“Great Stay”

Coconut Cay Resort & Marina
Ranked #11 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed 3 nights and cant wait to come back. Its no 5 star but if your looking for the laid back feel in the Keys then this is a great choice. Our room was spacious for the 2 of us and we used the free kayac. We laid out at the pool for awhile one day which was very clean also. The back deck was nice to watch fish and Iguana's. The owner took time to point out different fish and answer all our questions. There was a manatee one day but we did not see it. Everyone was helpful in letting us know where to go to eat and watch sunsets. Our bed was comfortable with plenty of toiletries. Only 2 complaints which is not really a big thing but the floor needed to be mopped better since my feet was black immediately but solution is to wear flip flops.. but the main thing is the squawking birds early in the morning and middle of the night at times. Being from the country we're use to roosters but these brought us straight up out of bed. I do believe they make good watch dogs but just not good for us on vacation planning to sleep in. We actually had 2 more nights reserved down the road a bit with higher price tag and star rating but we both preferred right here at the Coconut Cay! We now know which is our favorite spot. Thank you for a great time and cant wait to return.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Coconut Cay Resort & Marina

Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed 2 nights in March and only because they would not refund our prepaid reservation. Our room was a concrete bunker with cracked & dirty linoleum floors and a couch so dirty that no one would take it if you put on the street corner for free. Windows are either boarded up or heavily covered so lamps were essential and we had to request lightbulbs and an extra lamp to alleviate the doom. The kitchen was ill equipped, for example the silverware drawer had 3 undersized forks. All in all the most depressing room we have seen in years of frequent travel. One good thing is that the pool is quite nice. other than that I saw little evidence of pride in ownership.

Room Tip: Rooms along the canal appear to be in better condition.
Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank missread_13
Reviewed March 4, 2014

When we stayed here, the place was undergoing new ownership & renovations.
At first, it seemed like the place was run down & may not have the most desirable guest, however, it was the complete opposite!
It was very clean! We had 2 couples, so we got 2 rooms with a shared kitchen in between. This worked very well for us because we all love to cook and brought a majority of our meals with us. Plus, the a joining kitchen had doors on each side leading to our private rooms. We each had a sliding glass door that leads out to a little private deck/patio which leads to the dock and canal.
At the canal you have the wonderful advantage of seeing local birds & iguanas in action!
Then, you also have the lovely option to use the bicycles or paddle boat/canoes or even fishing poles all offered for free to those who are staying there.
The staff was very friendly & a tentative!
I had a great time & felt very exposed to what the keys are all about during my stay there & I felt safe. There is a D.A.V. {Disabled American Veteran's} club next door, you can be a member of any American Legion or V.F.W {Veterans of Foreign War} & use that card to gain entry to the club. There is also a cute little greasy spoon restaurant right across the street that offers a bag lunch deal, which I think is awesome for your day of play!

Room Tip: we had #69 and #70
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank nina b
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We stayed three nights in February, 2014. Coconut Cay Resort has a lot going for it. It offers free use of kayaks, both tandem and singles. It's a short paddle to the bayside. We heard there was a manatee in a nearby canal but we couldn't find it. The resort also has bicycles and one bicycle-built-for-two. There is a nice bike lane in Marathon but there's a lot of traffic right beside you on route 1. The unheated pool is open 24 hours. In February it was warm enough for us northerners. We had plenty of hot water, the beds were comfortable. The kitchen had a refrigerator, stove, microwave, and was stocked with the basics. The resort is about 3 miles from Sombrero Beach, said to be one of the nicest beaches in the Keys (nice amenities and plenty of shade). It took a little over an hour to reach Key West. Staff was helpful and friendly.

1  Thank UStravelingcouple
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in January. Since then I have been trying to get an item sent to me that I left there. It has been nothing but a horrible experience. I have called several times only to get the run around from every person at this hotel.
When I was finally able to speak to the manager, Steve DeRoache, he was the rudest of all of the people I have the misfortune of dealing with. His curt attitude was insulting, he did not assist me in any way at all.
I will never stay at this hotel or recommend it to anyone due to the nasty way that this establishment has chosen to conduct their customer service.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank 21anita
Reviewed February 26, 2014

This was the first time I have ever been on a recreational vacation and I was able to bring the family. We had a great time and never had to leave once we parked. It had a homie feel to the place, just what I like. The cabin was very big wasn't expecting so much space. No it wasn't a five star place but for the price, location, and amenities included couldn't have asked for more. The staff was very friendly. We plan on staying here again. We loved the 5 hour kayak trip we took, stopped at the 2 little islands and even jumped off the kayaks in the middle of the ocean to go snorkeling!!! Next time we are bringing the dogs :)

Room Tip: We had room 58. Plenty of room for 6. We had 4.
1  Thank DAmanda123
Reviewed February 23, 2014

If you are looking for a "Keys Hotel" this is the place. Not fancy, but very comfortable with dockage. My Pets are my kids, and they treated them like royalty. I highly recommend the place!! The staff and owners were very guest first approach. I have a background in the industry and it really showed how much the staff cared. Very friendly and always asked if we needed help. First Class Keys!!!

Room Tip: Remember it is the Keys!!