“booked on bookings.com, confirmed room not available”

Sombrero Resort & Marina
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Estero, Florida
“booked on bookings.com, confirmed room not available”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I paid and booked on bookings.com, after a full day on the water I arrived with my 2 adult sons and future daughter in law----looked great, cabana bar, band playing, pool in view----- they didn't have my room. Found my reservation but had no room. Finally found me a room after freezing in the lobby for more than an hour, and we moved into Bananna Bay for only 1 night.
Next day, we were promised our room, had to wait outside at 7pm on Sunday night for staff to arrive and give us our keys--- we got keys for my room, and the people next doors room. The cooking pots had been "stolen" they said, so cooking our lobster and fish was a challenge. On checking out, asked for refund for night not available, and discount on our room- we were assured we'd only pay $99 for the night we stayed---- Today, my credit card shows $169 for the night, and I used $75 of my credits on my employee bonus points! Terrible management!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeanette T
Merri C, Manager at Sombrero Resort & Marina, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies for the mistake made with your reservation. This was an extremely unusual occurrence, however, there is no excuse.

We do our best to provide each room with a complement of kitchen supplies. There are times when items seem to be missing and we do not have the opportunity to replace them as quickly as we would like.

Please accept my sincere apology.

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Hungarian first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed February 5, 2014

The room we stayed in was very clean, which was great. It was also very spacious and included a kitchen. In general, it was a bit outdated and they should consider doing some renovations to make it a little more comfortable for guests. For example, there were stains on the carpet, the beds were very uncomfortable with cheap blankets, and the televisions were old and slightly discolored. With some renovations and some additional attention to details, this place could be amazing.

The biggest issue we had was we could not get the shower to turn on. When we mentioned this at check out, they sent someone to check it and it worked. Apparently, we had to pull it with force to turn the water on and turn it for hot and cold. There was never a mentioned of how to do this and nothing in the bathroom (Maybe a sign of some sort would be helpful) to indicate how to work it. Needless to say, we had 3 people trying to turn the thing on and ended up not taking showers. At the check out, the guy who checked to ensure (Presumably the maintenance guy) it was working got an attitude with me and I heard him telling someone in the office (Probably the general manager) that I was arguing with him about it working or not. In reality, I was just trying to let them know that three people tried it and wasn't able to figure it out and therefore, did not shower. I was not impressed with the response to our issue and my suggestions.

To end on a positive note, the front desk agent was very friendly and even spoke spanish, which was great for my mother-in-law who is Spanish. The hotel is also located in a great location for a reasonable price.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for seeing the diamond in the rough. We are excited about the impending renovation. We expect to meet and exceed our guest's expectations. We are going to remove the carpets, renovate the units and replace furniture and appliances. I agree with you and believe the Sombrero Resort will be amazing when the renovations are complete.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any lack of insensitivity. I am researching plastic signs that will be permanently installed to clarify the pull out, move left for hot water and right for cold water options.

Thank you for taking time to help us with your feedback. All feedback is taken seriously and we use this information to improve our offering.

Resort Manager

Travelers are raving about these Marathon hotels

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

The room was big and even a kitchen was included. However, there were fleas in the room. Mattrasses were old and worn out. The worst was that they tried to let us pay more than the price we booked the hotel for. And we booked the hotel directly at their own website.

Stayed December 2013
5 Thank Leonie V
Merri C, Manager at Sombrero Resort & Marina, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am pleased you enjoyed the large and spacious condominium with the full kitchen.

I must apologize for your experience due to the condition of the mattresses. We do our best to exceed our guest's expectations. We have a large number of guests who just arrived for their 13th year visit.

We will be renovating the rooms and replacing the mattresses. I hope that after our renovation you will give us another opportunity to offer you our hospitality.

