“Avoid this place”

Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Toronto, Canada
“Avoid this place”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Booked thru Hotwire for 2 nights. Looks ok when you arrive, but based on the reviews it seems to depend what room you get whether you like this place or not. We did not get a good room. Could have been nice as we got a second floor unit overlooking the marina. But the unit was in a total state of disrepair. Where do I start? Doors did not close properly; blinds did not cover the windows; kitchen area was crawling with bugs; bathrooms had mystery grime everywhere; bugs bugs bugs. We had arrived late so we stayed the night but slept with the lights on to try and keep the bugs at bay. We also had to take the sheet off the bed to cover the patio door so people could not see in. I will say the manager was good (or just used to complaints) as first thing in the morning we checked out and she was fine refunding us for the second night.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before you hand them any money!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Merri C, Manager at Sombrero Resort & Marina, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. We are not taking your dissatisfaction lightly and will be reviewing your concerns with our team. We will use your feedback to implement improvements to ensure we provide a better experience. Thank you for helping us improve to provide a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will visit us again in the near future.

Thank you for your review. I apologize for the experience that you had. This certainly does not sound like the level of excellent service that we are used to providing. We are constantly making improvements on guest services as well as the rooms. Please allow us one more opportunity to show you our great rooms and service, I assure your experience will be impressive!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Hungarian first
Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Actually I really like Sombrero Resort. It is the "go to" place for my buddies and I when we visit Marathon. Full kitchen, plenty of space, a place to dock the boat, a pool, walking distance to several bars and the staff pretty much leave you alone. However, the one time I took my girlfriend (now wife) she was pretty horrified by the cleanliness of the room and couldn't get past the lingering unusual "smell" of the room. Even though I had paid in advance we checked out and went up to South Beach. Long story short: great for a guys fishing trip. Bad for a romantic weekend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Surfowl
Beecher, Illinois
Reviewed January 24, 2013

i tried numerous times to talk to shirley (front desk mgr.) and mary hotel mgr.
i e-mailed shirley no response, i called her numerous times talked to her ,she said she was busy and would call me back- never happened. mary called me back after 3 or 4 days which by this time i booked somewhere else. if this is the service you receive from management can you only imagine the rest of the operation. very disappointed with their professionalism

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for identifying your experience so that we can bring our service up to the level you deserve. I apologize for not responding in a timely fashion. We strive to do our best and there are times we miss the mark.

I hope you give us an opportunity to correct this error next time you plan to visit Marathon, Fl.

Travelers are raving about these Marathon hotels

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I recently stood at this location and it was very relaxing and safe. There is a pool and bar with cheap drinks. Staff was helpful. Make sure to check out unit 431. It was nicely furnished and very clean.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Joanrz4
Thank you so very much for the thumbs up. We appreciate hearing from all of our guests and are contantly working towards improving our guest's experience.
Wamego, Kansas
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I recently booked a stay at this hotel through an internet site and thought that I was getting a great deal. Instead, I got a huge disappointment. When I arrived & was checking in, the desk clerk was extremely rude and had a poor attitude. She never smiled even though I was smiling at her. She even treated me like an imbecile by informing me that I was on an island (really, why did she think that I came to the Keys) and not to call the desk when the internet didn't work. That wasn't a problem because I found out that the room didn't have a phone. I had turned on the air-conditioner in the bedroom and was moving between modes to get the fan on low when I heard it make a noise, smelled burning electrict wires at the same time the smoke alarm started going off. I was freaking out and searched the room for a phone to call the desk and realized there was no phone. As I was in my p.j.'s, I didn't go to the front desk because I figured someone would come to my room to see why the alarm was going off. I opened the door and after about five minutes the alarms shut off (Thank God!) but no one ever came to the room. Didn't try using that air-conditioner again, was afraid to set off the alarms again. Plus, the other unit was so rusted out, I was surprised that it worked. It also sounded like it was going to quit working but thankfully it didn't. You expect things to have corrosion (on an island, after all) but the air-conditioners were obviously very old and needed replaced.
Plus, everything else was bad about this room. The oven didn't have any knobs, so I couldn't use the oven. The knob for the large burner was not the right knob & it was confusing what temperature the burner was on and there was only one large burner to use. The carpet was EXTREMELY dirty. Visible stains through out the whole place but what was really gross was when I took my shoes off, walked around the room for a while, and getting ready for bed noticed that the bottom of my feet were black from the carpet. Very Gross!!! Even the switch plate covers were covered with filthy, greasy black dirt (Couldn't help myself, I had to clean them myself).
The beds were as hard as a rock and so was the furniture in the living room. Very dissapointing to expect to be staying at a nice place and have a hard bed. And I happened to be in the room when housekeeping tried getting in the room without knocking and announcing themselves first. I called out "Hello" not knowing who was trying to get in and they never said a word, just left, which creeped me out. The next day, I knew someone was in my room when I came back and found the lights on. I then noticed that someone had helped themselves to some of my snacks that I had sitting out on the counter. Thankfully it was just food and not something valuable that was taken. (I had a feeling not to leave my computer or other valuables.) I traveled extensively around Florida and this is the only place that I didn't feel that my possessions where safe.
The only thing good I can say about this place is that it did have good water pressure and the desk clerks working in the morning when I checked out were friendly. If this resort would clean their carpets (or put down tile, easier to clean), get new mattresses and air-conditioners, and a new stove, this could be a great place to stay. The resort did have covered parking which was really nice and like I said, the people working in the morning were really friendly. Still, I won't go back.

Room Tip: I would ask to see the room first before staying. Maybe the other rooms wouldn't be so dirty an...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. We appreciate hearing from all of our guests about their vacations. We are disappointed to hear that you felt your stay with us did not live up to your expectations.

We will use the valuable information you provided to review our procedures and more closely evaluate all of our rooms.

We will continue to be proactive to ensure our guests have a satisfying experience. We hope you will visit us again in the near future.
Storrs
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here two years in a row. We were pleased both times. The place is clean and safe. The room has a kitchen,living area and a separate bedroom.The price was very reasonable for all that is offered. We would certainly return again. The only complaint is the tiki bar was not open much. The restaurant on the premises was also closed. Unfortunately, our mattress wasn't very comfortable on the second visit. We would certainly come back again!

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We rent 3 different hotels for our trip in keys. This one was the less expensive and really a good surprise big apartment (2 rooms), kitchen, laundry, hot swimming pool, good service, clean room !
In the middle of the keys with a really nice beach in Marathon ! We recommand this hotel for family ;-)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Seashell Beach Resort
Seashell Beach Resort
#10 of 17 in Marathon

Been to Sombrero Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!