“buyer beware”

Rainbow Bend Fishing Resort
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Reviewed August 17, 2007

THIS PLACE IS A DUMP!
Don't give this man your credit card number. We booked this room based on the beautiful web pics. Very misleading!
We stopped by a couple of days prior to our reservation date to check out the location on our way to key west. Broken down docks, filthy ground, boats not safe to use!

When we saw the poor condition we asked if we could cancel and get a refund for our 4 nights.
We were told by the young girl at the desk we could not. This is a one man show and the owner would not even speak to us.
Because we felt we had no other choice, we arrived a few days later to check in for our reservation and were told by the girl that they had no rooms available and they had rented our room to someone else.

The owner still hid and refused to speak with us. They charged our credit card anyway and refused to give us a refund or anything in writing.

I question the good reviews....must have been written by a friend.

Stayed: June 2007

Reviewed August 5, 2007

there are lots of things that the management should do to fix it, not just website that misslead visitor because all of the pictures taken along time ago. It was to expensive just to stay there with such an old facilities. Hope management will improve their quality of rooms and also facilities.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2007

My husband and I with our one and a half year old son just came back from a 4 night stay at the Rainbow Bend Fishing Resort.The environment was peaceful and relaxed and very quiet. There are two docks with open access to motorboats, kayaks and paddleboats and a great pool/hot tub. The grassy area in front of our room was perfect for our son to run around and just hang out in our lawn chairs. The room itself was nice with a kitchennette and bath although we had to overlook some garbage under the couch cushions and lots of weeds in the patio. If your someone who can overlook imperfection and relax in a beautiful natural environment; this is a great place to go. We didn't go to dinner in the restaurant but the complimentary breakfasts served by Amy, were great! We simply, had a great time in a wonderful place.
Tara, Steve, and Tyler

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank waterfl
Reviewed July 16, 2007

We return back for the Rainbow Bend Resort and is excellent. The personal of the Hotel is triple A plus, all the room is very clean and in good shapes. I recommended this hotel to all persons that is interesting in visit the Marathon area.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank JJDL226613
Reviewed July 1, 2007

I have stayed in many hotels in The Florida Keys and do not mind the older no frills accomodations, in fact I usually love them but I will not be returning to Rainbow Bend any time soon. The rooms are old and pretty typical for The Keys, we had a small 1 bedroom cottage that has a king size bed, with a room that included a sitting area and a small kitchen. The furnishings were very old and the sofa looked like it was purchased and last cleaned in the mid 70's. The bed was very comfortable and I slept like a rock I must say which I guess is a trade off for the multiple flea bites that I had when I woke the next day. The resort offers a" complementary" breakfast every morning which we only had on the first day since the service was soooo bad. My food came out not what I ordered and the waitress replied to me "well it is complementary" as she refilled my half cup of tea with black coffee. After the second time my breakfast was served and it too was not cooked to my liking, I settled for dry toast. After that experience we picked up some food for the next days breakfast to just have in our room. This resort (if you want to call it that) offers free use of boats included in your room cost. They are small Boston Whalers which are ok for the shallow waters of The Florida Keys except that you can only use them from the hours or 7:30 am to 3:45 PM. It doesnt get dark untill well after 7:00 and it would have been nice to go out on the boat after returning from sight seeing in the late afternoon. They do charge you for fuel as well which is understandable but $10.00 for a 1/4 hour seemed a little high. There is a small reef just off of the property and that is the only place we went on the boat to do some snorkeling for about an hour or so. When we got there (within swimming distance of the resort I might add) we shut off the engines and anchored. We were charged the same rate of $10.00 per 1/4 hour. The ladder for the boat was broken and only had 2 steps, so getting back in the boat was a real challenge as well. The dive flag that we were given which is required for snorkeling was so old it fell apart while we were out on the mini reef. They did say that they had just ordered new ones but they had not arrived. I hope so for the saftey of the guests. There is a rough rock sea wall all along the resort so don't plan on wading into the ocean if you decide to stay there. At the end of the day it would have been nice to sit on our patio and look at the ocean except the hedges were so unkept that it blocked our view. We decided to try the pool instead. Also not a good idea because just as we started to relax an unwind a kid proceeded to vomit into the pool. Ok, thats not the resorts fault but give me a break. We ended up sitting in our room watching an old Tom Cruise movie which of course added to the amount of flea bites we had the following morning. There are alot of places to stay in The Keys that are old but very nice with great grounds. For the rate of $230.00 a night I feel like I have really been taken.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank Beachnurse904
Reviewed June 12, 2007

The place is a rip-off….They charge you a 15% “service charge” on everything, absolutely everything, including the base room charge….Taxes are 11.5% anyway…So add 26.5% total to your charges, all of them, to account for taxes and their “service charges.”

The beach is nice…The rooms okay...Boats okay…The breakfast excellent…But their charges are exorbitant for what it is!

• Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank BuzzyCuda
Reviewed May 29, 2007

May 2007 - Unfortunately no pot of gold was found at the end of this Rainbow.
My wife and I booked this place after looking at their website. It made it sound the ideal place to spend the second week of our vacation after we couldn`t book into our usual place in the Keys.
After booking in and unpacking we started to explore are new surrounding and found there was no observation tower, no glass bottomed boat, no charter boat, no sailing boats. The boat and fishing jetty`s were in a bad state of repair. The air had a bad odour due to the tide was out. We made enquiries regarding the missing items and were told they had been damaged in the storms last year. Oh well. But why had they not been repaired or replaced ??
We were booked into the `resort` for 6 days and quickly realised that the place was in dire need of maintenance and care. However we decided to stay, albeit in a $300 a night room.
We stayed in the 2 bedroomed second floor apartment with a balcony patio and a great view to the Atlantic, however there was a big hole in the wooden wall and the bath wouldn`t empty. this was reported and was attempted to be fixed by a guy who just poured caustic soda down the drain. It helped a little.
We found that the `Hideway Cafe` restaurant was excellent at night for a meal. We couldn`t fault the food or service, however I would suggest you `Hideaway` from the complimentary American breakfast as they are a joke.
Unfortunately I only got to use the `free` motor boats once to go fishing and found them just OK. they could do cleaning and servicing. 3 Days after arriving the weather changed and the wind started blowing upto 40 mph so it wasn`t safe to use the boats even though they did let guests use them if they wanted to, which I found irresponsible.
You cant blame the resort for the weather we got for the last 3 days but when it did rain heavy nearly all the resort flooded out and the kitchen window in our apartment did nothing to stop the rain flooding the work surfaces.

Rainbow Bend Resort is misrepresented on their website and until the owners listen to guests complaints and observations and start to take some care and do alot more maintanance I would avoid the place. Its expensive for what you get, which isn`t alot.
This place could be wonderful if someone cared.
And no, my wife and I will not be returning to Rainbow Bend

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank UKtourist23
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
Skipjack Resort Suites & Marina
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
Lime Tree Bay Resort
The Hammocks at Marathon
The Hammocks at Marathon
#7 of 17 in Marathon

Been to Rainbow Bend Fishing Resort? Share your experiences!