“Great last minute getaway”

Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I decided to take a last minute trip up to Marathon and we stayed in the new guest rooms that have recently been completed. Our room was perfect, we had a king guest room on the second floor overlooking the garden courtyard. I got the best sleep of my life in that bed, it was so comfortable! When we arrived we had dinner at the Butterfly Cafe and our serve Stacey was wonderful, her suggestions were all on point and she was very welcoming. The next morning we got a chance to hang out on the beach and have lunch at the tiki bar, the bartender Jeff is awesome he made us feel like old friends. The only downside to our stay was leaving, we will definitely be back as soon as possible!

• Stayed: December 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (3,657)

Reviewed December 17, 2013

This was our first time here but definitely won't be our last. My wife, 16-month old, and I really enjoyed our stay and cannot wait to make a return trip.

Pros:
-The condos / townhouses are awesome. Modern, comfy, and clean. Two great decks: one at ground level, the other off the master BR upstairs. 2.5 bathrooms. Fully equipped kitchen. Daily house-keeping. Complete with bed and bath linens and towels. Beach / pool towels are also supplied. So is an in-unit washer and dryer.
-The location. About a two hour drive from Miami. 10 minutes from Bahai Honda State Park (a must visit). About an hour drive to Key West (also a must if you've never been). The resort is on the Gulf side of the Key so you get a great sunset. The resort is near several restaurants, grocery stores, drug stores, and convenience stores. Basically, everything you could need is close by. (Including a hospital in case you were wondering....)
-The grounds. Awesome. Beautifully designed, thoughtfully laid out, impeccably maintained. The pools are great, putting greens a fun addition, watersports pier has something for everyone, the beach is awesome (for a Keys "beach").
-Tiki Bar. Great food. Very friendly and capable bartenders.
-Staff. Helpful. Friendly. Out of sight, unless needed.
-Free parking. Self-Explanatory
-Very safe, private feeling resort. We left our door unlocked any time we went to the pool or beach. I'm usually very careful (paranoid) and would like to see a key-card lock on all doors instead of the the keyed lock on the pool side deck doors, but, against my normal character, we didn't worry too much about leaving the doors unlocked.

Cons: (Nothing major and certainly no deal-breakers. Just full-disclosure)
-The "resort fee" of $25 extra per night. I don't know what this was for and I felt slightly fleeced by it.... I'd rather it was just built into the nightly rates so it would be up-front and done with.
-Tiki Bar hours. They stop serving food around 5pm and close up for good around 7:30pm. The only other on-site option for food is the Butterfly Cafe and the only other option for drinks would be BYOB. Some evenings, after a full day of fun in the sun, we didn't want to venture off-site for a bite to eat. The Tiki Bar was closed therefore our only other option was the Butterfly Cafe.
-The Butterfly Cafe. We did not eat here. We wanted to eat here, especially on our first night because the last thing we wanted to do after traveling all day was to get back in the car. So, around 6:30 pm, and the Tiki Bar closed, we headed for the Butterfly Cafe basically in our swim-trunks, t-shirts, and flip-flops. We were never actually told that we were under-dressed but when we got to the lobby and saw some other diners in more formal attire, we FELT very under-dressed, therefore we skipped it. (Headed to Burdine's instead. About a 5 minute drive, very causal, friendly, reasonably priced, and delicious. We ate there twice, in fact.) So, we heard that the Butterfly Cafe is great but a bit more expensive and formal than what we desired for the on-site evening dining option.
-The house-keeping service. While they always did a great job, you never really knew what time of day they were going to show up. With a little one that has a nap schedule, that can be tough. In fact, one day, I had the "Do Not Disturb" sign clearly hanging on the door, when, from the front porch, I heard a crash from the baby monitor. I rushed in to find the housekeeper loudly doing her thing in our kitchen and my previously sleeping toddler awake and screaming. I was pretty annoyed and it ended up being my biggest complaint of the week. I still don't know how the sign was ignored. My second biggest complaint would be the fact that I left a note sit on the kitchen counter, with a tip, asking for more coffee filters for two straight days. The filters never showed, but the tip disappeared.
-One unsolicited pool-side conversation from a particularly chatty staff member. For seemingly no other reason except to talk my wife and I's ears off, this fellow came into the pool area and ignored about 15 minutes worth of subtle hints that we just wanted to relax. Alone. He meant no harm, but it was unwelcome and annoying, nonetheless.
-It rained for about 4 hours on our second day. I fully blame the resort staff. Of course I'm kidding. It was actually great just hanging out on the the fully covered second story deck and watching the rain pour down.

