“Really Nice family resort”

Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort
Ranked #20 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
UP
“Really Nice family resort”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We have stayed at this resort twice. The condos are nice and clean. The pools are large but not crowded. We golfed and everyone seemed to have a great time. It is located within a short drive to the parks and has a grocery store on sight. I would recommend it. Beware of the timeshare people, they can ruin a vacation.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank kutchej
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
It’s great to hear from you. Thanks so much for taking the time to review your recent round two stay with us. We’re happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of so many of the amenities in and around our resort. We disappointed to see that you didn’t care for our sales staff, but are glad to see that you didn’t let it affect your vacation. We hope to see you back again for a third times a charm in sunny Orlando.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,428)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

The resort itself is nice but there were things I was not a fan of. For example, there was a dead Roach in the master bedroom, the jacuzzi in the master bathroom did not look clean and the shower door did not properly shut. awful smell of garbage on the first floor by the elevator the garbage sat there for most of my stay. Staff at the bar by check in was great. Pool staff by lazy river were not so friendly.

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank ineedavacation88
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Hello there and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Orange Lake Resort. As a TripAdvisor contributor you know what you like in a stay and we certainly recognize that. We’re glad to hear that your stay with us at the resort was nice, but disappointed to hear that you encountered a few issues. Our units are thoroughly inspected and serviced by our Housekeeping departments in between guests. We invite all of our guests to let us know right away if there is anything that we can do to make their vacation stay with us as great as possible. Our staff are here to make sure that you have the best vacation possible. We are glad to hear that our staff at and around check-in were there to assist in that. We apologize if some of our other staff did not make you feel this way. We want all of our guests to be able to relax and enjoy themselves on vacation. Thanks again for the review. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the future.
Morganfield, Kentucky
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Some people will never be happy, especially when they are already in a bad mood and then something else goes wrong. When my family and I planned our Disney Vacation, I was a bit apprehensive about staying at this resort because of some of the appalling reviews. However, we decided to stay at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Resort in Orange Lake, FL and do not regret it! We arrived late (around 6:00 or so) because I had read about how hectic the 4:PM check-in is, so we were checked in within ten minutes (Moral: research). I admit that I was very apprehensive about this place because of the reviews I had read, but there was no need for the apprehension. Perhaps my experience was just better than others, but here is my review AND my response to some of the other “reviews:”
• “NO ROOM SERVICE!” NO ROOM SERVICE!” ( Reviewed July 5, 2012) – "The resort was very clean and spacious, but they charge you for room service.” --- Well, this is a resort where people stay in a “home like” environment. It is not a hotel; it is a home away from home, so clean up after yourself (thus the vacuum cleaner and cleaning supplies). Also, for stays over 10 days there is a complimentary cleaning.
• “Too big for itself” (Reviewed July 4, 2012) – “This property is very nice, but just too large. The pools with slides/lazy river, bungy jumps, etc... is at the total other end of the complex.” --- Well, that all depends upon where you stay, doesn’t it? Everything on the resort is within walking distance, and the whole time I was there I saw shuttles everywhere. Also, you must realize that some people will say that there is not enough to do…how can you please everyone??? Give people choices…which is what they do.
• “dont stay at clubhouse” ( Reviewed July 4, 2012) – “When checking in at noon we were told room was vacant but needed cleaning and shouldn't be long. almost 4 hours later our room was finally ready!” --- Guess what, check in is at 4:PM. As far as the comments about the “lowlife guests who wouldn't clean after themselves [who bring] a whole slew of non guests with them for day,” --- you will find people like this everywhere in the world. As far as “what you see on Orange lake website not necessarily [being] what you actually get,” --- it sounds to me like the “club-house” is the “hotel” portion of the resort, which is what you would expect when staying at a hotel. As for the place being a “Cashless resort,” --- again, research, research, research.
