“Loved this place!”

Ranked #10 of 91 Restaurants in Marathon
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Family owned and Operated Seafood/Meat market and Restaurant. We serve the freshest local seafood, burgers, sandwiches, salads and more. Daily Specials; Beer & Wine. Mon.-Fri. 10-6:30 & Sat. 10-4
Reviewed August 6, 2014

One day we were driving up and down the Keys to avoid the rain. Around lunchtime we were in the character-less strips of Marathon that have grown out of control and were not looking forward to eating at a chain. Luckily we found out about Fish Tales and pulled right in (just as we were about to pass it at the bridge). We got into the small space and every table was packed (say 10 tables and a small counter). The hostess gave us the menu and the specials list to look at while we waited. After about 5 minutes, it just didn't look like anything would move, so we went back to the car dejected. As we were buckling in, the hostess came out and said she had a table if we were interested...so we ran back in. She told us to trust her, tables move fast. Wedged into our little 2-top, we ordered conch fritters, lobster bisque, beer battered grouper, fried chicken sandwich, cole slaw, and rice and beans. The fritters, like other Keys locations, were big and bready (not tight like hush puppies) and had good sauce. The bisque was delicious--it appeared to be made from pureed lobster (versus chunks) and had more lobster as a result. My fried grouper was very good and served as two meals, as did the beans and rice. The chicken and cole slaw were gone in a snap, and although we were full, we got some home baked cookies from the counter to go. We had great service, lots of beverages, and got in and out of there pretty fast. A few days later driving back from Key West, we stopped in to get a hat, more cookies for the road, and get this--an order of cole slaw to go. According to my partner and side dish afficionado, the cole slaw is more of a Central European flavor (less mayo) and unbelievable. There were other Germanic/Czech hints on the menu as well. Lots of locals eating lunch before rushing back to work on both occasions. Be sure to note the hours!

2  Thank Laurie_B_VA
There are newer reviews for Fish Tales Market & Eatery

Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

Very tasty. Huge portions. Fresh. Reasonably Priced. A must go. Try the conch salad and the PO boys. Oh and do not miss the key line pie. Its homemade.

2  Thank david h
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Prices were low, food was Devine! Lots of mahi mahi, chowder was really good, and the dumpling dish was home cooked divine ness!

Reviewed July 29, 2014

My family stayed at Key Colony Beach for one week. Based on the tripadvisor review, we went to fish market/restaurant for dinner. We found lots of locale having dinner there. We ordered their 'catch of the day' Mahi sandwich and found it cooked perfectly, the best meal I had for the week compared to Key Fishery and Sparky.
You won't found sunset view at Key Fishery nor live music/happy hour at Sparky. If you are looking for great fresh seafood, I recommend this place.

4  Thank sylui_2000
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Our family went fishing on the Marathon Lady and took our catch right next door where they cooked it right up for us! AWESOME! It is one of the best seafood restaurants I have ever been to and I've been to my fair share. I'll take this place over a nicer, fancier restaurant any day!!! Every one of the employees in there are really friendly and attentive. All of our food was hot and really good and came our really quick. The zucchini fish wrap was really good and my son's loved their fish sandwiches! If you are headed down to the Keys, I hope you take some time to stop in and get some really great seafood! We most definitely will be going back!

2  Thank pierce96