“What a variety!”

Castaway Waterfront Restaurant & Sushi Bar
Ranked #13 of 92 Restaurants in Marathon
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Description: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner - Seafood, Steaks, Sushi, Prime Rib Lunch and Dinner Daily. Full Liquor Bar and 52 BEERS ON TAP Indoor and Outdoor Waterfront Dining In Business since 1951. Voted Best Overall Restaurant in Marathon 4 years.
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Dragon Roll, Surf n Turf (YUM!), Grouper (Salty), boiled shrimp, sauteed gator (tasty!).

The location seemed a little sketchy at first but if I lived in the area this place would be the place I'd go for a variety of seafood. We left Castaway feeling satisfied and content.

The service was right on even though the place was slammed. Even the new guy was on top of his game. Our drinks were perfect and our food appeared in a reasonable amount of time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,568)

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Food is really good. Food portion is bigger then expected. Staffs are so nice and friendly. Although there are boxes of fish cooler in the parking lot and they're kinna smelly but you don't smell a thing when you are inside or outside in back of restaurant.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

When we asked about places to eat for the average meal at the front desk of our hotel, we were told that this was the place. The location seemed a little bit shady to get to but the parking lot was busy. We started with sauteed alligator tails, TERRIBLE!! I ordered the hogfish, TERRIBLE!! The wife ordered Captains Platter, TERRIBLE and OVERCOOKED!! The Honey Buns were just biscuits that you pour honey over, what a dissapointment !! The interior was very nicely decorated but if we wanted nice decor we would have eaten on the beach. The service was average and the waiters and waitresses were quick to clear our plates when we were done. We hardly removed any food from our plates as we couldn't eat it. We left hungry and eighty dollars broke. We would never return or suggest going here as the food was TERRIBLE!!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

After hearing some locals talk about this place we thought we would give it a try on our last night on Marathon. Honestly... In the setting we over heard the conversations and the experience we had makes me feel like they maybe getting paid to Talk them upto tourist. Very shady street to get to the place, and we questioned whether our car was safe or would get towed..we got in there and was surprised at the condition of the place. But whatever we sat down and ordered drinks. It tried what was their "speciality" key lime martini.. I could barely make out that it was key lime and it was rather warm. Then After what we wee told was an amazing sushi menu and they had "perfected" it, we ordered the surf n turf roll. Which has tempura lobster and prime rib over the top. We also ordered the hogfish sandwich. The food took what seemed forever in an non busy restaurant, out came the food and the sushi was TINY! Took a bite... And my husband asked how it was... I tried another bite before answering and then pushed it away and said completely flavorless. I gave him a bite to try to let me know if I was exaggerating...he agreed and said yeah that's really bad. His hogfish sandwich was okay but nothing great and he normally LOVES hogfish. The waitress was nice and asked how it was and I quietly asked her to take this away and explained my concerns... All I got was oh, sure.. And told that no one sends that back. So either I got a bad batch or they just don't say anything. I was hoping maybe even an offer to reduce the bill or talk to a manager regarding the situation... But no such luck. The bill came with everything on it and no manager in site (even though he did walk by us to sing happy birthday to another table). It's sad because we normally love going to the local hang outs, should have went to the place next door that we were also told about.

1  Thank CarrollwoodFoodie
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Yes, we ate here twice on our trip. It was so good. My son was very pleased with the sushi. I had hog fish for the first time and it was outstanding. The wreck diver preparation is awesome. Our server was incredible. She took so much time with us to explain and recommend. The honey buns...what can I say? Divine! This is a must do!