Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort
Ranked #20 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is a very big resort spread over countless acres within a few miles of Disney just off the 192 Hoighway. The resort caters for golfers with at least 4 golf courses on site, but there is plenty of other activities on site such as Tennis, Basketball, Boating, Mini-Golf, Adventure Playpark, Climbing Walls, Arcades, Shops, Restaurants, Swimming Complexes and a Lazy River. We stayed in a very substantial villa suitable for 8 although there were only 3 of us. Plenty of local wildlife on site - egrets, alligators, snakes, herons, raccoons to name a few were all spotted reguularly. The whole property is very well maintained. I stayed here previously in 2001. It remains just as good as it was then, if substantially bigger and busier.

1  Thank FairCityFrasie
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to review your recent family getaway with us. You are correct that we are a large resort spread across four villages. However, we are constantly striving to make sure that we offer our guests the very best amenities and entertainment throughout all of the villages. We’re happy to hear that our “wildlife welcoming committee”. They always love to tell our guests hello. It’s so wonderful that you were able to visit us again after your stay 11 years ago. You can’t give us any higher compliment than a return stay, so thank you and we hope to see you back again soon.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort

Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is a time-share resort, so expect the typical phone calls and pressure that you would from any time share - easy enough to deal with as we took the phone off the hook on the second day (we all had cell phones). As is typical with a time share resort you have to pay extra if you want housekeeping during your stay unless you are staying for more than 2 weeks.
What I really did not like is that fact that you are charged a resort fee, but it includes nothing! If you want to rent a tube for the lazy river, it is going to cost you $9/per person. Want to do the big water slide? $3/ride, or $9 for an hour!! Mini-golf - $9/per person (and nothing for theming). Why am I being charged a resort fee when none of this is included? Room was dark and the rug was in need of a deep cleaning...I walked around in my socks for a bit while I was unpacking and they were nasty after only a few minutes.
Front desk staff was not exactly friendly and raced through the check-in procedure to get to their break, leaving me with lots of questions about costs of extras that I had to wait until I got to my room to call about.
For the price, though, it suited our needs. I loved the fact that there was a kitchen and the location is really quite close to the theme parks. There is a Super Target nearby that you can get some provisions to stock your kitchen with.
Next time I will go back to the Sheraton Vistana where the rooms are nicer, the porches larger, the property cleaner and the staff much more friendly and helpful. Sure it costs a bit bit more, but I think that it might be a better value.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank phoenixflameamy

Hello. Thanks so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed your vacation, but disappointed to read that you encountered a few disappointments. We always encourage our guests to us know of any issues while they are on property, so that we can sure that you have the very best vacation experience possible. You are correct that our property does charge a resort fee. We find that the fee charged by our property is much lower than those of many other properties in Orlando. Included in our resort fee are access to many activities such as 7 pools, waterslides, free golf for children and even more. You mentioned some of our premium activities in your review. You are correct that there is a charge above the resort fee for these premium amenities. Some of these include: four golf courses, poolside massages, watercraft rental, and access to the FunZone. A great way to take advantage of many of these premium amenities is through our PlayPass. Available in multi-day increments, these passes offer you unlimited access to our inflatable waterslide, bungee trampolines and mini-golf, just to name a few. We apologize if you did not feel there was value in your resort fee. We would love to host you again in the future to show you how much fun vacationing with us can be.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I had read a lot of reviews before going to this hotel and thought I was prepared. At check in they did try to get us to take a tour. We said no and that was it. I guess they have had a lot of complaints and they are finally leaving guests alone. What we were not told was that if you leave a credit card on file (it's a no cash resort) they automatically put a $250 hold on your card. If you don't spend that money it still stays on hold for up to 10 days after you check out. That is hard for a family on a budget. My suggestion is don't put a card on file and use your debit or credit card everywhere.

The pool areas are fantastic. It does cost money to rent a tube daily for the lazy river. Actually all the activities cost money there. There are wrist bands that you can purchase to have unlimited access but I feel some activities should have been included (like tube rental or mini golf). We never saw a water park...maybe we were not in the right area.

We had a first floor room. The room was nice and kitchenette was great. Our room over looked the air conditioners though. When we checked in the girl told us that the inner rooms had no window so we told her to give us another room. It not true though. The inner rooms have a window facing a beautiful atrium. We realized that after checking in. We honestly would rather have had that view instead of looking at air conditioning units.

The hotel was very close to everything. There is a publix very close by with a lot of restaurants. Applebee's has happy hour all day long now!!! The food at the resort is good too. You get coupons for pizza upon check in which was pretty good. If you are going to buy drinks there I suggest getting a souvenir beer mug. You can refill it for a lot cheaper and you can also go to your room fill it up and walk around the resort with it.

