“Wonderful hidden gem”

Castaway Waterfront Restaurant & Sushi Bar
Ranked #15 of 91 Restaurants in Marathon
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Description: Seafood, Steaks, Sushi, Prime Rib Lunch and Dinner Daily. Full Liquor Bar and 33 BEERS ON TAP Indoor and Outdoor Waterfront Dining In Business since 1951. Voted Best Overall Restaurant in Marathon 2 years in a rowLive Music, Late night Entertainment on FridaysClub Mirabella Nightclub Dancing FRIDAY starting at 10:30pm
Reviewed May 3, 2011

I recently had a stay at the Keys, and was recommended by several of the locals to this restaurant. It's hidden away, but is definitely worth the search. Their menu has a surprising large variety including sushi and a large drink menu including 33 beers on tap! The atmosphere was wonderful too, full of friendly locals and regulars, cool memorabilia that lined all the walls, and huge tv screens that played, including the basketball games I didn't want to miss. Needless to say, my family and I came back several times and each time was wonderful. the food was always delicious and we got to try so many different foods we hadn't before, like alligator tail and their honey buns. And I love that the staff makes everyone feel welcome by actually talking to us and the owners even came by the table several times to make sure everything was ok. Would definitely come back next time we're in the keys.

There are newer reviews for Castaway Waterfront Restaurant & Sushi Bar

Reviewed April 27, 2011

My wife a I were traveling with another couple, we stayed at Hawks Cay resort. In chatting with others around the pool, they told us about Castaways & said it was a must. They said it was the best meal in marathon, fl. We took their suggustion & the 4 of us had dinner last Thursday. We deceided to sit in the front area since there was live music playing. Needless to say our meal was excellent... Our server Joey was extremely informative, after explaining the specials that night, he took the time to ask questions as to what we like & went over the entire menu with us. It been a long time since I had a server that makes me want to return, he obviously enjoys his job. He was full of personality and made our dining experience a lot of fun. Our dinner was excellent, the music was great, and by far one of the best servers we have ever had. The next day at the pool we met more tourist who were looking for a good restaurant. Needless to say we passed along our experience with Castaways Rest. I also said, if Joey was working to ask for him, and told them how much fun we had with him. I don't usually take the time to send a review, but felt the need to do so this time. Congratulations, the owners obviously take the time to hire the right people, that compliment their restaurant. Can't wait to visit your establishment next time.

Mike Hayes

1  Thank mikehayes1953
Reviewed April 12, 2011

We loved our experience at Castaway! The staff is friendly, especially our waitress, Tina! I had sushi and it was very fresh and delicious. The three others I was with also loved their entrees. We sat outside and it was very keys-like and just a laid back comfy setting. A friend of ours recommended this place to us. It's hidden but, worth looking for! We will definitely be back on our next trip to the keys!

Reviewed April 2, 2011

We dined at Castaway’s early on a Saturday evening at a table in the bar area (next to a rumbling refrigerated storage unit). We planned to sit at the bar, but were driven away by all the smokers. The menu’s and salt and pepper shakers were dirty & grimy. So much so, they gave my husband the heebie jeebies. The service was uneven. Our waitress spent a lot of time chatting with the fellows at the adjacent table and not so much with us. Castaway's has 33 beers on tap. We started with a couple of drafts and calamari. The calamari was a smallish portion, somewhat tough, very bland, and tasting a bit of old grease. Dinner is served with salad and choice of vegetable. The salad is primarily a little clump of iceberg lettuce. The dressing, a solid blob in a plastic cup. For dinner, we both had the fish sandwich entrée upgraded to hogfish and sweet potato fries. Dinner was nice and hot when it arrived and was good. The bar was home to a couple of resident cats which was a nice touch.

4  Thank HappyCamper48
Reviewed April 1, 2011

Tucked away behind a rather run down trailer park, is the best fresh seafood restaurant we had found during our trip to the Keys. Our only regret was we didn't discover it until our last night there!!
This place has a very laid back, island atmosphere. We ate on the the patio by the bar, but there was a large indoor dining area, too.
It could be a little smelly, as I think the refridgerated units where the fish was cleaned was next to the patio area, but once the finished product is brought to your table.... wow!!
I had to try the Hogfish, having heard so much about Hogfish on my trip to the Keys. What the hell is a Hogfish???? It's GOOOOD! Castaway's presentation was breaded and fried, but stuffed with scallops & shrimp in a cream sauce. Out this world delicious!!!
Since this was our last night in the Keys, we had to leave after dinner to take in our last beautiful sunset on the 7 mile bridge, but if we could have stayed longer, you could tell this was a place you could "get your drink on" and have a really good time. Castaway's is definitley on my list to return to!