a busy place. I found the piped in music bothersome. You could not get away from it, but it is not loud. You can talk over it. This place is so central to all attractions. 1/2 hour from Seaworld and Disney depending on traffic. Universal was about 40 minutes.

All in all I highly recommend this resort. Especially the West Village. Beware of all the timeshare people. It really isn't worth the 3 hours of your holiday.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
1 Thank PatsyCline
Hi there and thanks so much for your review. How wonderful that you and your family vacation party were able to stay with us and spread out on vacation. We always love to hear about those special vacations where everyone gets to come together and just be themselves. Our villas offer more room and more comfort to our guests than a traditional hotel would. We are sorry to hear that you felt the resort and its amenities were a little too crowded for your tastes. However, will four villages spread over 2,000 plus acres, we strive to offer something for everyone across the resort. We appreciate the recommendation on your stay and we would love to host you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista South
Polynesian Isles Resort
Polynesian Isles Resort
#2 of 161 in Kissimmee
4.5 of 5 stars 739 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando - Orange Lake Resort? Share your experiences!