“Castaway back in time”

Castaway Waterfront Restaurant & Sushi Bar
Ranked #15 of 91 Restaurants in Marathon
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Description: Seafood, Steaks, Sushi, Prime Rib Lunch and Dinner Daily. Full Liquor Bar and 33 BEERS ON TAP Indoor and Outdoor Waterfront Dining In Business since 1951. Voted Best Overall Restaurant in Marathon 2 years in a rowLive Music, Late night Entertainment on FridaysClub Mirabella Nightclub Dancing FRIDAY starting at 10:30pm
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We enjoyed Castaways. We went with a group of ten. Our server did will with our New years Eve dinner. A very busy night....it was a long meal but it was all done very well.

Again, the food was done very well. An important item...our restaurant was confirmed as a quality choice by certain locals. I would definitely visit Castaways if your visiting the area.

Parking is tight but done be nervous ..the proprietor has made a provision for some additional parking and made a golf cart available to the patrons. very smart and necessary.

This is a great local restaurant. Eat local...It's usually always better.

There are newer reviews for Castaway Waterfront Restaurant & Sushi Bar

Reviewed January 1, 2014

My cousins and I went to Castaway Restaurant for New Year's Eve, while visiting the Keys (which we do a lot!). Had a GREAT night! We were disappointed at first when we were told we'd have to sit outside and not in the main dining room, but we soon found out that we lucked out!! There was a great duo playing outside - music was great! Went inside on the way to restroom, and it was quiet and DULL inside - so glad we ended up outside! Dinner was good, but overall experience was a great one. Would definitely go back - especially if I knew that group would be there. I made sure I got their card on my way out - their name is Tim Dee and Jim Hill, card says website is Timdeejimhillmusic.com Look for them, and Castaway when in the Keys for a fun time!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Not much to look at but Castaway ended up being quite enjoyable and tasty. Our waitress was a doll and did a great job with all eight of us during a very busy night. Several of us tried the hog fish and loved it. Simple food, fun setting, nice meal.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We ate Castaway's a year ago, loved it and I reviewed it as a great restaurant. My wife and I just returned from another week in Marathon and this time we found the food to be even better and more exceptional and worth writing an updated review. Last year we had gone fishing and brought Castaway's our freshly caught fish and they prepared great meals at extraordinarily reasonable prices. This year we decided to sample their chef's creations and try some of their specialty dishes. On both occasions we just dropped by without a reservation and while the restaurant was always packed, they found us great tables on the water and our servers were knowledgeable, friendly and wonderfully helpful. I think they added a new item: Their Draft Beer Sampler (a flight of beers). My wife and another one of our guests picked five draft beers and then after sampling each chose one that they loved the most , which was a beer we never heard of called: Holy Mackerel. I always go for a more exotic drink, so I had a Pina Colada which had lots of rum and was delicious. One of the unique specialities of Castaway's is that they serve warm honey buns and each table has additional honey to pour on our butter plates. This is such a tasty treat that it is really a lovely bonus for coming to dine here, but given all the exceptional food, it is almost superfluous, but still delicious! We started with stone crabs which are a specialty of Marathon, since most of them are harvested off these waters. The stone crabs were awesome as was their own sauce that they serve them with. All of their main courses come with salads (caesar, ginger or house) , potatoes (sweet potato fries, regular fries, boiled or baked) and vegetables. My personal favorite is there sweet potato fries. I know they are a little exotic but diet when you go home !
I had Snapper Mazatlan, on my first visit and when we returned a few days later, I had their blackened grouper served with a Hollandaise sauce. Sometimes when you get blackened fish, the taste of the fish is obscured by the seasoning but in this case, it only enhanced the flavor of the fish.One of our friends ordered their Lionfish, which I tasted and was only sorry that I couldn't eat both entrees! The Lionfish, which was one the choices of their Fish of The Day and was prepared with what the chef calls their "Wreckdiver" marinade. It has lots of garlic and other seasonings that make it a very special main course. The servers told us on both occasions, that the owner goes out fishing each day and brings back a selection of fish that they serve and refer to as "The Fish of the Day". But at Castaway's it was always a pretty impressive selection of fish!

On our first visit we tried to leave room for a little dessert and had a couple of slices of their key lime pie, which we all agreed was pretty incredible! On our second visit, we were too stuffed to find room for even a spoonful!

If you are searching for the best restaurant(in my opinion, as well as my wife's and our friends ) in Marathon, give yourself a great treat and check out Castaway's!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We had a great meal at Castaway. The decor and look of the restaurant is outstanding, and the food (especially fish dishes) were great. I was a little disappointed in the sushi. Maybe it was an off night, but they just weren't very flavorful. The rice was not great (which really affects the overall flavor). I know they are the only sushi place in Marathon, and I had heard great things (including their Lionfish sushi), but I just wasn't that happy with the sushi. Everything else our party had was great though, so maybe we just hit on an off night for the sushi chef. Cool location right on the water, and the place was hoping on a Sat. night!