“A very pleasant stay”

Ranked #34 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
Illinois
“A very pleasant stay”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have so many reviews that I am behind on, but I feel this one deserves my attention the most. My husband and I stayed at Champions this past week as a result of an incentive week (from a vacation club presentation), so we weren't sure what to expect. We'll, let me just say up front that our stay was wonderful! We had a long day of connecting flights and finally arrived well after 9pm, but Tamara was friendly, quick, and informative. She notified us that due to our company booking, we would not owe the resort daily fee (I think it was $7, just so you all know what to expect if you are not exempt from that. However, I think the rates are pretty low, so if you add that on to your daily rate, you are still getting a value IMO). She gave us a coupon booklet that was good at the bar/restaurant, so we went straight to the bar after we brought our bags to our room.

Chris was the bartender that night (we had read reviews of him, so I already knew to expect great service). He treated us very well! It was Friday, which was a buy one get one free night for wine. He included champagne in the deal, so we toasted the night away. Even without the deals, drinks at that bar were the most reasonable of our entire trip (we drank at Disney, Universal, and downtown Disney bars). I think $4 for most wines and maybe $6 for tinis (don't quote me on those). We met some locals (Phil and Barb from England who stay for the winter) and had great conversation with Chris and them. Saturday was spent lounging around the hotel, taking the bus to Target ($2 fare each way, or $4.50 for a whole day pass... well worth it if you decide to stock on groceries one trip, and go have dinner at one of the local restaurants or visit downtown Kissimee on another trip in the same day. We wish we did that, but there's so much to do in a week)! Careful, the Lynx buses do not give change. We actually walked back from Target because we like walking.. took us 20 mins. Spent the night chilling at the bar again. They had a Halloween party that day, Saturday (Oct 27th), and three costumes won a $20 tab. We were one of them!! We didn't even have a costume, but there was a thrift store across the street and we improvised! The $20 tab along with a buy one get one coupon (we used for festive halloween drinks) allowed us another great night for a good value. We had another awesome night conversing with Chris and another couple from England (honeymooners that had a fun a card game that we all played together). FYI, Chris puts a lot into this bar, and even bought martini glasses on his own to help stock it. Sunday we went to Universal Studios! A great surprise came when the Bus Driver (I think his name was Moreno) told us there was no fee for Universal/Sea World (supposed to be $15). Yay! He was a very fun bus driver and always tried hard to entertain his passengers, especially the kids! Tips are very appreciated and I think well deserved (a $1.00 or two each way per person is what we gave). Another night in the jacuzzi followed (it was cold, so the hot water was welcome!). All the pools seemed very clean (there were leaves in the pool by the jacuzzi, but no one was swimming anyway, and the other two pools looked fine). We also had a friend visit who lives in the area. We ordered pizza from the bar with one of the coupons (two pizza for $15, and they didn't charge our friend parking as long as it wasn't overnight. And the pizza fed us three plus two days of leftovers for our friend. They also have a bucket of wings and pitcher of beer coupon we never got to take advantage of). Monday, we took advantage of the Disney transfers (also free) and visited downtown Disney (take the shuttle to Epcot or Magic Kingdom and then use the Disney buses/monorail for free). I think Jackie and Erika at the front desk were who helped us with information regarding the shuttles. Very friendly staff! I think we also met with some of the managers that day. Dalton and Mildred were their names. Let me tell you, they were so warm and welcoming! They are really trying to make this resort into the great place it has the potential to be and even took our suggestions as to how to improve it. They have a nature center we never got to see that they will also be upgrading and are looking into permanently making the Universal/Sea World shuttles complimentary (remember I said they are usually $15 pp rountrip, but free for our stay) Tuesday we went to Epcot (shuttles are great for this because they have several times at Magic Kingdom and Epcot right around park opening and closing and one midday, and you can use Disney's free monorail and buses to get to either if you want to take advantage of the different pick up times to the hotel.. Ex: If you sleep in for Magic Kingdoms 10ish shuttle you can take Epcot's noon shuttle and take the Disney bus/monorail over to Magic Kingdom). My husband had the breakfast buffet that day and loved it!!! (biscuits and gravy, bacon, sausage, omelets, fruit, bread, cereal, juice, etc). Wednesday (Halloween) we went back to Universal and stayed for the Halloween Horror Nights (Note: the shuttle does not bring you back to the hotel that late and you will need another form of transport.. I think it brings you back around 6pm and brings you there around 7am, just in time to get to the front of the line before park opening). Thursday, we both did breakfast (they accommodated my dietary restrictions and made me egg whites with no butter/oil and lots of veggies and even let me take it to go when our shuttle came.. my fault for not leaving enough time to order it, so I'm not sure if they normally let you leave with breakfast). We took advantage of the shuttles to Disney and them used the Disney buses to get to Downtown Disney again and then to Fort Wilderness for the Hoop-Dee-Doo dinner and were able to make it back in time to the 8pm shuttle from Magic Kingdom back to Champions (we had the 4pm dinner, so the 6:15 dinner would probably get you back to the 10 pm Epcot shuttle in time, but I wouldn't recommend the later dinner shows if you want to get back to the shuttles in time, because you have to take a couple Disney buses to get back to the parking lot where the Champions shuttle picks you up). Thursday night we went back to the Champions bar to have another toast of champagne to celebrate the closing of our vacation. Then another night at the Jacuzzi (doesn't close until 11pm). It was also this night that Leticia and Jackie helped me check in and print our boarding passes for the next day's flight home. Friday we woke up and checked out with ease and our shuttle guys came right on time to take us to the airport (I recommend Mears, great value if you book ahead on line for a rountrip. Very efficient, prompt and friendly. We paid $68 for the both of us for roundtrip transfers to the airport).