Overall, we enjoyed ourselves. We were surprised by a few things though. It was a good experience but we would do things differently if we were to stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Jerilyn W

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent family getaway with us in sunny Orlando. We’re glad to hear that overall you and your family were able to enjoy yourselves during your stay with us. We are constantly striving to make sure that our guests have the very best vacation experience possible. We would like to address a few of the points that you brought up in your review. You are correct in the fact that we offer the ability to charge items to your room. Many of our guests find this an added bonus as they do not have worry about keeping up with credit cards or cash during your stay. However, this is optional and you do have the right to decline this benefit at check-in. We are disappointed to hear that you missed the benefits of the interactive water features and slides throughout the resort; they are always a crowd-pleaser. You mentioned various charges for some of our premium activities. You are correct that there are extra fees for some of our more popular activities such as activities in the FunZone, golf, cabanas and tube rentals for the lazy river. A great way to take advantage of these activities and save money at the same time is to take advantage of our PlayPasses. They are available in multi-day increments and offer unlimited access to tube rentals, mini-golf and the FunZone. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you again in the future, for more family fun.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

After reading the mixed reviews we were anxious on arrival.

we had travelled for 10 hours from London and wanted to start our holiday.

On first impression the property looked nice, well maintained. a great start. this is where it got worse.

I had requested prior to arrival a room near the activites and a pool, as my mother has mobility issues.

As i reached the desk a ;'surly faced' receptionist asked my name. i asked her whats the weather been like etc, making small talk trying to be nice. she just shrgged her shoulders!!!!! Jara was her name or something similar. Very Very Rude.

She didnt look up the whole time!! i then said if possible could we be put in the river island area as per my request and explained my mothers issues, she said ' only timeshare people get put in the river island rooms, and as its thursday you wont get much choice anyway!!!!!' when i booked i wasnt told this!!!

I then asked for maybe the 'west village' she spent the next 20mins looking, she eventually gave me the key, when we finally after 10 mins driving found the villa, it was possibly the furthest villa from the pool as possible, we didnt even go in , just went straight back to reception.

I approched the desk, and asked to see the manager. Only to be ushered into the cusotmer services room.....Emilie then helped me and tried her hardest to find me a room.
She was very nice.

We neded up in the East Village, the room was old and dated but seemed clean. we were to tired to go back again.

We on check in put cash on our room card instead of having nasty surprises on return.

One day we went to the bar and ordered drinks only to be emabarrsed by the lady behind the counter to say oh it says your privilages have been removed......it says you have checked out!!!!!!

We went to reception to query this and the lady said oh its because you only have $60 credit!!!!! what!!! credit means credit!!!! she made the change and we paid for the drinks.
No apology, how can they do that we were we in credit!!!!

In the evening we rang to speak to the manager ' and again he wasnt around' i spent 10 minutes explaining the issue and asked them to tell us whats happening here... she left me on hold for 10 mins, i then thought maybe she said she'd call back, so i re-dailled then i had to repeat the same thing all over again as she'd gone!!!

All they do is call you everyday asking for cusotmer surveys etc, when you tell them of an issue, you can hear they couldnt care a less!!!!!! just going through the motions.

We also had clothing and other small items go missing from our room!!!! we didnt even bother complianign about this as the above has been so horrendous.

Also finally the day before we were going home we came home to find the kitchen cleaned (even though it was clean) whats the point!!! we were leaving the next day why bother....

Beautiful resort well maintained, staff around pools and other areas really nice, but reception staff dreadful and we wouldnt return or recommend this resort to anyone...

7  Thank ClaireMartin_12
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Hello there. Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience with us. We are constantly striving to offer the best service and care to all of our guests. We are disappointed to hear of your experience, as it is not the type of service that our guests have come to expect from us. In an attempt to find out more about your specific situation we have attempted to contact you through private message. Until then, we will address some of your issues here. While we cannot guarantee any specific type of accommodation, we try our best to accommodate all of our guests where it is convenient to them. We appreciate you letting us know if your accommodations were not suiting to your needs, and that we were able to relocate you. You will find that each of our villages throughout the resort has its own unique features and pools, which are all ADA accommodating. We apologize if there was a mix-up regarding the credit on your room charge account. As the balance gets low, our management attempts to contact those guests to encourage them to replenish to avoid any rejected charges. We are pleased that we were able to provide you not only a resolution, but credit to your account as well. In reference to any items becoming missing from your room, we take the safety and security of our guests and villas our top priority. We look forward to hearing from you in response to our message, to investigate this issue further. We would like to opportunity to make your issues right, and look forward to working with you.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

(1) you get charged $125 for hotel amenities but get nothing for it (2) Hotel room was very dark with window only facing in to a dark indoor atrium (3) Up to 6phone calls a day trying to sell you vacation club / time shares (4) We were meant to have a house keeping on our tenth day but did not get it when we asked for it they come on the 13th day, the day before we checked out (5) walls very thin and when a party was going on next door at 23:30 reception did not want to do anything about it so I had to ask the people to turn the music down I was lucky that they were nice people and just politely turned it down with no trouble (6) the beds are lumpy and need changing as they have seen better days (7) for a hotel that is meant to be of a god standard I would say I have stayed in far better 2 star hotels we are very disappointed.

