“Terrible room”

Coconut Cay Resort & Marina
Ranked #10 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 13, 2005

We were booked in for 3 nights but only stayed 2. Basic doesn't cover it. There was rust along the bottom of the walls and fridge. The beds were the most uncomfortable we had slept in. No facilities for hanging clothes. Rusty air conditioning unit in window that rattled all night, and leaked. Bed linen and clothes felt damp. Requested plug for sink that was never supplied. If you want originality and dont mind staying in a hut then this is the place for you, pictures on website very misleading they must have been taken when newly refurbished (quite some time ago I think). Only saving grace was its friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2005
20  Thank MandS161

Reviewed June 22, 2005

My wife-to-be and I stayed in the King Suite on the marina side. The room was large, very clean and comfortable. The grounds were well maintained and the staff was very friendly. The atmosphere of the resort is very laid back, relaxing and calm. Yes, the airport is close by but has very little traffic. The sunset viewing at the private beach is awesome and you'll get to meet other guests for the nightly event. The rooms are reasonable (for the area) and are just as advertised. We loved it there so much that we want to get married at the beach on the marina side during one of those fantastic Keys sunsets. We'll be back for sure!

Stayed: April 2005
7  Thank GTRider
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed March 22, 2005

Wonderful place to stay. Despite the airport adjacent, it was generally quiet. The rooms are comfortable, clean, and nicely decorated. We stayed on the bay side of the complex. There are some rooms near Highway 1 along with the rooms down by the water. The fridge was very nice for 12 packs of soda and sandwich ingredients and an adult beverage or two.

It was a tad pricey but what the heck, it wasn't bad for what you got. Pool, beach (no swimming), nice sunset, palm trees, and the staff was extremely friendly.

If this is the way it used to be, I very much like the good old days.

• Stayed: March 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 21, 2005

Stayed at Coconut Cay last weekend for the seafood festival. The location could not have been better, literally across the street from the festival. Let me start with the pluses. Very reasonably priced, rooms had fridge, microwave and A/C. Front desk assigned us the wrong rooms, but immediately rectified the problem. Room was average size, normal size bathroom. The room seemed overall clean, tho my socks picked up some "color" and I put a towel on the floor of the shower when I used it. (Could have been residual, but who knows?) It tends to be a little noisy here with planes flying overhead, and early risers who make noise in the common areas. Would I stay here again? For seafood fest, yes. Otherwise, I'd probably look somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2005
8  Thank Xwordster
Reviewed March 13, 2005

For the money, the Coconut Cay was a great place to stay. The staff are warm and friendly, and the accommodations were clean and functional. There is a fair amount of noise due to the proximity of the airport, which didn't bother me (but I am a heavy sleeper). I would certainly consider staying here again the next time I'm in the Keys.

6  Thank phurballdj
Boston, MA
Reviewed February 26, 2005

One small missing description of the hotel is the presence of an airport runway immediately adjecent to it. We were unpleasantly surprised to find non-stop air traffic and, worse yet, helicopter training. The staff responded by noting that it was "kind of cool" to see landing aircraft so close under starry skies. I am sorry, but my fiance and I wanted to escape just such noise.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Orlando, Fl
Reviewed February 21, 2005

Great little spot in a fun little town. Friendly staff and clean, inexpensive rooms will get my vote again! The 2 pools were great for the kids and the wife and I enjoyed a few beautiful wintertime sunsets from the point. Didn't have our boat with us this time but I wont make that mistake again. Plenty of dockage and thanks to the other guests who brought theirs and kept us in fish during our stay.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member