• “Don't Stay At This Property!! Cockroach Infested!!” ( Reviewed July 3, 2012) – “I had to go to GUEST SERVICES and not only complain about …the issue of the GIANT cockroaches [even after someone] supposingly spray[ed]. The next night … again roaches were running all over the villa. [G]uest services offered no SINCERE apologies [but] offered us another villa to sleep in for the night…[where there were] sure enough more roaches.” --- This is one to which I really do not know how to explain since we saw one wood roach outside the entire time we were there (over a week). I will say that if I stayed in a place where I felt uncomfortable, I would leave, demand and receive my refund and go elsewhere…THEN! You also said that, “While we were there a 11 year old girl was fatally injured at River Island. --- My family was right there and were so saddened by the negligence of this resort.” We must have been there at the same time because the fatality occurred while we were there also. This was indeed a tragedy, however, I have yet to hear who was at fault in this case.
• “Holiday Inn Orange Lake Resort” ( Reviewed July 3, 2012) – “I agree to a tour an it was suppose to be 2 hrs but turned into 3hrs.” --- Ahhh, yes, the dreaded tour. The way to handle that is to either NOT agree to the tour in the first place (face it, we agree to the tour for the freebies!), or, set the timer on your cell phone. When the salesperson begins the “presentation,” start the count down. When their time is up, you have fulfilled your obligation and may leave. You said that “the second to last [sales person] was RUDE an told me to stop texting my children who were back in the room freaking out because we were late." --- When we were there, I told our sales person that we had to leave at a certain time and that we would be cutting the time close as our daughter had an appointment at the “Bibbidy Bobbidy Botique” in Downtown Disney. Our salesperson actually sped things up, and when it looked like we might be a little late, she called the boutique, herself, to ensure our spot was saved! “You also had to pay for the lazy river tubes.” --- Well, that’s what they say, but you can always find an abandoned tube, to play on, then leave it for someone else. “This is a resort in Orlando were people come to go to Disney an other parks an usually do not return to the resort till around 5pm exactly when they close the lazy river an slides…” --- When we were there, nothing closed until 10PM.
• “Do NOT recommend to a friend, or even an enemy!!!” ( Reviewed July 1, 2012) – “the front desk people as well as their supervisors were patronizing (patronizing or trying to explain things in detail so there is no misunderstanding???)... the carpets were stained, the furniture was ancient, there was pubic hair in the bathroom & it smelled. We complained and they switched our room to another one... Basically, the same room but worse than the 1st... [the] hot water went within 5 minutes..we took cold showers that night and the next day...spiders and insects galore....[the] screen door was broken, shades in bedroom didn't cover window n we got the 6am sun waking us up & shining in our eyes. our DVD was broken and we called to have it fixed, the man who came was rud, listening to his iPod.” --- Again, I will say that if I stayed in a place where I felt that uncomfortable, I would leave and demand and receive my refund and go elsewhere…THEN! You also said, “... And that pool does not get cleaned..there was garbage and soil and crap floating around the whole thing.... “ --- Again, you must not have been there when I was as every morning the pool was crystal clear, free of debris, and inside and outside the pool was always clean.

Finally, I want to agree with some of those who feel differently that some of the above reviews:
• “Great place for a family. Do not hesitate.” ( Reviewed June 30, 2012) –
o Breezes: In the West Village. We LOVED this place in the evenings. This is the place to be at night. There is a large pool here comfortable enough to let kids run & play without chasing & worrying about them every second. Every night they have the Sunset Celebration where a fun crew entertains with limbo, hula hoop contests, face painting, etc... To be honest, we took our own beer & no one cared.
o River Island: This is the huge area where you will find the most water entertainment. There is a fun zone where everything does cost money. Use your judgement to determine if the play pass is worth it for your family.
o All in all, I was very pleased with this property. Lots to do & more than favorable accommodations.
o If you're on the fence about staying here, stop thinking, just do it. You won't regret it.