In conclusion, this was a great experience. Again, we look forward to our next stay here, so much that I won't even bother researching any other resorts in the area.

Room Tip: If you have kids, get a room facing the Lagoon Pool. It's the "family" pool and no mat...
4  Thank mackdelarocha
Reviewed December 16, 2013

If you want to relax in a tropical locale Tranquility Bay is the place for you. Lush grounds, inviting pool and outstanding condos. This was our third visit to Marathon and second time to Tranquility Bay and we would certainly recommend a visit.

Room Tip: Choose the condos that look out to the Bay, we have stayed in a two bedroom and a three bedroom bot...
1  Thank Cathy W
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Recently stayed at this resort is it mostly two storey apartments for four people but because the new guest rooms for two were not ready we were offered one of these. It had everything you could have wished for, including washer and tumble dryer in one of the bedroom cupboards. Balconies to bedrooms and lounge were a lovely treat. Kitchen well equipped. Gardens and pool areas very clean and all apartments have a very short walk to the beach which is lovely with a snack bar/bar. Water sports available from beach. Restaurant a bit expensive but you can dine outside or inside. Staff very polite at all times. Only downside is we got bitten quite badly so take care.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SuzanneRamsbottom
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Just stayed this week for 4 days at Tranquility Bay and so glad that we did. We had a 3BR waterfront condo that was on the board walked cove area. I was with wife and my 2 1/2 year old. The place was wonderful, the staff were all incredibly friendly every single one of them that we encountered. Ate at the butterfly cafe one night and it was as billed, probably the best high end eats on the island. The condo had everything that we needed, but I can see that if you plan on cooking gourmet meals at the condo, the wares might make it a bit hard. Only the basic essentials. But it served our purposes just fine. The rooms were all of adequate size, the 2nd and 3rd rooms a bit on the tight side. But the master was really big. Had a few ants for 2 of the days in the kitchen, but hey its FL, no biggie.

The beach.....probably the biggest problem for this place, and after talking to a few of the staff there is not a lot that they can do about it. They had crews clean the beach 2 out of the 4 days that we were there with a tractor, took all day. And the very next day it looked as if it was never done! Not the resort or the workers fault, its The Keys natural cycle of winds, tides etc. But, WOW, the smell at times down wind was potent! Not a big issue, but the beach was really not swimmable. We hung out in the pool, which was the best part of the resort, great for kids! The iguanas were prevalent, but not a bother. They don't want you to mess with them just as much as they don't want to mess with you. Some did seem a bit grumpy, saw 1 or 2 in the pool when they would be fighting and chased each other around.

This place was great, quiet and relaxing. If you are looking for a party scene at all, this place is just the opposite. Actually all of Marathon seemed very quiet and relaxed. I would give this place a 4.5 out of 5, and would return without a doubt!

Room Tip: If you want an unobstructed view of the water, you need to probably get a beachfront or cove front r...
1  Thank IUBBFAN
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I returned to Tranquility Bay Resort this year because of the excellent service I received last year. Thank goodness Jeff was still bartending at the Tiki Bar! He makes the trip worthwhile. Thank you Tranquility Bay ... as long as he is there, I will continue to visit each year.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We stayed 3 nights. Although it was just me and my wife, we got this huge two story townhouse with 2 bathrooms and 3 toilets and 4 beds and a nice kitchen and living room. That was the best surprise.

The pros:
I would think its the best resort in Marathon, also it is of an acceptable distance to key west. We went there once by car, it took 1 hour. Key west is too crowded and full of bars and other joints, we don't like that kind of athmosphere.

Service was ok, not breath-taking but pretty ok.

The cons:
the hotel beach is pretty useless, smells of seaweed sometimes and the beach is not suitable for swimming. We went by car to sombrero beach and bahia honda beach instead.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
Skipjack Resort Suites & Marina
Lime Tree Bay Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach

Been to Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort? Share your experiences!