“50's charm, 50s service”

Coconut Cay Resort & Marina
Ranked #9 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 29, 2011

This is a old resort, probably from the 50s but it's well maintained with a fresh coat of Caribbean paint everywhere. We spent 8 days here; I would recommend a shorter stay just to get the feel of this place. The beds where a bit uncomfortable so after a couple of nights some people like me will get a sore back. They were a bit stingy with the towels giving us only two small towels for two people. When we asked for more, they replaced them the next day with only two towels. It appears they didn't replace the sheets during our entire stay. We stayed in one of the units on the canal, otherwise the non-canal units have no water view. I borrowed one of the "Free" kayaks and rowed out to the ocean. I was a little disappointed I had to surrender my drivers license to use the the kayak in spite of the fact they had my credit card on file. The pool was cold, They advertise free grills and fortunately there was a charcoal grill in front of our unit, I didn't see any other charcoal grills by the other units, They had a sign in the main office telling me I could rent a gas grill for $25 per day. I can buy a gas grill for less that $50.00 at the Kmart down the street. This resort is at the end of the Marathon Airport runway. Most days this didn't present a problem since this airport gets little traffic but there were a couple of nights we where woke up in response to a landing jet.
The staff was friendly and willing to accommodate our schedule when maintaining the room. There was lots of wildlife on the canal including an Egret eating it's catch at the top of a pole and several iguana. I really think this would be the perfect place for someone with a fishing boat since you can dock a boat right outside of your room when in the canal units.

1  Thank Fred H

Reviewed October 26, 2011

The best bargain in the Florida Keys, hands down. Its an older place but appears to have been very recently updated. That's actually what we found so charming about it. The place was right out of a Jimmy Buffett song and is what the keys were probably like when my grandparents and parents went! They even have two trained birds, a Macaw and a Cockatoo that talk and you can hold. Kids will love this place and we can't wait to take our nephews! Our room was on a canal and the place even let us use their kayaks to go out into the Gulf for free! Speaking of free they also let us use bikes and fishing equipment too which was really cool. I saw a Manatee, tons of fish, an Osprey Eagle, talking birds and had a great time dealing with SUPER FRIENDLY people for less than I'd spend at a crappy motel anywhere else in the keys. Definitely best deal for the money in the keys!

Room Tip: Get one on a canal!
1  Thank Ben B
Reviewed October 26, 2011

We stayed 2 nights at Coconut Cay on our way to Key West. We had a blast at this property and would suggest it to anyone looking for a reasonably priced place to stay that has a lot of personality. The room was clean and the staff was fantastic. Very friendly. So much to do! Free use of kayaks, fishing out the back of our room, bikes, pet birds to take pictures with and just all around fun. Good location. It was a fun place to stay. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Dock side room!
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We visited for 4 days and had a room with a dock behind us which made it great for coming and going with our boat. The room was nice and clean with the only negative some tiny roaches that came in from outside one morning but were taken care of. The staff from the owner on down were friendly and helpful. Having bikes to ride was a bonus. All in all what the Keys should be basically fun.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2011

My family of four and our dog spent 4 days at Coconut Cay and will be going back as much as possible. We always travel in the most affordable places and nothing comes close to what we got for our money here. friendly, welcoming staff and the most beautiful marina property. My daughter and I rode bikes to the store while my husband and son fished off the dock. My mornings with the birds, Cracker and Sugar, were addictive. I had my coffee with them and my daughter everyday.

Room Tip: A room with a sliding glass door has a great view of the courtyard
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 21, 2011

My husband surprised me with a mini vacation! We stayed at Coconut Cay and made the evening trip to Key West. Steve and his staff were wonderful in helping him set up the vacation. The rooms were inviting and the grounds are so relaxing. We will definitely go there again! Thanks so much for a great time! Kevin and Cathie

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We went down to Marathon to do some research and stayed at Coconut Cay Resort & Marina.

Their motto is something like "how it used to be" and that's true to course.

You instantly notice the bright colors of an old school Keys hotel. We had booked a waterfront / Dockside room and upon arriving (2pm) the very friendly front desk staff (Pam) was ready for us and our room was ready.

The resort is comprised of many buildings. Some seem to be larger villas, a clubhouse / pool, areas to walk around, a boat ramp, etc..

The room was very clean and spacious. Not a Ritz Carlton, not a place I would ever avoid. Picnic table out back overlooking the canal, perfect if we had had one of our boats with us.

The pool area was spotless, WiFi worked in the room and at the pool.

We walked to their Marina and another section of the resort on the beach and is was as clean, as lovely.

This resort / hotel / marina is NOT for someone from LA or NY who thinks that camping is a night without cable. You can’t compare Coconut Cay to the Waldorf. (Coconut Cay is more enjoyable!) This is OLD SCHOOL / FLORIDA KEYS. You will get a TRUE Florida Keys experience here.

Jim, Steve, Pam all of the people we encountered were GREAT. Friendly staff, clean grounds, clean rooms, etc.. Perfect Florida Keys getaway location.

1  Thank CaptainMHB