“Great Relaxation!”

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Miami, Florida
“Great Relaxation!”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Not fancy but very comfortable. Great on site restaurant- not quite gourmet but close.
We like never having to leave the property and its inherent laid back- ness.
Since we like to read and enjoy their Boston Whalers for some water action, doing nothing to very little appeals to us and we think the price is right for what we get. If you want fancy and high end this is not for you- but if you want to hang out, chill out or just sort of stop your hectic way of life, this is a great place.
Michael and Angela Cudlipp- Miami, Fl

Room Tip: Rooms 6, 7 and 8 are our favorites
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Polish first
rhode island
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I booked rainbow with low expectations based on the reviews and was still very disappointed. I took a chance because they included boat rentals. Besides crabs and other creatures running around the room the website was inaccurate. It states that you pay a 15 percent resort fee that covers gratuities but as soon as we sat down for breakfast the menus were marked in highlighted marker "gratuities not included". Also it states free use of motor boats are included and you just pay for gas used. Actually as soon as you take a boat out they make you sign that it is a minimum of $15.05 for gas am if you use all of the 6 gallon tank it will be $54.00. Even at marina has prices this is not the cost of gas. We took the boat out twice in a day right in a row day and used less then a 1/4 of a tank (2 gallons) and it costs over 30 bucks. The dock hands were less then enthusiastic about helping us an one kept saying " it is only my second day" and said he knew nothing about good fishing spots. You can rent a brand new 20 foot boat for $85 plus gas on the road, and there are several nicer hotels as well close by for cheaper. The rooms were beyond needing an overhaul, holes in the walls ( which would explain the critters), caked mold on the bathroom mirror and shower. I do expect some mold due to being on the water but his was crazy. Also breakfast was burnt and included 3oz glass of OJ. lastly the beach is not swimmable and the dock is not fishable. I know key west is not known for beaches but this should not be advertised as a beach. It is only inches deep for hundreds of feet and dirty. I posted pictures as well to support these statements. I had asked for the manager/owner to call me because my biggest problem was the inaccurate website and the women working laughed at me and said "they will not call you", her attitude was very unprofessional. There was another women working day that was nice. Two other smaller issues were there was a mix up with our room when we got there, they tried to put us in the jacuzzi suite which is dark and family with no bathroom door and sewer smell on the patio so we went in room 2. We do not have any noise issues from the resteraunt as some others ha but we were there during slow period. There was also a mix up with our bill when checking out.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank HiThere123456
Miami, Florida
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We had a perfect vaycay...very clean,staff was pleasant .Marcia and Sonya both helped us....t.v. and a jump...20 steps to the ocean and boatdock the guys were cool......highly recommended and I wish I was there now......wishing on a star,,thanks babe it was BEAUTIFUL.....

Room Tip: 'ROOM 17' next to the pool and Jacuzzi real peaceful ,relaxing trip.....
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Woodstock, Georgia
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was the second time I stayed at the Rainbow bend. The first was 4 years ago, and I stayed in the upper level of the octagon house. Besides being very outdated everything was decent. The dock staff on my first visit were extremely friendly and helpful.
Last week I retuned and the whole experience was a disaster at best.First, I was mis quoted on the room with them telling me there were two double beds only to get there and only have 1 king bed. Then I was told that the couch pulled out. Of course they will charge you for the whole stay before you can see the room. They charged my credit card and I found out the couch doesnt fold out. I went to the office and they told me they thought it was a pull out, but I could upgrade for an additional $50 a night. I went back to the dump of a room I got stuck with. If I could post pictures than you would know what I meen. There were blood stains on the sheets, mold on the walls and ceiling, a nasty looking fridge you would find in a bait shop, small tube Tv, nasty panelled walls, cheap mattress that hurt to lay on, roaches (4), noisey port. air conditioner and caulk over mold all over the tub and shower. OK, thats just the room. Remember, I am a guy. It was nasty.
The first day my son and I took out the skiff we went to coffins patch, which is awesome we had fun. We came back and were charged for 1/4 tank of fuel which was exactly what we were charged the time before when I stayed. The dockhand was nice and friendly. The second day we decided to fish close to coffins patch, but a little closer to the hotel. We pulled the anchor and started the boat and it stalled. We could not start the motor and kept trying. We drifted out and down and I could no longer anchor with the 20 ft. of rope. I called the hotel and told them what happened and they said someone would come out. After waiting 45 min. I tried to start the engine again. Tried the choke again, pumped the gas ball and after another 15 min. got it started. We called the hotel and told them we got it started. We were charged for all the fuel. Day 3 we decided to snorkel Coffins patch and when we got back I was charged 1/2 tank of fuel, and when I questioned it the told me Coffins patch is allways 1/2 a tank. B.S.
We used the skiff again on the 4th day and barely went out to the reef area and were charged a half tank. I did complain and told them that Coffins patch was allways 1/4 tank on my last visit how come its 1/2 tank now. The tanks the same size, and the boat and motor are the same as they were on my previous visit. Why? There answer was that they put ney motors on the boats every year and they are not as fuel efficient. That is a total lie. This hotel is a total ripoff and the staff lie to squeeze every penny out of tourists they can.I believe the staff writes most of the positive reviews on here because there were people telling me there rooms were nasty. The pictures are extremely decieving.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Noel T
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Went on a mini vacation, down to the Keys, stayed at Rainbow Bend, everyone was wonderful. I'm from Florida and it reminded me of "old Florida charm" the way it used to be. The staff's very helpful and friendly. They make you feel welcomed and part of the family. Boating was excellent it was fun just to get out on the water and boat around. Hideaway Cafe's food was delish, staff there was very welcoming and treated you like you were a regular who came in everyday. Can't say enough about the place. WE WILL BE BACK LOVED IT!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Georgia
Reviewed June 16, 2013

For a good time, relaxing wonderful getaway, Rainbow Bend should be your destination. Boat included is a real plus for snorkeling at the patch reefs. Friendly staff and comfortable accommodations were nice, Hideaway Café was wonderful and the atmosphere enchanting. Nice pool and great view of the ocean. Totally enjoyed it!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
happywifey
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

This place is beyond gross and to be honest I can NOT believe they are a resort and charge what they do.. I feel so cheated and actually feel like I was robbed! Do not stay here please read all reviews .. I have a young family and we ran when we saw this place it's gross smells people are creepy it's right on the road and a dump.. Listen if it was cheap BUT it's not its a rip!!! I mean what this guy GEORGE is running is a scam and I'm doing everything in my power for anyone not to be scammed again.. The room 10 was smelly had stains on wall smelled like sewer and for it to be a 2 bedroom? Hello there was like a make shift wall... The stove and fridge had RUST ugh and the pool area was rusting .. Those " boats" are scary looking and breakfast is only 740-930 anyhow PLEAE PLEAE don't stay here run to the white sands inn thankfully we ran out after 30 mins and found paradise !!! Don't stay here this place is a living scam!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank happywifey19
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
Seashell Beach Resort
Seashell Beach Resort
#11 of 17 in Marathon
Lime Tree Bay Resort

Been to Rainbow Bend Fishing Resort? Share your experiences!