The reason I'm so descriptive is to let everyone know our whole experience and ease of our trip based on what we wanted to do. So, I hope I didn't bore anyone. Basically, the stay was wonderful and we would stay there again in a heartbeat! We may try a Disney resort next time just to try the experience, but being as this was a last minute trip, this resort fulfilled our needs beyond our expectations! And there were lots of families staying here for 2-3 week stints as well who planned way ahead of time (so it's not just great for last minute stays!)

As I am realistic, I also want to mention the downsides. Don't worry, there's only two. We do not like people entering our room while we are gone, so we always kept the "Do Not Disturb" sign up. One night in the middle of the week, we found our sign removed and our room cleaned. I don't know if the sign blew away or someone just thought to take the liberty of cleaning our room, but we were a little unhappy about it. Nothing was missing from our room however, and it was windy, so it could have been an honest mistake if the wind blew the sign away. So if you are like us, I would recommend letting the front desk know to have no one enter your room under any circumstances other than your request. The other con was that our hair dryer was quite dirty. It looked like it just needed a good wiping off, but then again, we didn't touch it, so I could have just been a stain. No real big deal, as the rest of the room was very clean. :-) Just something to note if you plan on using their dryer (I brought my own) Another positive note, we had a microwave and a fridge/freeze at no extra charge and they have working ice machines! The front desk also corked a bottle of wine for us and let us use their scissors because we forgot to bring those tools!

Overall, our stay was great and well exceeded our expectations, and not just for the value (even if we didn't get the trip as an incentive we would have been very happy). We will probably come back to this hotel again! Side note: Spirit incentives booked our trip! We also used that company for our airfare. The vacation club people that offered the incentive trip used them and ironically my credit card company also used their services for a free companion domestic round trip ticket that we get annually. Just mentioning in case someone else finds themselves in the same situation of getting an incentive trip and not sure what to expect!

Thank you so much Champions! Please feel free to add if we left anything out!
~Chris and Chris~ (same as the bartender... lol)

Room Tip: Take advantage of the restaurant/bar on site!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank chrisnamo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Havant, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

just arrived back was well surprised how clean and comfortable the resort was
had no problems with the reception or with cleaning personell,would have no worries going back,pools were very welcoming after hot days at park

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sally W
Dothan, Alabama
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Loved the heated ,covered pool,rooms have been redone.
new heater/air conditioners unit in my room with remote control.
called day before to request a 1st floor room they were cheerful and helpful
and I got a 1st floor room microwave and small fridge in room

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lindenhurst, New York
Reviewed October 6, 2012

After reading some of the past reviews I was a little sceptical of staying at this resort. To my surprised when my group arrived the front desk was very helpful. The rooms were clean, breakfast buffet got boring after a couple of days, the food in the lounge was very good and the gardens were beautiful. Management made it a point to converse with my group every day and listen to our comments. Overall it was a great experience. Would I stay here again? yes , you can't beat the price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank peace994
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2012

we stayed in this hotel 6 years ago.didnt know till we got there this time that it was same hotel...it has changed its name from howard johnson to champions world.
the location is a bit far out of the hustle and bustle but with a car its fine.great if you jst want to stay somewhere quiet.there are places local for eating and general shopping so i think its ok for a quiet break away.
The hotel itself is in need of updating/decorating.although from what i see this is already underway.there is a lot of work ongoing.
the room we stayed in was great for what we needed it for.room service was excellent,if we were there they would come back when ever we asked.
room was clean and compact with new clean fridge and microwave.tv was ok. bathroom was adequate and towelling always fresh.only fault i had was a kettle and toaster would have been great.
there are 2 large clean pools and a seperate 1 for babys.the covered 1 was still nicely heated at 11pm.
previous reviews began to worry me but i was pleasantly surprised.
reception was nice and clean and when we approached them about low watwe pressure and faulty battery in safe these were rectified within only 2 hours..
the air conditioning worked well.
WE WOULD RECOMMEND HIS HOTEL.

Room Tip: we had room 146 which was 20mts from pool and parking.nicely positioned room but all rooms were nice...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank colacko
Bishop Auckland, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2012

ive been to this hotel five times and always found it was cheap and cheerfull as i suppose florida is for parks and shopping not really hotel based however after this visit i felt that the hotel is starting to look and feel tired the rooms are comfy but worn cleaned daily which is good the main thing is the bar depending who is behind the bar is when the bar shuts if its chris you are fine he goes that extra sunny smile for everyone however if its mark or a girl i cant remember her name you will be all tucked up in bed for 9.30 the covered pool was closed due to repairs on the roof but there was a lot of bats flying around that area on a night id still return but to be honest its only because its cheap apart from that it has nothing else to offer now and its a bit out the way so id advise getting a car as taxis are expensive and the food out the hotel poor to standards that you can get five minutes down the road shame really a good hotel going to waste

Room Tip: go for room 152 as it just off the pool and next to reception
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank curlykaz43
Tampa
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Room was clean, a/c worked well and rate was very good. Hotel is not much of a resort but for what a room cost you can call it what you want. Location is near Disney and lots of restaurants are within a mile or two. This is the third time I've stayed here and I'll probably return again when in the Disney area.

Room Tip: If you book on line a lot of sites will not tell you about the additional $7 a night resort charge a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple