Since this review will be long, here's the bottom line. While not inexpensive, this is the only chain hotel in Marathon and one of very few between Key Largo and Key West. It's new, clean, well-maintained and comfortable and probably the only well-reviewed property in Marathon with a good cancellation policy and which accepts reservations for as little as one night. We plan to stay there the next time we want to stay in the Marathon area.
The details are: We'd stopped staying in Marathon after our last, poor experience at the Holiday Inn that previously occupied this location, and were happy to see it being razed the last time we drove through Marathon. We were happy to try the entirely new facility on the same site, and it worked out very well for us.
The facility: A newly built three story Holiday Inn Express, complete with elevator, business center, fitness room and outdoor pool. Breakfast included, which is a typical Holiday Inn Express self-serve breakfast including cereals, hot dishes (an egg dish and a breakfast meat), breads, fruit, juices, and hot beverages, including very good coffee, served in a pleasant breakfast room which can, at peak times become somewhat crowded. (This is ameliorated by being able to take one's breakfast to one's room or to the nearby pool area.) Note: The new Marina Store (on the property) has installed a full-service "Seattle's Best" Coffee Bar with espresso and iced drinks; it should begin operating in a few days, according to the manager on March 27th, 2011.
Service: I can only rate this excellent. All staff , including housekeepers, smile and greet guests they encounter. Front desk staff are efficient and eager to help guests. After checking in we discovered our room did not include a refrigerator and microwave we asked if there were any rooms that had these, but told they were all taken; the desk clerk then offered to check if spares were available, and, if so, she would have them moved into our room. When we returned to our room the units had been moved in and set up, and they worked well.
Rooms: The rooms are attractive and housekeeping excellent. Beds and linens very comfortable; we slept very well. Plumbing excellent, towels very good and supplied in good number. The windows open; not appropriate in the warm weather while we were there, this would be an amenity in cooler weather. Wired broadband worked very well and consistently.
Price: At almost $200/night, even at discounted rates, this property might seem over-priced by mid-range hotel standards. The other side of this is to note that real estate, energy and utility, and labor costs are high in the Middle Keys. Perhaps the issue should be viewed from the angle of "What will the traffic bear?" Apparently guests must find it acceptable value for money since, according to a desk clerk with whom I spoke, the hotel fills up most nights.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We invite you for a fun-loving tropical vacation at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in the fabulous Florida Keys. Stay with us for fun in the sun and the convenience of local businesses, the Florida Keys Marathon Airport (MTH), and local island attractions. Our hotel is pet-friendly and 100% smoke free.The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon is located in the heart of the Florida Keys; a short drive from Key West. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, IHG, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon Hotel Marathon
- The Holiday Inn Express And Suites Marathon
- Holiday Inn Marathon
- Marathon Holiday Inn