New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Porky's Bayside Restaurant and Marina

Porky's Bayside Restaurant and Marina
Ranked #30 of 90 Restaurants in Marathon
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Roscoe, Illinois
“Great food and atmosphere!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Had lunch at Porky's recently while on a family vacation in the keys. The food was great and our server, Rachel, was friendly and attentive. My husband had the mahi mahi, which was fantastic. I had the North Carolina peppered pulled-pork basket. I thought this was some of the best pulled pork I have ever tasted. Tender and seasoned perfectly! Just spicy enough to let the flavor come through. Delicious!! Our daughters both had the island chicken breast sandwich. They loved it and the French fries. Also loved the atmosphere at Porky's. A unique keys experience!

• Visited July 2013

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great "dive" atmosphere with excellent BBQ!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Our family really enjoyed our experience dining at Porky's! The beer was cold, the pork BBQ sandwiches were tender and delicious (especially loved topping it with their slaw and garlic mustard BBQ sauce!), and the sweet potato fries were crisp and served with an excellent cinnamon butter. My husband got the ribs and ate every bite. Not sure about those reviews saying the food was mediocre, because we had a great experience! We also had the fried green beans appetizer and ate every bite! Best of all, was the "dive" atmosphere. I loved the relaxed and laid-back feel with live music and tables sitting next to the bay. I totally recommend this place to take a break from the seafood!

• Visited July 2013
Saint Augustine, Florida
“Not so good for the money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stopped by Porky's on the last day of our visit to Marathon this year. We sat on the bayside at a booth and ordered our meal. The service was fast but rushed, the waitress was overloaded. Our food came quickly and it was okay.

The Green Fried Tomatoes weren't great at all; they were a little doughy inside not to mention that they were served with canned salsa. GFT need ranch or bleu cheese as a side. We ordered baskets that came with toast, lettuce, tomato, onion, and a side. My toast was soggy from the juice of the meat. I ordered fries and they were pretty awesome so I give them a plus for that.

Overall, for the money we spent, it was not a good deal. Oh, and the other thing, the condiments on the table were squeeze bottles which did not have caps on them. So with the flies about I didn't feel good about using any of it.

I would not return.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Fernandina Beach, Florida
“Ok but wouldnt go back”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Food was ok (we went on Steak night), service was not so great but the flies were terrible. We almost couldn't eat our food the flies were so bad. My husband and I ordered the exact same steak but mine was thick and cooked correctly but my husbands was thin and overcooked.

Visited July 2013
PorkysBBQ, Owner at Porky's Bayside Restaurant and Marina, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thanks for dining at Porky's Bayside BBQ & Seafood. Apologies for the flies. We are an outdoor restaurant. Usually our fans keep these pests away. I spoke with our manager who usually works in the kitchen on steak nights and hand cuts all the rib eye steaks to order. By the way, most folks rave about our rib eyes, so we were disappointed to hear you didn't get what you ordered. The only explanation we can come up with is your server may have grabbed the smaller more well done steak by accident. Delivering it to your table instead of to the customer who ordered the smaller, more well done cut. We're sorry for the confusion. Our servers are very good about checking back with customers to make sure everything is to their liking. If you would have mentioned the problem at the time, we would have gladly replaced the steak with one of the appropriate size and doneness. We hope you'll give us another opportunity to shine on steak night.
Kearney, Nebraska
“Good Food and Laid Back Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Had some great barbecue at this restaurant. The food was great, the service efficient, and the atmosphere was definitely in keeping with the Keys way of life.

Visited June 2013