Open today: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Recommended experiences in and around Marathon
from $89.99
from $155.88
from $158.99
from $29.99
3,171 results
All reviews nice beach public beach volleyball courts palm trees picnic tables white sand free beach pretty beach sandy beaches clean restrooms lots of parking nice facilities lot of seaweed sea grass park area nice park covered picnic
Selected filters
Reviewed April 21, 2019

Dare I say Sombrero Beach is better than Bahia Honda? Yes, I do dare say that, yet I don't recall ever seeing Sombrero listed on any "best beaches in the Keys" lists.

This beach is pretty large for the Keys, nice clean sand, calm waters, lots of facilities (although they are currently under construction), good parking, plenty of sandy area in the water to stand or wade in, and decent snorkeling.

Speaking of snorkeling, it can be hard to find good spots from the beach in the Keys. We tried Bahia Honda and the visibility was poor and only saw a few fish. At Sombrero, the visibility is similar (not very good), however there are rocky outcrops on both sides of the beach, which is where you want to snorkel. I could barely see anything on the left side rock area, but on the right I had a few feet of visibility and saw TONS of fish, way more than at Bahia Honda. I also saw a spotted ray for a moment.

Go here for great beach relaxation, and some snorkeling if you wish! I'm sure it gets crowded at times here, but we went earlier in the morning and it was almost empty.

Reviewed April 21, 2019 via mobile

Sombrero Beach must have got hit bad during Irma, but they have new dunes with dune grass, bathroom/changing facilities and the start of a new parking lot. It was crowded the Saturday before Easter and looks like it is coming back real strong. Play area for young kids and a lot of families enjoying themselves.

Reviewed April 20, 2019 via mobile

The beach is good for family with little kids. There’s shade, free parking ( parking wasn’t hard to find), little playground. Kids enjoyed it ... it’s pretty laid back. I love the cape and for me I love history and something more. It’s definitely great place for kids though!!!

Reviewed April 17, 2019

We visited this beach twice during our stay in the Keys. It is long with areas of pure sand and sun, a few covered pavilions to sit under, and facilities It's best to get there by 10:30 or 11 am and there is plenty of pull-in road-side parking. We brought our cooler with lunch, chairs, an umbrella and books. With our dog sitting with us on the beach under the shade of our umbrella all was right in the world. While we were there a good portion of the park area behind the beach was under construction. We will return.

Date of experience: March 2019
Reviewed April 15, 2019

The water was murky and you couldn't see the bottom it was also crowded but it certainly was beautiful.