I would be grateful if you would call me directly at 305-289-7662 ext 506 so I can be clear about the extra charge issue. Our staff always honors quotes and explains the resort fees and taxes to the caller. All our fees and taxes are explained clearly on all our OTA's or On-line Travel Agents such as Booking.com, Expedia.com, Travelocity.com and our Sombrero Resort & Marina website which is connected by Vizergy. If a mistake is made, our Front Desk Agents do their best to remedy the issue immediately.

Thank you for offering your feedback. All reviews are taken seriously and we do our best to correct any and all issues brought to our attention.

Marathon, Florida
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

New owners recently purchased this property. The swimming pool heater has been "broken" for a week or so. They say it will be fixed "later". If the pool is important to you, be sure to check its status before booking to avoid disappointment.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank teddy33050
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to report the pool heater has been replaced. Initial attempts to repair the pool heat pumps were unsuccessful as parts were no longer available. With a large purchase, it was necessary to get bids which we did. The pool is now a comfortable 80 degrees.

Thank you again for taking the time to offer a review.

Libertyville, Illinois
Reviewed December 30, 2013

The condo I stayed in was in horrendous shape the cabinets in the "kitchen" were falling apart there was dirty crusty food caked on the outside of the fridge. There wasn't any blankets or pillows for the pull out bed. It doesn't look like anything in the condo has been updated since the 60's. There was a hole in the wall the size of a baseball next to where the ac unit was Jerry ridged into the wall. None of the elevators were working. We booked a room here based on some of the other reviews and the pictures we saw both of which are extremely deceiving. This place was rated a 3.5 star.... I wouldn't give it a half star. Very disappointed with everything having to do with this "resort". Stay away!!

• Stayed December 2013
5 Thank Jwojo2002
Merri C, Manager at Sombrero Resort & Marina, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

I do apologize for the unsatisfactory conditions you found in the room. Please call me at the office 305-289-7662, at your convenience, and let us know what room you stayed in. I want to inspect the condo unit and remedy this condition of this unit immediately.

We have three elevators on the property. Two of the elevators are completely operational. We are waiting for a county inspection and as soon as it is completed, all three elevators shall be fully operational.

The fresh sheets, pillows and blankets for the pull out bed are always kept in the living room closet, top shelf.

Our staff members are always willing to address any issues once the cause of concerns are brought to the attention of the Front Desk Agents. Our housekeepers and maintenance staff go out of their way to provide clean and comfortable rooms to our guests. We all strive to make our guests comfortable and remedy any issues as quickly as possible.

I am sorry we fell short in your case.

Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed December 23, 2013

This is not a resort. It is old, dirty motel with rude staff. Rooms are in terrible shape. Everything falls apart. Elevators don't work. They don't give even enough towels. But charge you $14 resort fee on top of everything.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Vasia652
Dear Guest,

I offer my sincere apology for not meeting and exceeding your expectations. We do our best to present a clean condo room with a full kitchen, living room, private bathroom and a private bedroom.

Our maintenance men do their best to respond to work orders immediately and take the necessary steps to remedy the situation. Our housekeepers are authorized to provide our guests with extra towels and we always have a complete supply available through the front desk in the event the housekeepers have completed their work and left for the day.

Again, please accept my apology.

Upper Sandusky, Ohio
Reviewed December 14, 2013

The Sombrero is a great place to stay. Very nice and clean rooms. Big pool with Tiki Bar. Very friendly staff. Great location. Very close to many restaurants and stores. And the price is very reasonable. We have stayed several times and will go back again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jodi,

Thank you for your kind review. We strive to offer our guests a nice and clean condo rooms for their getaway. Our amenities, the large sparkling pool, lighted tennis courts and the Tiki Bar are all hits with our guests.

I am pleased you enjoyed our very reasonable prices, we do aim to please. I shall pass the compliment regarding our friendly staff along to our team members. A job well done goes a long way.

We all want each guest to enjoy their stay and want to return. I am happy we succeeded.

Thank you.

Resort Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Seashell Beach Resort
Seashell Beach Resort
#10 of 17 in Marathon

Been to Sombrero Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!