“The Potential is there”

Champions World Resort
Ranked #33 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed September 9, 2009

Champion’s World Resort is by no means a stellar resort comparable to most of the Disney properties, Hyatt Grand Cypress, Gaylord Palms or some of the other mega resorts in Orlando. It is also not the worst hotel I have seen in the Central Florida area either. It is one of the cheapest properties I have come across (by cheapest I mean average per nightly cost for a room) in the many years I have been traveling to Orlando. But do not avoid this property because of the price, it is a true value compared to other hotels in the Central Florida area I have found priced between $20 and $30. While there we notice larges patches of dirt everywhere. Areas which probably were once home to nice green lawns and some pretty bushes and shrubs. Overnight someone places dozens of plants and bushes in the patches of dirt; this showed us that Champions World Resort is working on improving their resort instead of watching it decay away like so many other dated hotels along 192.

Surprisingly to us, the hotel room was extremely roomy. We have traveled a lot to the Orlando area recently and Champions Gate World Resort was one of the largest rooms we have had yet for a standard hotel room. Even the bathroom, which sometimes seems like a jail cell in some hotels, was rather big and did not feel cramped at all. While on the topic of the bath room, one of the only complaints I had of the resort was the complexity of adjusting the knobs in the bath tub. It took a few tries before I was able to have a nice warm shower without it being extremely freezing or overly hot.

The room its self was a standard hotel room complete with the chest of drawers, television, coffee maker, iron, table and two chairs. Even with these items in the room there was still lots of space allowing for lots of mobility in the hotel room.

The hotel features three pools on the premises, the largest being the covered pool located next to the main building. During winter we were told this pool is a heated pool, but since it was the summer/ fall time it was somewhat chilly seeing how no sunlight ever hit the pool due to its location under the large covering. Next to the covered pool is a children’s pool. There is nothing special about these pools, no water slides, no water sprayers, they are just pool, but those looking for a bargain hotel are probably willing to sacrifice amenities such as those in order to secure a hotel room for sometimes under $25 a night. The other two pool are located in different areas of the property, one even includes a hotel tub which we did not visit on this trip. The other pools are your standard rectangular pool with plenty of lounge chairs circling the pool. The pool we visited had an area for an outdoors bar which looked like it had not been used since the Village People scored their last #1 hit back in the 1970’s which was a shame. My fiancé made a note of how even more awesome the resort would be if they had the pool bad open and served drinks for the guests. Perhaps in the future they will because it was very apparent there were lots of renovations taking place all over the property.

Speaking of the property, the over grounds looked somewhat dilapidated but as we mentioned, it was obvious they were in the midst of improving the over look of the hotel with new landscaping, renovations taking place in several of the building. Give this resort some time and the end result could make for a nice, rather affordable place to stay.
While Champion’s World Resort calls itself a resort, it lacked many of the amenities one would find in a Central Florida resort including a gym, tennis courts, scheduled activities, children’s areas, and an arcade. Maybe over time these resort amenities will be added but for now, Champions World Resorts lacks the above listed items to truly call itself a resort. The $3 Resort fee guest pay seems to only include use of the pool and free internet while visiting the property, which is a bargain since many other resorts in the Central Florida area charge sometimes over $20 a night for Internet and do not have that many options for their pools in the event they become over crowded at one.

The Restaurant/bar area was above average compared to some mid-ranged hotel in the area. They seemed to always have drink specials and the restaurant looked somewhat like a Denny’s overlooking their covered pool area.

The Lobby area was extremely nice and it was apparent that this was one of the first areas that was remodeled when it was reopened as Champions World Resort. Beware of the people in the area trying to pressure you into seeing time shares though. While they are aggressive, one no is all it took for them to leave us alone.

Perhaps the biggest draw back of Champions World Resort is their location. It is approximately 7 miles from the back entrance to Disney World and close to 10 miles from I-4. The drive to and from the hotel could get old very quickly for the vacationer staying for more than one night at Champions World Resort even though it is a comfortable and affordable place to stay. If you are on a strict budget and do have a car accessible to you or do not mind traveling to the theme parks based on the bus times they provide for you (yes, they do offer complementary bus service to all the theme parks) then the distance can be overlooked seeing how there are several places to eat in the mornings and evenings within walking distance of the hotel.

In conclusion, Champions World Resort is definitely a work in progress. While other out-dated Orlando area hotels charge a relatively small fee for their rooms, you usually get what you paid for (dirty rooms, noisy neighbors, rude staff) but not at Champions World Resort. If you can overlook the distance from the attractions, you will easily find one of the most affordable and comfortable thrifty hotels in the Central Florida area, just do not expect a Disney style resort when you stay at Champions World Resort.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FAV2

Reviewed September 5, 2009

This hotel has to be one of the worst places I have ever seen. Within five minutes of opening the door to the room I knew my family and I would not be staying. The two rooms my family and I were allocated were very damp and dirty. The problem with the damp was reported to reception immediately and we were told the rooms could be sparayed with a chemical to eradicate the smell of damp and the maintenance man would be with us within a few minutes! We never did see the maintenance man or the chemical. Everything within the rooms and outside of the reception area was dirty, grubby and dingy, personally I felt quite unsafe being there after encountering a few undesirable people within the hotel grounds! The swimming pool was also absolutely filthy. How this hotel managed to achieve a 3* rating is beyond me. Fortunately, I was able to move my family out of this place within 24 hours to a fabulous hotel on International Drive. I would strongly urge you to stay as far away from this hotel as possible, pay that little bit extra and go somewhere else.

