“Keep Looking...”

Coconut Cay Resort & Marina
Ranked #11 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 4, 2006

This was not the worst place we've ever stayed (unfortunately) but it's up there. The best aspect was the pool, though that had its minuses too. It was very nice, big, clean, and we had it pretty much to ourselves all day. However, plane and helicopter traffic overhead, and car traffic right next to the pool area ... not the best. As for the room, my husband's socks were black after wearing them to walk around (I kept flip-flops on at all times). The bottom sheets were so ill-fitting that they kept coming off the mattress (gross!) and there was absolutely nowhere to put your bags or hang anything. And maybe the MOST annoying aspect was the fact that the only lighting was an obnoxious overhead ceiling light. There were no lamps -- not even a bedside lamp by which to read at night! Good thing I brought my itty-bitty book light!!!! (By the way, we asked 2 times for a bedside lamp, but to no avail.) Lastly, we never did figure out where that second pool was located, and also though we were given directions by the girl at the front desk, we still never found the beach that is advertised!! The people were nice, but sorry -- never again.

• Stayed: February 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Coconut Cay Resort & Marina

Seattle
Reviewed December 21, 2005

My boyfriend and I were sorely disappointed to note the sheets from the prior guests' were still on the bed. They were wrinkled and covered with hair. There were dirty clothes under the bathroom sink, scum and gunk on the faucets, the floor was dirty and, in the moist Keys air, caused a slimy effect on the floor, that resembled a mud puddle.

It was too late to call anyone over. I did in the morning and the sheets were changed (I think, I hope). Twice, I had requested a discount or refund for the day, it never came. I realize we could have packed up, but I had already paid in full, and the manager didn't make an appearance until we checked out. No one was empowered to made decisions in her absence.

When I did check out, I was greeted at the door by a huge, barking dog, which was rather intimidating. I refused to go in and walked away. Two women were at the counter; they had seen me and my reaction.

I went back later, with my boyfriend, to turn in the key. They apologized for the dog incident from ealier. Why, I wondered, did they not come after me right away?

Seems Coconut Cay is not interested in repeat business. Too bad - it's a good location in the heart of a wonderful town. Fortunately, there are a lot of other options and I recommend travelers fork out a few extra dollars and find a hotel that is clean with a management that takes pride in the services they offer.

• Stayed: December 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 13, 2005

We were booked in for 3 nights but only stayed 2. Basic doesn't cover it. There was rust along the bottom of the walls and fridge. The beds were the most uncomfortable we had slept in. No facilities for hanging clothes. Rusty air conditioning unit in window that rattled all night, and leaked. Bed linen and clothes felt damp. Requested plug for sink that was never supplied. If you want originality and dont mind staying in a hut then this is the place for you, pictures on website very misleading they must have been taken when newly refurbished (quite some time ago I think). Only saving grace was its friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2005
20  Thank MandS161
Reviewed June 22, 2005

My wife-to-be and I stayed in the King Suite on the marina side. The room was large, very clean and comfortable. The grounds were well maintained and the staff was very friendly. The atmosphere of the resort is very laid back, relaxing and calm. Yes, the airport is close by but has very little traffic. The sunset viewing at the private beach is awesome and you'll get to meet other guests for the nightly event. The rooms are reasonable (for the area) and are just as advertised. We loved it there so much that we want to get married at the beach on the marina side during one of those fantastic Keys sunsets. We'll be back for sure!

Stayed: April 2005
7  Thank GTRider
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed March 22, 2005

Wonderful place to stay. Despite the airport adjacent, it was generally quiet. The rooms are comfortable, clean, and nicely decorated. We stayed on the bay side of the complex. There are some rooms near Highway 1 along with the rooms down by the water. The fridge was very nice for 12 packs of soda and sandwich ingredients and an adult beverage or two.

It was a tad pricey but what the heck, it wasn't bad for what you got. Pool, beach (no swimming), nice sunset, palm trees, and the staff was extremely friendly.

If this is the way it used to be, I very much like the good old days.

• Stayed: March 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 21, 2005

Stayed at Coconut Cay last weekend for the seafood festival. The location could not have been better, literally across the street from the festival. Let me start with the pluses. Very reasonably priced, rooms had fridge, microwave and A/C. Front desk assigned us the wrong rooms, but immediately rectified the problem. Room was average size, normal size bathroom. The room seemed overall clean, tho my socks picked up some "color" and I put a towel on the floor of the shower when I used it. (Could have been residual, but who knows?) It tends to be a little noisy here with planes flying overhead, and early risers who make noise in the common areas. Would I stay here again? For seafood fest, yes. Otherwise, I'd probably look somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2005
8  Thank Xwordster
Reviewed March 13, 2005

For the money, the Coconut Cay was a great place to stay. The staff are warm and friendly, and the accommodations were clean and functional. There is a fair amount of noise due to the proximity of the airport, which didn't bother me (but I am a heavy sleeper). I would certainly consider staying here again the next time I'm in the Keys.

6  Thank phurballdj