“Surprisingly enjoyable”

Full-Day Tour to Florida Keys Aquarium Encounters from Key West
Ranked #5 of 50 things to do in Marathon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: At Florida Keys Aquarium Encounters it is easier than ever to interact with marine species of all shapes in sizes in environments that closely mimic those found naturally in the Florida Keys. Our primary attractions revolve around our unique Aquarium Encounters. Our hands-on encounters immerse our visitors in the heart of the action and allow them to get up close and personal with 50+ species of tropical fish, rays, and sharks! If you're not looking to get in the water, our facility still boasts many activities sure to thrill and excite guests of all ages! Stop by Florida Keys Aquarium Encounters today and immerse yourself in the Magic of the Ocean and the native marine environment of the Florida Keys.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed August 30, 2014

We visited when they had been open for less than 2 months and were pleasantly surprised. The staff was extremely enthusiastic and helpful and the exhibits were fantastic. The stingray encounter was fun for all ages and the 2 large aquariums were fantastic. We ended up staying until they were closing up.

3  Thank wwbdTampa

Reviewed August 28, 2014

We (A 6yr old, 10yr old and 2 tag along parents) arrived at opening in late August (mid week). They were still setting up, but were still very helpfully. The site might be smaller than u expect, but the access to the tanks is unbelievable! We watched and fed the rays for several hours. My son and I decided to try the snorkeling in the aquarium. Following clear instructions on showering we were helped into our wetsuits and showed how to enter the aquarium(I must add the video and discussion prior to showering, was clear concise and not at all a lecture). Feeding the fish in the tank is an unbelievable experience. The feeding of the sharks, m-eel and other fish w teeth was the highlight of our vacation. The instructor, didn't rush us, but kept us updated on time remaining in the tank (in just the right way). Brian was patient and willing to repeat instructions. The photos and video are obviously the most difficult part to get right, as they are position, light and luck dependent!. We got a couple of photo's.
This is a new facility and they want to know how to improve, let them know! Our experience was perfect!

Reviewed August 26, 2014

Great lay out and exhibits. But need more stuff to see for the price. It is new so we expect growth in the exhibits over time.

2  Thank MrPeabody1
Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

Aquarium Encounters is appropriately named: it is less of an aquarium and more of a place to interact with creatures in an aquarium. This is a very well thought out place, from the ray feeding tank (such soft, beautiful, animals) to the kid's sandpit (dig for sharks teeth). I did the reef scuba option, although snorkeling seemed almost as much fun. It was magical how the fish cluster around me and the sharks and eels ate from my hand. Afterward, my knowledgeable guide taught me a lot about the marvelous creatures I touched and fed. It was an afternoon I will never forget. The staff was very motivated and enthusiastic and they made our day. Aquarium Encounters is full of curious and intelligent people who care a whole lot about marine life.

2  Thank Dlscrs
Reviewed August 23, 2014

Awesome, Amazing, Fantastic, Wonderful, Perfect, is how my 2 girls described the Aquarium Encounters. We were there for over 4 hours! We started out at the Coral Reef Encounter, it was incredible. There are so many varieties of fish and the spotted eagle ray, Spotty, was so gentle, we fell in love with her.
We then went over to check out the sting ray area, they too are fun to feed and pet, we spent a lot of time there. There is food you can purchase to feed the rays close by, the cost is very inexpensive and it's so much fun to feed them!
We headed over to the touch tank, which again held my girls interest for a log time. There are so many different sea animals to touch, conch, starfish, horseshoe crabs, slipper lobster, there are too many to name!
A staff member came out to feed Big George, a HUGE Goliath Grouper, he was amazing! We then headed over to see Rex the tortoise and we were able to feed him, he was awesome!
The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, from when we checked in at the front counter, to our dive instructor during our encounter, to the staff on property and at the concession stand, I can go on and on.
We truly had a awesome, amazing, fantastic, wonderful, perfect day! Thank you to everyone at the Florida Keys Aquarium Encounters!