Reviewed September 2, 2009

A well spent 10 days at Champions Resort. All Staff were excellent especially front desk and maintenance. Rodrigo you're the man! We have a young child so thingsas you would expect were quite tricky but upon request, help for whatever we needed was provided.
Rooms were cleaned to a suitable standard. On return from breakfast we always found our room tidied and beds already made.
Karaoke nights were a BLAST!!. Swimming pool excellent form of relaxation especially after a hard days play at Disney.
The hotel is geared towards visiting the Disney resorts. The location is ideal. The Shuttle Service is excellent and breakfast does the job. You get what you pay for! The money you save on hotel accommodation can be put to good use at the numerous theme parks. Only grumbles are Tennis courts in need of repair and choice of more t.v channels and perhaps a kettle.
Really enjoyed our stay and would definately come back again.

Reviewed September 1, 2009

This hotel/motel was supposedly rennovated as under new management. Our room was dirty with mould in the bathroom. The air con sounded like to plane taking off so we couldn't use it. We asked for a kettle on the day we arrived (14 night stay) and there were none, and was told to come back next day. We did this every day for the 14 days - became of running joke in the end. Room was also very basic. The pools looked OK but didn't venture in them. The first night we also ate in the bar and the food was revolting and well over priced. The next morning went down early to breakfast and half the containers were empty so for what we had that ended up being very expensive too. We've been to Florida with Virgin Holidays several times and always been pleased so can't see why they have this calibre of hotel/motel in their books. Maybe Virgin should check it out for themselves.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I booked the room from cheapostay.com. The room online looks gorgeous however, we got a run down room with mold in the shower, the top of the toilet did not fit, and the beds where as hard as the floor. In fact, if the floor was clean we would of slept on the floor. There was no hot water only warm, and when we got there there was a note on the bed that said they only wash their sheets 3 times a week!!!!!!!! Horriable. The pictures that you see of the outside of the place a gorgeous and look just like it; in the main area. Maybe if you pay for the room in cash other than discounted online the room maybe better; but I would not take the chance.

1  Thank Gotay28
ChampionsWorldResort, Management at Champions World Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2009

We apologize for the issues that came up during your stay and we thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. There are a few things we would like to clear up for you. The note in our rooms stating that we clean the sheets every three days was misunderstood. We clean our sheets before and after each guest’s arrival to our hotel. However during your stay at our hotel to conserve Water resources to protect the environment we do follow a schedule. We clean the sheets Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday while a guest is in house. Should the guest desire their sheets cleaned everyday all they need to do is place the green card on top of their pillow upon leaving for the day and we will accommodate your request. We always have managers on duty to listen and correct any concerns you may have at our hotel. We thank you for staying with us and we again apologize for any inconvenience you encountered while staying with us.

Management

Reviewed August 13, 2009

I recently stayed at Champions World Resort from Aug. 9-13, 2009 and honestly I was impressed for the price we paid. While there were a few things that irritated me they were minor, but the overall stay was nice and the kids truly enjoyed the 3 pools onsite.

The check in process was smooth as we arrived early and was able to check in at noon versus 3pm which was a definite plus for us...so we truly thank Champions for that convenience.

The few things I didn't like was the fact that you basically get harassed by folks trying to sell you timeshares in exchange for $75-$100 if you sit through a 90 minute presentation. Now in my opinion...if that was something I was in too fine, but most folks on vacation don't want people HARASSING them to sit for 90 minutes for $75-$100...we're on vacation and would like to enjoy it, so this little service they can do away with. Another thing that I didn't like was having to pay for internet $3.00/3 minutes and $0.39/cent each additional minute and if you want to print anything its $1.00/page, so using the internet for 3 minutes to print boarding passes cost me $5.02...again...something minor but something I didn't like and think they need to upgrade immediately.

The staff was courteous and helpful which was a plus and really went out of their way to help make your stay enjoyable. Checkout was a breeze which was even better as we got a late start for an early flight.

I would stay here again if I wanted to be budget conscious and its close to a variety of stores...everything you think you want is near or close to it.

1  Thank MsPraise
Reviewed August 9, 2009

We paid only $45 per night, so I didn't expect much. The property is very old and it appeared that little, if anything, had been done in the way of updating. Carpet needed replacing, nicks in walls, etc. The bathroom door wouldn't close completely, the fan in the bathroom didn't work and the tub drain was very slow. That is pretty gross when you are taking a shower. Although it was a non-smoking room, there was a lingering hint of smoke in the draperies and air ducts, I suppose from days gone by. The Lysol I brought with me took care of most of that, if I sprayed it daily. The housekeeping staff did a good job of cleaning the room daily and the front desk staff was pleasant. The advertised WiFi didn't work in the room and there was a charge for the computers in the lobby area. Based on the price we paid, we pretty much got what we paid for.