Now, a few words from me…
• In some of the above reviews, it sounds to me that some people are confusing the “resort” with the “hotel.”
• People do not look at things as if THEY were the owners. At first the idea of a “Cashless” resort upset me until I looked at it from the resort’s point of view. I have personally been “stiffed” by people who write bad checks, etc. Having the “cashless” resort ensures that the resort and its owners will receive what they should; they will not be “stiffed.”
• The only real problem we had is that when we arrived, our key card did not work. The staff promptly sent someone up to the room to let us in and bring us functioning key cards. For our delay, the resort gave us a $50.00 certificate good for anything in the resort…really nice!

Our two bedroom villa came with:
• an 8 piece place setting of dishes, silverware, and extra glasses
• extra utensils, knives, storage bowls with lids, measuring cups, pots, pans, a strainer, etc
• dishwashing detergent AND dishwasher liquid
• dish cloths and towels, a roll of paper towels, placemats, a pitcher, extra bags for regular trash and recycling
• a dishwasher with a disposal
• a vacuum, broom and dustpan, cleaning buckets and supplies for cleaning
• detergent for the clothes washer
• Extra towels, wash clothes, linens, and pillows (and soft, comfortable pillow top beds)
• and many other items; too many to mention
• the pool areas also have a huge bin stacked with warm beach/pool towels

There is also a LOT of “free” things to do all over this place! You could enjoy your entire vacation without leaving this resort. It is truly a “home away from home.”

Tell them L. Carr from Kentucky sent you...enjoy!

Room Tip: We stayed in East Villiage...it was great. We were on the 3rd floor and If you looked just right th...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
19 Thank L C
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Hello, Ms. Carr. Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough and in-depth review of your recent stay with us. You certainly do both our company and your fellow TripAdvisor reviewer community a huge service by pointing out so many great tips and insights into having a successful vacation stay with us. You also give us many compliments that we certainly thank you for. We appreciate you acknowledging the tragic accident that occurred during your stay. The safety and security of our guests, owners and employees is our utmost priority. Our thoughts are with the families and all those affected by the accident. We have reconfirmed that our pool decks and amenities are safe for guest use.
We always encourage all of our guests to bring up any issues that they may encounter during their stay, as we constantly strive to make sure that all of our guests have the best vacation experience possible. Thanks again for our review, we can’t wait to have you back!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We have been coming here for the past four years. It is a wonderful, clean resort with lots of activities for every member of the family. Golf, lazy river, arcade games, restaurants (which now deliver to your room). There is a resort fee, although you do have to pay for all activities (tube rentals, mini golf, arcade), and do note this is a time share resort, so you will get a phone call almost every day about 9 am to join the tour. The condos are spacious, and this is what brings us here every time! This time we were here during the Debbie tropical storm so unfortunately we weren't able to enjoy the amenties too much, so it was wonderful that the condos are large if you're stuck inside. We were in the East Village, the bathrooms are more spacious than the townhouses, and at 10:00 pm every night you can enjoy the Disney fireworks from your condo. If you do encounter anything that needs to be looked after, you can always go to the customer service desk located at the check-in, they do work with you to solve any issues.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Rahway, New Jersey
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The resort was very clean and spacious, but they charge you for room service. They have these tours for you to attend which is horrible and take off your vacation spirit. It goes on and on for hours, i would rather not go back there. if you want to have a good vacation and not end up cleaning behind you do not choose this resort.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Aadiv_28
Hello and thanks for your review. We are disappointed to hear that your expectations were not met on your vacation. You are correct that we are unlike a traditional hotel in that we do not offer daily complimentary housekeeping services. Many of our guests find that the privacy offered by this is an added convenience to your stay. We do, of course, offer services anytime on demand, and complimentary mid-week cleanings to those guests staying longer than 10-days. Set at 90 minutes, our sales tours are a great way to find out about the amenities available around the resort as well as what vacation ownership can do for your family and the way that you travel in the future. However, these tours can run longer based on your questions and level of interest. Our team is always happy to spend as much time with you that’s needed to help you make an informed vacation ownership decision. We hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can show you how much fun a vacation with us can be.
Mountain View, California
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Our family's first time here and probably last. I didn't realize it was a timeshare resort when we made the reservation or we wouldn't have come. This property is very nice, but just too large. The pools with slides/lazy river, bungy jumps, etc... is at the total other end of the complex.

