“What a family run business”

Seashell Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Marathon
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Well, I am not one to put pen to paper and write reviews but in this case I will make an exception. We arrived in Marathon on October 18th and stayed to the following Wednesday the 23rd. I had communicated with the Front desk Manager, Elvira through e-mails and she was fantastic. In each of the communications, she provided everything I asked for and was even able to change the room from a garden view to a balcony overlooking the water without any extra cost (since our booking on line was the same price). After reading a few reviews, I would like to pet the record straight. Maria, our housekeeper, was fantastic. The room was spotless. This is a beach front property so for them to be able to do this is 5 stars with me. The bathroom was small but functioning with shower/no tub. The room had a Microwave, Fridge, Oven/Range with sink. The TV was small but we were not down there for staying in the room so it was fine when we were winding down in the evening. The two piers/boardwalks (one with a thatch gazeboo was really nice first thing in the morning and right at sunset. There is not a pool or walking Beach but they are both within 10-15 minutes by car. There were hammocks, beach chairs, a grill, and another Gazeboo on the beach. Very close parking to your room was also a nice plus. I am from a Baseball coaches mentality when it comes to traveling. Clean Room, Fridge, Microwave, bathroom with shower, and peace and quiet. (sorry added the peace and quiet as a joke since I coach 16-19yr old American Legion players) If you want something at the end of the day, to relax in a comfortable room, or go out to a pier and enjoy a sunset, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Flirt with Elvira, the property manager who is not hard on the eyes. She welcomes the attention. A...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank rose4hall
There are newer reviews for Seashell Beach Resort

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Cute hotel right on the water. Convenient to Marathon and Key West!! Delightful owners, nice rooms, full refrig., kayaking!! Great value for the $$. Just sit right on the beach and enjoy the day!! Great eating just down the street or cook in your room. What more could you want??

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank annegilmer
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Arrived around 4pm for planned 2 nite stay, lured by photos of beach and sunset. These you get.,setting is beautiful.first floor room requested was not available. Young lady who checked us in said no other open. I walk with cane due to severe arthritis.struggled to get up dingy stairs.room was clean but dated. Cords of lamps unplugged and wrapped around bases. Plastic chairs like you can buy for $5 were the only seats. Buckets filled with cigarette butts at door and oncommon balcony. Wall mounted room ac struggled and room never cooled. Could notleave sliding door open due to common balcony and no screen. Beach again full of cig butts. Pier dock fully encrusted with bird poop. Managment conveniently unavailable as office closes at 6 pm.cancelled second nite after sweating thru the first.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank dridolf
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here. If you want a nice, quiet and relaxing vacation..this is the place to be.The staff was very friendly and willing to answer any questions you may have. I stayed in the beach house #1 and it was clean and roomy enough for 4 people. The views are outstanding!! This will become my vacation spot !!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sondra S
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We spent three nights at the Seashell Beach Resort. I was a bit concerned after reading the negative reviews, and yes, there is room for improvement. But overall we enjoyed our stay. We had an ocean front king room that was large and clean. The bed was very comfortable (much more comfortable than some of the chain hotels we have stayed in). The view from the balcony was beautiful and very relaxing.

As I mentioned, there is room for improvement. First off, the plastic table and chairs in the dining area should be replaced with regular indoor furniture. In addition, as others have mentioned, the outside steps could use a good power washing and iguana poop cleaned off the walkways.

Would we stay at the Seashell again? Absolutely, even with the plastic furniture and iguana poop!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank roxiecat
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I love this place. My home away from home. Stayed here many times despite of the negative review. You want a 5 star hotel? Go elsewhere. This hotel is fit more for older people who want to just relax. It doesn't have a pool or swimming beach but 15 mins away there is a public beach. I learned that you get what you pay for. You can request things, but if it's an option when you go and pay you're not going to get it. Like if you pay for a room with no view and request an oceanview guess what? Pay for it. You want to save money by not spending extra don't request it then get upset when you don't get it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AAEL157
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed at this "resort" for one night during our drive from Miami to Key West. When we booked it online, we trusted the pictures we saw on the establishment's website, and our initial thought was, looks like a nice place, good for one night and the price fit into our budget. When we arrived and checked in, we were surprised at the 10:00 am checkout, although the young lady in the office assured us that yes, we could check out by 11:00am without a further charge. We were given a room on the second floor, even though we had requested a ground-floor room when we booked the room because I have osteo-arthritis in my hip and I cannot climb stairs without great painful difficulty. We asked if we could change to a ground floor room and I explained my "disability" (my limp was also a dead give-away!), and the young lady said she could put us in a ground floor room for a higher fee. Not very accommodating; we only counted 4 other cars in the parking lot so it's not like they were completely booked and could not accommodate us. I then asked where the elevator was (knowing full well there was none) and she explained that the resort did not have one. My comment was something to the effect of not being very accommodating to those with disabilities as required by federal law, and she did not say anything at that point other than apologize.
So we kept the second floor room, and I managed to trek up the stairs to the surprises that awaited us. The room was quite small and the only furniture was the bed, a tiny fridge upon which sat a small 12" or 14" flatscreen TV, a worn wicker bedside table with a lamp that had its electrical cord wrapped around its base (later discovered that the electrical outlet was quite worn and anything plugged into it kept falling out), and a one-foot wide set of shelves that ran floor to ceiling. On one shelf were two large sized ceramic coffee cups, one grungy-looking spoon, and a coffee maker, but no coffee to brew! There was no bureau or anywhere to put luggage, so we had to put our luggage on the floor (ugh). The ceiling fan hung low and my husband kept bumping into it! The bathroom was equally tiny and had a low-sitting toilet, the toilet paper holder was equally low, the sink had hot water coming out of both hot and cold faucets, and the stall shower was barely large enough to turn around in, not to mention mold that was living in one corner of the shower. The office was open until 6:00pm, yet when we went to the office to request another pillow at about 15 minutes to 6:00 the office was closed up tighter than a drum. Luckily the assistant innkeeper happened to be walking by and was able to accommodate us.
The free coffee offered in the morning was sub-par at best, tasted watered-down.
The room seemed otherwise clean, but we were surprised by the otherwise spartan accommodations, and the difficulty I had getting up their outside stairs which were slick and moldy from dripping air conditioners from unoccupied rooms, and also no outside lights on the staircase. I know that if one wanted luxury stay at a chain resort, but...I guess this is an example of getting what you pay for. In this case, we overpaid. We should have run!!! We will not be staying here again!

Room Tip: Not accommodating to those with physical issues.
Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Christine P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Lime Tree Bay Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Seashell Beach Resort? Share your experiences!