“Great Value, Very Clean”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sea Dell Motel

Sea Dell Motel
Ranked #3 of 16 Marathon B&B and Inns
Fredericksburg, Va
“Great Value, Very Clean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

Sea Dell provides a great value for the keys. The staff is very pleasant and helpful. This has been our second stay at the Sea Dell and we plan to return. The rooms are well equipped. Our room had a small fridge, microwave, and coffee pot. We plan to visit again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank littlbit001

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Czech first
carb-lover
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2009

My husband and teenaged son stayed at the Sea Dell last summer for a couple nights. Here's the good stuff....the room was nice - super clean and comfortable. No complaints about the bed or the bath. I like vintage motels, and this one was a good one! The check in and out was fine, and the price was okay. I think we paid just over $100.00. But it's just a place to put your head down. It's right on the main highway. All the rooms I saw appeared the same to me. There was no privacy for sitting outside and the view was either the parking lot and highway or the parking lot and the highway. The pool is secluded from the Highway, but then again...right on the main road. You constantly here the traffic going by. We did take a swim or two and really enjoyed the pool. Again, this area was super clean. There were some creepy people in one of the rooms near the pool. They looked to me to be constuction workers or extended stayer's. Smoking and drinking outside of the room. Seemed unusual for a place like this. Made me uncomfortable and I wouldn't let me teen roam around on his own. I didn't complain to the management - one because we were leaving the next day and two because the people we in the room just across from the office and I feel they should have been aware. To sum it up....clean and cute, but if you want to enjoy inside and out of your place....I don't think this it.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Cleveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2009

I had read all the good reviews before we booked this motel. They were all correct! When we checked in, I asked if we could have a room with a view of the courtyard. She told us that the one we booked was less expensive, and it would cost more for one of those rooms. But then upgraded us at no charge! The room was great, just what you would think of in the keys! Why pay more for a big chain hotel. The room we had included a full size refrigerator microwave even a little kitchen. Couldn't ask for any better! I liked it better then the Courtyard and the Hampton Inn's we stayed at! I have some digital videos of the motel, if anyone wants to see!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank casper150
Kalispell, Montana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2009

Not sure why the Sea Dell is listed in B&B, as there was no evidence of the second "B". This is a 50's style, right off the highway little motel. Our room was clean, looked to be freshly painted, but was pretty small. We paid $110 + tax for our small room, king bed, little fridge/micro, a table and two chairs. The bathroom was pretty dinky, no tub, but again - clean. The room was quiet, the A/C worked (important). The bed left a little to be desired as it seemed to have a center "divot" (sleepers rolled to the middle).

Staff was VERY friendly, and had a good suggestion for nearby breakfast joint.

All in all, this was an adequate place to stay. I probably would not have paid $110 if I had seen the room in advance. We didn't look, but my impression was that we were not very near the water. Marathon is a loooong "town", and there are a lot of lodging options. Without being able to compare, I won't "diss" the Sea Dell, but I would probably explore other lodging in the future.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Detroit
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2009

We stayed three nights and found it to be clean quiet and friendly.
There are plenty of restaraunts and food/booze stores within walking distance and Big Pine and Bahia Honda keys are nearby for day trips.
Loverly pool and the BBQ grills are a great feature.
If you are looking for a bit of "Old Florida" at a good price, this is it.
It's about a 40 min drive to Key West, and a whole lot cheaper than staying there.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Prof_Chaos
virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2009

My family and I just returned from a trip to the Florida Keys. We chose to stay in Marathon at the Sea Dell based on reviews on trip advisor. We were not disappointed. We loved that the Sea Dell was VERY clean and affordable. Clean is extremely important to me. The kitchenette in the duplex with microwave, toaster, refrigerator, and oven was perfect and convenient for staying with children. You can see the water from the duplex and it is very quiet and serene. The staff was very sweet and accommodating. The landscaping around the buildings was pretty. We could not have been any happier staying anywhere else. In fact, we are already planning our trip back to the Sea Dell next year. Keep in mind, this rave review is coming from a person who usually will only stay at swanky resort-type places. (My husband thinks I am the biggest snob in that respect.) However, I will be looking forward to visiting the Sea Dell anytime we are back in Marathon.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank wifeofadiver
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2009

We chose this motel because of the reviews on trip advisor but unfortunately it didn't come out top for us. We have no complaints about the room itself. It was perfectly adequate, very clean, had all we needed, and even the small bathroom posed no problems. The young lady on reception was extremely helpful, nothing was too much trouble, and she provided us with a list of restaurants and any directions we required.

The motel is situated on the main road, and even though we had one of the rooms furthest from the road we could still hear the traffic in the early hours of the morning. Also close by was something that sounded like a large generator which constantly went on and off. It was the same on both nights we stayed there.

The public beach, a short drive away, was very nice and had ample free parking. We tried Castaways restaurant and the food was excellent. There was plenty of accomodation available throughout the Keys and had we have not pre-booked and pre-paid we would have found something more suitable for us.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort
Captain Pip's Marina & Hideaway

Been to Sea Dell Motel? Share your experiences!