“Great local tip”

Keys Fisheries
Ranked #20 of 94 Restaurants in Marathon
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Home of the Lobster Reuben! Fresh local seafood and Tiki Raw Bar. Waterfront dining on the bay. Fish market featuring fresh local fish, Key West Pink Shrimp, Lobster, Stone Crabs, House made soups, Key lime pie. A favorite locals seafood restaurant and market. Also check out our charter boat row for great fishing with the best captains in the keys.
Reviewed November 16, 2013

After visiting Pigeon Key I asked the lady at the society's cash register where she would go for lunch - without hesitation she said Keys Fisheries. In a place like Marathon there are so many small places along the highway that w/o some help from a local it would be easy to go wrong, so I;m glad I asked. Men might not like to ask for directions, but when it comes to food that is a different story.

Keys Fisheries is the type of place that I think most people would call 'a find'. It is on the water, but part of a small working harbour. The short road off Highway 1 passes by a large number of piled lobster traps and ends at a dirt parking lot. Orders are placed at a window after reading the large menu posted on the wall. I decided to try the lobster reuben because it is apparently their signature thing and Alison stayed traditional with a fried grouper sandwich. As I approached the window to order the girl inside surprised me by saying - "Name a movie!". I blurted out the first thing that came into my head - "Jaws". Then it dawned on me that this is how they call out the order when it is ready. I'm glad I didn't say "Deep Throat".

The dining is all al fresco with picnic tables right on the water. While waiting for your order look for the fish food dispenser and buy a couple of handfuls. You might not see any fish, but within seconds of throwing in some food the water boils like it was full of piranhas. This is good entertainment for 25 cents a pop.

The food was very good to excellent. The grouper sandwich was done perfectly and the lobster reuben was better than I expected. It tasted more like a traditional reuben than a lobster roll. Amazing that you can get lobster meat to morph into pastrami.

The only downside is that smoking is allowed at all the tables, but we were able to find a table well away from some that had smokers at them.

So if your in Marathon for lunch and can't decide between all the choices take a tip from a local and go to Keys Fisheries.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,573)

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

On our twice yearly visits to the Keys, we always stop here and get our fill of stone crab claws..In season. Even tho they were out of the popular $2 claws special, the hot claw dinner was just as good a deal and came with two sides. Try the lobster reuben, because, well there's not many places you can get them! The key lime pie is yummy as well. One of our fave places to take folks new to the Keys.

Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

This place advertises the lobster Reuben, which I didn't have. They don't put any lobster in the lobster bisque, however--skip the soup. Grouper was pretty good, but covered with odd seasoning. This is a self-serve place, so if you want wait service, its not for you.

Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Casual, fun, fresh food. We had the Lobster Reuben (which is huge ) and Cajun fried Grouper sandwich.....both delicious and reasonable. Will definitely visit again !

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Late (by Keys standards) and needed something for dinner, called in and they told us time for pickup, were waiting for us with open door when we arrived. They helped us load into car so things wouldn't spill. The food was great, macadamia crusted mahi dinner was 3 meals worth, lobster bisque heavenly and hubby loved his fried lobster. Plan to go back when we can enjoy the views and will have to try the reuben as the person who told us about the place didn't mention that.