“Probably my best meal on a vacation”
Review of Butterfly Cafe

Butterfly Cafe
Ranked #1 of 91 Restaurants in Marathon
Cuisines: American, Caribbean
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Description: Savor Florida Keys dining with award-winning tropical cuisine indoor or outdoor at Tranquility Bay Resort's own Butterfly Café. Butterfly Café captures the essence of island cuisine with an emphasis on quality, local ingredients and, of course, ocean fresh seafood in a beautiful airy Marathon restaurant setting. Open daily for dinner, the menu and wine list at Butterfly Café change seasonally. Children will delight in a special menu designed just for them. Dinner is served nightly from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM at our restaurant in Marathon and reservations are encouraged. Dine outdoors on Butterfly Café's covered patio, or enjoy the impressive dining room inside with its soaring ceiling and casual yet sophisticated decor. Our dinner menu features tantalizing offerings like Florida Keys’ Shrimp Cocktail, Tropical Crab Cakes, Panko Encrusted Florida Grouper, Key Lime Pie, TDF 'To Die For' Sticky Toffee Pudding and more. Casual resort attire recommended at this Florida Keys restaurant.
Reviewed November 14, 2013

So once agin TripAdvisor has lead us to a great restaurant... But this one was extra good!
The atmosphere was super: outdoor seating(indoor is available too) , clean, properly lit and family friendly

The food was great: we had tuna tartare, grouper, the hogfish, and the scallops, and one of the nicest key lime pie slices ever. The food was properly cooked, we'll seasoned and overall just great!

The service was professional and full of kind people. The assistant waiter, Sabastian, was fantastic with my kid but never presented himself unprofessionally...my daughter thought he was great and so did we.

The hostess brought over a description of the adopted cats they have on property which soon turned into a treasure hunt for the kids... Which was fully supported by the staff giving them hints on how/where to find them and what they liked to do....

We ended up coming here 2 time in the week we were in the keys... Yup the food and staff were that good...and we are planning to visit again the next time we go to the keys...

There are newer reviews for Butterfly Cafe

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Last Friday was my husband’s birthday and I have chosen The Tranquility Bay Hotel (where restaurant is located) since we thought it would be a good place to stay and dine to celebrate.

We drove almost 3 hours from Weston and when arriving at the hotel that night, we had a terrible welcome. After getting in the hotel, with my husband and my 2 boys, we arrived at the restaurant for dinner at 9:07pm. The hostess (unfortunately cannot remember her name) was very unpleasant and told us the restaurant was already closed (7 minutes ago). The restaurant was full and I explained that we were staying at the hotel, that we drove 3 hours, it was a very important celebration for us and on the top of that, my kids were starving. But she denied to serve us.

I started imagining where we could find any descent food / place around there. She has not even said “I am sorry” … or has shown any “commotion” about the situation. After insisting a lot she went inside to – according to her –ask her manager. The answer was “no” again. Now here comes the worst part. She has offered us they could prepare our dinner and serve at our room because they would not have a waitress to serve us at the restaurant. WHAT????

We couldn’t believe and end up leaving very disappointed. You can imagine the type of night we end up having by eating in an awful place with poor and oily food close to the hotel (recommended as one of the other options there).

We really don’t understand how a restaurant can close the kitchen at 9pm in a Friday, in a very touristic place – this is just hard to understand. But worse than that, is pay more that U$400 for a night stay, be willing to pay for a expensive dinner and be treated like that in such circumstances. We felt very disrespected and disappointed.

The fact of the matter is that because of 7 minutes, this hostess and possible her manager, ruined any possibility for us to come back again. Really sad.

7  Thank AnaCristina1971
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We purchased a home in Marathon last summer and have visited quite a few restaurants in Marathon, a few of which we consider "excellent." But when having lunch at the T.J.s Tiki bar one afternoon, we asked Lance (a very friendly bar tender) if dinner was good at the Butterfly Cafe' and he said it was the best in Marathon (and he was not just saying that because he worked there!) After our trip to Paris, we decided to try Butterfly Cafe' and I must say, it was the best meal we had (even better than in Paris - and we had LOTS of good meals in France!) My Mom had the grouper, I had the scallops and my husband had pork chops. Everything was perfect! Great service, atmosphere and food. We will be back (many times) now that we have discovered this wonderful restaurant at a beautiful resort in Marathon. Thanks Tranquility Bay!

1  Thank brendakaren
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I took my wife here on a trip we took for her birthday. Wonderful location in a quaint, charming place. We ate outside in a tropical setting. Wife had delicious scallops and I had great snapper. Awesome goat cheese appetizer. Nancy our server was fantastic.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

After reading that the restaurants at our hotel were not that good we looked on trip advisor for another option and found this place. The atmosphere on the veranda was really nice and the food was excellent. The staff was very nice and attentive throughout the entire dinner. Great Restaurant for any occasion !! :)