“Great Experience!”

Ranked #1 of 50 things to do in Marathon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My father, husband & I really enjoyed our experience at The Turtle Hospital!! Our visit started with a video and explanation of rescuing, rehabilitation and release of the turtles. This was followed by a look at the operating room & pools where the turtles are kept until they can be released. I was impressed by the care given at the hospital--right down to the staff naming the turtles! Been to Marathon several times, so I was glad to finally get to The Turtle Hospital. Reservations are required.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,458)

Reviewed July 1, 2013

My children enjoyed the educational experience and we got to see a turtle in the operating room having a fish hook removed from it's throat.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband wanted to go here, and initially I thought I would find it boring! It was about a 90 minute visit including a film about turtles, tour of the hospital/treatment area including the areas where surgery is performed on turtles in need.
Then out to the back of the property you get to meet the turtles who are being helped by the hospital. It was a great education on the turtles and common challenges they face. This hospital is a great benefit to helping turtles survive.
I really enjoyed this.
The only thing I could say as a drawback- is that the outside part is shaded but outside- very hot on the day we went!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was a comprehensive and educational tour of a working Turtle Rescue/Rehabilitation hospital. Many of the "real world" topics covered on the tour along with the live visuals of injured turtles being treated just in front of you was too much for our 5 1/2 year old. In fact, I felt it was too much or myself, even with my medical background and understanding of what dangers sea turtles face daily in the ocean. Though I realize the tour fee is a donation to a very costly good cause, I thought that 35min of the tour being a power point lecture was slightly boring and definitely too long for the children present. We did have a wonderful tour guide and were able to view many of the patients, but I would suggest making a stop and a donation and just reading the information in the gift shop. It is Too much for children under 12 to process about the evils of the world.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Most of the family chose to do this stop while in The Keys on an eight day vacation. I wish all of us would've gone because it's definitely worth the price of admission especially since it goes toward the rescue and rehabilitation of these majestic creatures. We learned a lot about the turtles and got to visit the current residents and patients at the facility, some of whom will live out the remainder of their life here due to permanent conditions. Even my dad, a retired marine biologist, learned a few new things!! I bought myself a beautiful turtle sarong and a pair of earrings. I like my sarong so much, we drove all the way back to the Turtle Hospital (about an hour out of our way!!) on our way out of The Keys to pick up a couple more as gifts for friends. I would highly recommend this facility for anyone in your group who likes sea turtles. And who doesn't like sea turtle?!?!

3  Thank austinteacher