“Great place, food and wonderful employees”

Castaway Waterfront Restaurant & Sushi Bar
Ranked #15 of 90 Restaurants in Marathon
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Sushi
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Seafood, Steaks, Sushi, Prime Rib Lunch and Dinner Daily. Full Liquor Bar and 33 BEERS ON TAP Indoor and Outdoor Waterfront Dining In Business since 1951. Voted Best Overall Restaurant in Marathon 2 years in a rowLive Music, Late night Entertainment on FridaysClub Mirabella Nightclub Dancing FRIDAY starting at 10:30pm
hawaii
“Great place, food and wonderful employees”
Reviewed May 18, 2011

I love Castaway! It has always been good. The place is fun and the people who work here are some of the best people in the world. Very friendly and respectful. I have had many a great meals here. The bartenders are awesome!! Billy in particular is always smiling and always remembers your name and what you like to drink. The owners take great pride in there business. For a true Keys experience you must go to Castaway. You will have a great time and a great meal!

• Visited May 2011

• Polish first
“Great little hideaway!”
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Came to the keys for a 3 day family vacation before heading to West Palm for a wedding. Went on trip advisor looking for a great place to eat. Saw all the reviews for Castaways and decided to give it a try.

When we first arrived we were a little nervous as it is tucked away behind a trailer park housing area that is quite run down. Since we were eating with our young kids (7,5,4,& 4 months) we were afraid it wasn't going to be a place they should be in either. So glad that I read all the reviews because otherwise we may have left.

SOOOO glad we didn't leave. We ate inside (there is a small outside patio area) mainly because it was very warm. It sits on a small waterway but isn't somewhere you'd go for waterfront ambiance...that it did not have. However, the food is so great you won't notice.

I had read several reviews about a waiter named Joey and was thrilled when he was our waiter for the evening. He did a wonderful job with recommendations and was great with our kids. I had the catch of the day (mahi mahi) topped with a cream sauce made with shrimp and then Pablo breadcrumbs broiled on top. It was excellent. My husband had blackened mahi mahi which was also good, though a little salty he said. We also shared the surf n' turf sushi which was EXCELLENT.

It was a little on the pricey side. We had 2 LARGE seafood entrees, 8 pieces of sushi, 2 alcoholic beverages, 3 kids drinks, and 2 kids meals and our bill was $105.

If we had more time we would probably go back again. This is a great little hideaway restaurant and we are so glad we didn't pass it up.

San Diego, California
“Wonderful hidden gem”
Reviewed May 3, 2011

I recently had a stay at the Keys, and was recommended by several of the locals to this restaurant. It's hidden away, but is definitely worth the search. Their menu has a surprising large variety including sushi and a large drink menu including 33 beers on tap! The atmosphere was wonderful too, full of friendly locals and regulars, cool memorabilia that lined all the walls, and huge tv screens that played, including the basketball games I didn't want to miss. Needless to say, my family and I came back several times and each time was wonderful. the food was always delicious and we got to try so many different foods we hadn't before, like alligator tail and their honey buns. And I love that the staff makes everyone feel welcome by actually talking to us and the owners even came by the table several times to make sure everything was ok. Would definitely come back next time we're in the keys.

Arden, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the best restaurants in Marathon”
Reviewed April 27, 2011

My wife a I were traveling with another couple, we stayed at Hawks Cay resort. In chatting with others around the pool, they told us about Castaways & said it was a must. They said it was the best meal in marathon, fl. We took their suggustion & the 4 of us had dinner last Thursday. We deceided to sit in the front area since there was live music playing. Needless to say our meal was excellent... Our server Joey was extremely informative, after explaining the specials that night, he took the time to ask questions as to what we like & went over the entire menu with us. It been a long time since I had a server that makes me want to return, he obviously enjoys his job. He was full of personality and made our dining experience a lot of fun. Our dinner was excellent, the music was great, and by far one of the best servers we have ever had. The next day at the pool we met more tourist who were looking for a good restaurant. Needless to say we passed along our experience with Castaways Rest. I also said, if Joey was working to ask for him, and told them how much fun we had with him. I don't usually take the time to send a review, but felt the need to do so this time. Congratulations, the owners obviously take the time to hire the right people, that compliment their restaurant. Can't wait to visit your establishment next time.

Mike Hayes

1 Thank mikehayes1953
weston
“Yummy!”
Reviewed April 12, 2011

We loved our experience at Castaway! The staff is friendly, especially our waitress, Tina! I had sushi and it was very fresh and delicious. The three others I was with also loved their entrees. We sat outside and it was very keys-like and just a laid back comfy setting. A friend of ours recommended this place to us. It's hidden but, worth looking for! We will definitely be back on our next trip to the keys!