“Now known as "Takara Thai House & Sushi Restaurant"”

Takara Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #43 of 91 Restaurants in Marathon
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Every year or two this restaurant seems to take on a different personality with the most regular element being the fresh sushi. It was serving Japanese food the last time I was there, and are now back to a Thai menu with sushi, too.
The food was good all around this time. It's a small place, so it fills up fast during the standard dinner hours (6-8pm), but got seated promptly when arriving at 6:15pm on a Thursday night. We ordered Pad Thai, Chicken Curry Tikka Masala style, and another curry dish,Thai Scallops, Tom Ka soup, rice, Thai sweet and sour chicken, rainbow rolls, spicy tuna rolls, and spider rolls. The sushi was outstanding -- fresh, delicious, and perfectly sauced/seasoned. The Thai dishes were also enjoyable -- fresh, delicious, and portioned generously.
The atmosphere is the same as it always was -- a big screen TV was on the wall next to us with a game going, which was distracting for a dinner environment (maybe in a sports bar?), but it seems to be a clean place with ample parking. The service was friendly and reliable, and we were overall pleased with our dining experience.
In the Florida Keys, this is one of the restaurants that changes seasonally with the help. Consistency? Not so much year to year, but at least for December of 2012, the food was really quite good.

There are newer reviews for Takara Japanese Restaurant

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stopped there on our way back from Key west yearning for sushi and udon; the place is now a Thai/Japanese (aka, Asian mix) joint and we found no udon, but the variety, quality and service made up for it.
We tried their spider roll, gyoza, pad-tai and rice-noodle soup - everything was good. There was a mix-up in the kitchen and our dishes were delayed so the staff, without any angry nudging from us, sent another excellent roll our way as compensation - and topped that with a yummy donut desert (best delay ever :)).

The place was filled with locals on a Friday night and the service was very friendly under pressure.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

A small quaint family run business offering you the most carefully prepared sushi on the island. I have dined here for years and the care and quality of the food has always been excellent. Nothing is pre-made, there is no hurry here. This is the place for conversation and sipping sake as your meal is carefully crafted by the owner himself. Your reward for your patience is a meal of the highest quality that will have you coming back for more. I highly recommend Takara!!!

1  Thank kjgophish
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I'm a new resident fo Marathon and for the last few months have been going out to dinner twice a week trying every restaurant in town. This Friday evening, I had a craving for Sushi and decided to give Takara a try.

I reviewed the TripAdvisor posts, looked at the menu online via UrbanSpoon and really liked some of the creativity that the menu showed.

Driving by the location a few times a day, I've always smirked with a Sushi place located next door to a bait shop, but hey whatever works..

It was 7pm on a Friday night and I walked into Takara. The place is small and four or five tables were seated with people. I wanted takeout, so patiently waited for a waitress or hostess.. and waited.. and waited.. and waited........ and waited...........

Finally I had had enough, so walked up to the Sushi bar. The fish selection looked great so things were looking up.

I figured that I could at least get a menu and perhaps place an order.

Wishful thinking.

There was an older Asian man behind the sushi bar. As I patiently stood there, he did not even bother to acknowledge me. Finally, I caught his attention and asked for a menu and that I'd like to place an order.

The Sushi Chef was beyond gruff and indicated that they were almost out of rice and had other orders to make first. He then practically dismissed me and went back to work.

Friday night. 7pm. One of the three sushi locations in town is out of rice? Really?

I caught his attention again and asked for a menu. He responded with "no menus here" I'm assuming that the rude chef ment that there were no menus at the Sushi bar, but if this was (a) an owner, (b) a chef and (c) an employee of the establishment, you would think that he would at least assist to find me a menu.

I guess that's too much to ask for.

I read all the reviews about what a great family place this is. Perhaps I should have walked in with my family and then I would get better service?

Regardless, as new resident of Marathon, a business owner, an investor in the largest hotel property in town, I WILL NOT go back to this location and I will be telling all of my friends, family and hotel guests to AVOID this location.

As befuddling as it is, I can deal with a Sushi restaurant running out of rice on a Friday night. Just means that the chef is dumb and didn't plan properly. However I have zero tolerance for rude people in the service industry.

1  Thank CaptainMHB
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Takara is family owned, the daughter went to school with my son. The location is small and unassuming. They are honest hard working people who take pride in the quality of meal they prepare. My new husband had never been there, was uncertain about going, made him go and now he is an adamant fan. Sushi is one of his most favorite things to eat and he had no idea he could have this quality so close to home. We will be making it a regular stop. If you like sushi....this is the absolute BEST place for it in town.