When I made my reservation, I deliberately ordered a bungalow with a jacuzzi tub because I have a very bad back. It doesn't work, no one ever addressed that. There is an ant infestation in the bathroom and there isn't a single washcloth in the entire place. Sort of strange.

If beds are an issue for you, take note of the many, many reviews about the beds at this place. They are not only firm, they are the most uncomfortable things I've ever slept on in any hotel. :( Very unacceptable for a resort. There is no customer service here to speak of, but plenty of people to bug you into sitting in on a property tour which we refused to do.

It is also very cold in the room. We set the thermostat up to 72 then 75 and it the air conditioner still blows and blows. I don't think it recognizes the thermostat at all. Thank heavens it is so hot outside you can open the doors for a bit to warm it up.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Deborah F
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Hello there from Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Orange Lake Resort. We appreciate you taking the time to write us regarding your stay. We delighted that you chose to stay with us, but disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay as much as you were hoping to. You are correct that we are a vacation ownership property, but we are also so much more than this. We actually offer villa rentals every day of the year, without any link to our vacation ownership program. You are also correct that we are a larger resort than some of our guests may be used to. However, we offer many different villas spread out through four different villages, each with its own set of amenities and activities. We truly strive to offer something for everyone in our home away from home atmosphere. We always encourage our guests to let us know of any issues or needs that they may encounter during their stay with us, so that we can make sure they have the best vacation experience possible. We would love the opportunity to host you again to show you how much fun vacationing with us can be. Thanks again for your review.
Fanwood, New Jersey
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We are vacation club owners and stayed at Orange Lake for first time and stayed at a one bedroom in clubhouse building, bad choice! When checking in at noon we were told room was vacant but needed cleaning and shouldn't be long. almost 4 hours later our room was finally ready! when heading out to dinner our fellow guests threw there garbage in hallway , pizza boxes ,wet towels and trash , not to be picked up until the next morning! Resort mgr didn't think it was too important , trash stayed till morning. Pool area in west village a pig sty, partially due to lowlife guests who wouldn't clean after themselves, and due to poor maintenance. Very different clientele at clubhouse compared to River island. When visiting river island for day people very different about cleaning after themselves, different clientele,noticed some of the lowlifes from west village came there for day as well, bringing a whole slew of non guests with them for day.(resort should consider charging a higher fee for visitors to curtail this). Oh yeah, what you see on Orange lake website is not necessarily what you actually get. When "viewing" what appears to be a full size fridge in room plan, you'll find a half fridge in clubhouse one bedroom unit. Be careful when they say " equipped kitchen" in description,you won't find an oven either. Cashless resort , what a load of you know what. You can either have resort authorize 250 dollars upon check in , or purchase gift cards in marketplace , with cash, go figure.... I was given a 50 dollar gift certificate but couldn't use it! I couldn't buy a gift card with it , nor could I redeem it at front desk. Had to go to resort manager office, turn gift certificate in to credit account , then go to front desk so they can give me cash , in this cashless resort , so I can walk back to marketplace to give them cash to buy a gift card so I can purchase goods. ... Believe me I'm not that difficult guest that's not happy with anything , Orange Lake just did a horrible job managing West Village during my stay....

Room Tip: River island best , north village is nice as well
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank dennish550
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek
#26 of 152 in Kissimmee
Polynesian Isles Resort
Polynesian Isles Resort
#2 of 152 in Kissimmee

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort? Share your experiences!