Room Tip: If you still would like to stay here ask for a room that faces outside not in to the atrium. I woul...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello there. Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. We are disappointed that you feel you could not recommend our property. To find out more about your specific issues and situation, we have attempted to contact you through private message. We are unsure what charges you are referencing that are $125.00. Our hotel does charge our renters a small resort fee daily to cover activities such as parking, WIFI, and access to our many amenities such as 9 pools and the lazy river. We have found that many properties around Orlando are charging upwards on $20.00 a day for these same amenities we offer at less than ½ of that price. We always encourage all of our guests to let us know if any needs that they encounter during their stay. We always want to work with you to ensure that you have the very best vacation experience possible. We apologize if you felt that your concerns were not addressed in a manner that you would have liked. We would love to have you back again. We are looking forward to your response to our message.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I accept that everyone has their opinion and sees things differently. My opinion is Orange Lake is a is a great place to stay...especially for the money!!! We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo with kitchen and screened in porch. Our room was nice and very clean. After reading review here, I was looking for things to complain about but I found nothing. At check-in, I was asked twice to take the tour of the facilities and politely said no thanks. I never heard another word about it the remainder of our stay. My only complaint is that they still have tube tvs in the room we were in. We stayed at the resort one day and it would have been nice to have the HD flat screen that I'm used to, but that is a minor thing.

1  Thank WatermelonSeedBoss

Hi there, and welcome home from your recent family getaway with us. Nothing makes us happier than hearing about our guests vacations with us. We love offering our guests more room to spread out while still retaining the value that our guests have come to expect from us over the years. We understand that our tours are not for everyone, and appreciate you considering taking one. However, time spent on vacation and we understand that they are not for everyone. We appreciate your comment regarding the TV. We are actually in the process of upgrading all of our villas to new televisions. We hope that we have the opportunity to host you again.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Just returned for one week at the Holdiay Inn at Orange Lake with friends. They stayed in a 2 bedroom (5 people) with a screened patio overlooking the lake and we stayed in a studio (2 people) with no view or patio - both located in the West Village. The general opinion of all the parties was this was a nice place and a good location. I will list some of the pros and cons of our visit along with some tips. We checked in late (11:30) and our friends were already there having arrived earlier, the woman checking us in sent us to our friends room instead of ours even thou I handed her the confirmation which clearly indicated "studio". This was inconvenient, since we parked the car and carted all our luggage up, only to discover it was the wrong room. She then wanted to give us an interior room which I complained about and so she gave us a room with a window. Once we were in the room, we found it to be large, clean and nicely equipped with refrig., microwave, stovetop, dishwasher and plates, pots, glasses, etc. We discovered the safe did not work and tv only got 6 stations. The next day we asked for repair, however it finally took 4 phone calls for it to be finally fixed. We did find the repair people to be competent and polite. After these minor problems, the rest of the week went smoothly. We enjoyed the pool area and Breezes restaurant. Thought food was good and prices reasonable. We had a poor meal at the Legacy Sports Grill, however the pizza in the West Village was good. Some other reviews suggested the timeshare push......our friends encountered this since they arrived early and were convinced to take the "tour", however because of too many people they were left behind and never did get the tour of the resort. I think they waited for about 45 minutes and then left with some tickets for misc. things at the resort. We were never confronted by the "sharks" in the lobby nor ever received phone calls pushing the time share. The resort likes to leave messages regarding activities which might be helpful if you were interested in participating. People should be aware that these are timeshare units which means no housekeeping. We did not find this to be a problem but some people might. We were in the main building and there is free laundry facilities. Midway thru the week we asked for clean towels and they were provided. For some reason we also received housekeeping that same day. I think the resort could use a little more communication regarding this......we read all about it in the book in the room but think you should be provided this information upon check in. The studios in the main building do not have patios and some are interior rooms which I found odd being in Florida. This is a very large resort divided into four villages. We basically stayed in the West Village but you can drive or take resort transportation if you want to visit the other villages since there are lot of things to do on the property ( golf, tennis, lazy river, minature golf, arcades, pools, shops and restaurants) Other reviews commented on the cleaniness. We found our room very clean, as was the rest of the resort so not sure what other guests were talking about. Their are lots of little lizzards running around but after all we are in Florida and I can't imagine anyone having a problem with those. In general, even though we got off to a rough start, we thought this was a clean, family friendly and nicely equipped resort. Personally we still like to stay on Disney property, but we would gladly stay there again and recommend the resort to future visitors.

Room Tip: Be aware of interior studios with no outside window.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Hi there. Welcome home from your recent vacation with us. It’s so wonderful that you were able to combine your trip with your friends. We apologize if there was any mix-up with your arrival room assignment. However, we are delighted to hear that your accommodations provided you with the space that you needed to relax and spread out during your stay with us. We always encourage all of our guests to let us know of any needs that they encounter during their stay with us, and we appreciate you giving us the opportunity to make sure that you had the very best stay possible.

Our property tours are a great way to learn about all of the amenities available around the resort, as well as the benefits that vacation ownership has to offer. However, these tours are always optional to our guests. We apologize for any confusion that occurred around your friends tours, but are happy to hear that they were able to enjoy the parting gifts. You couldn't give us any higher compliment than a return stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek
#27 of 154 in Kissimmee
Polynesian Isles Resort
Polynesian Isles Resort
#2 of 154 in Kissimmee

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort? Share your experiences!