“pricy but quality food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Barracuda Grill

Barracuda Grill
Ranked #2 of 90 Restaurants in Marathon
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The original definition of a restaurant used to be: owners cooking for their guests and extending the personal touch to their time at the joint, serving great food, wines, beers and having personal conversations, time allowing. That's why they come back! And that's what we attempt to do every evening that we serve dinner. Our great servers get to know you and handle the conversation when we are frankly too busy to leave the kitchen at times. After 22 years of service, I think we are going to make it!! Thank you to all that have graced our little spot over years, thanks a million!! Lance and Jan Hill, Chefs/Owners (and by the way, we love kids, have a few of our own, and provide a special menu just for them!) Please check Victoria Shearer's new book that just came out: Florida Keys & Key West Chef's Table, to grab a recipe or two :) Our menu is updated and printed daily. As a side note: we are not the least expensive restaurant in town, nor are we the most expensive. We provide an honest example of the expense to this site for your comparison. And the menu is hung just outside the front door. We do not automatically add a gratuity as routine. In this life I've found, you truly get what you pay for. At Barracuda Grill we respect that adage, respect your business and attempt to earn it every night we offer service (Wednesday thru Saturday). PS. We are in the twilight of our cooking careers and look forward to serving you very soon!
“pricy but quality food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I was slightly "put off" when I first entered the very casual, not upscale at all restaurant after looking at their menu prices. $37 for a mahi dinner was surprising. It turned out the food was delicious but the portions are HUGE. They could easily drop their prices to more reasonable rates if they cut their portions by 25%.
I ordered the pork shoulder which was delicious as was my husbands mahi. Neither of us could finish the meal however. Since this was our first time and we were unaware of the huge portions we ordered a fish spread as an appetizer to share. It was really good but there was no mention of it being spicy hot but it was hot enough to take away from the overall enjoyment for me. To serve it with pepper crackers only added to the heat. At the least, the spiciness should be mentioned in the menu.
Save your $ on the creme brulee. Even though we were full we decided to share one as this is one of our favorite desserts. The top was burned and the cream was very thick and not very flavorful. I was looking forward to a mixed drink but w/o a licquor license I settled for sharing a very nice wine with my husband.
The service was A+; the ladies worked as a team and were extremely efficient and very friendly.
I would go back but only order appetizers or dinner w/o an appetizer. The chef definitely knows his craft.

1 Thank DPC13

Newport News, Virginia
“5:55.......Pepper”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Small cinder block yellow building belies what's inside. Very clean contemporary look, white walls, white table cloths covered by white paper and crayons supplied. Lot of art work portraying Barracudas.

Very good spirited wait staff that all work together. Good size wine list, bit on pricey side but very nice choices of both red and white. We had the 08' Freemark Abbey was excellent.

Shared the smoked mahi spread appetizer. Was very good, as menu indicated enough for two and certainly was. The only issue is the hotness of black pepper increased as you ate it. The flat bread crackers served with , while excellent, we're covered w/sesame and More black pepper. Very nice mixed green salads next. They have 4-5 house made dressing. We had Caesar ,again on peppery side, and my mistake I had Parmesan peppercorn. I love pepper but the fish spread should indicate the heavy seasoning on menu or waitress should have made us aware. That said rather be over seasoned then bland and was far from bland.

Entrees were knockouts. My wife had a braised pork shank. The presentation was very appealing, pork extremely tender and flavorful. I had mahi, large thick perfectelly cooked. Nicely seasoned but not killing withnpeppervthis time. Both entrees had really good mixed vegetables with a nice portion of hand mashed potatoes, also Hot..! So often mashed come out luke warm so as you get into your entree they become cold, not the case here. My. Fish had very fresh mild salsa on you that was great with the fish and potatoes.

First trip here, will definetly return. The entrees while bit pricey, $ 36 for mahi and a prime strip steak is $ 55, are very large portions. Would do apps and soup next time or just entree with small salad that comes with it. Party next to us shared the nights tomato soup and even split in two bowls was a very generous portion.

Not sure when there season changes but in Jan they only are open weds thru sat and dinner only. Interestingly they open 5:55 PM. Nice touch. Highly recommend just ask staff about seasoning of dishes.

1 Thank M C
Silver Spring, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“HAD DINNER THERE 3 NIGHTS IN A ROW.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

We had dinner here three nights in a row! Have never done that before. We happened upon Barracuda Grill quite by accident. After driving by many cheesy, touristy-looking places, we saw it, shining like a beacon in the night. We wanted something special as we were celebrating my birthday and we were not disappointed!

The first night we shared the escargot and portabello appetizer. Served with delicious, crunchy on the outside---soft on the inside, golden rolls with chilled pearls of sweet butter, this dish was a show-stopper. The escargot were plentiful and cooked to a turn, as were the portabellos. The Marsala-Garlic-Cream sauce was incredible and unlike anything we had ever tasted. The sauce is a perfect pairing with the rolls, which by the way, are made fresh all evening long.

We both ordered the "BIG Juicy RibEye Steak (22 pure ounces, no bone!)"
for our entrees. It comes with a salad, which was tossed just before
serving. No traces of plastic wrap here. I chose the bleu cheese dressing
and my husband chose the garlic peppercorn. Both were amazing. Worth
every calorie.

We ordered a lovely Decero Malbec to complement our steaks, but it was
also great with the salads and appetizer.

Just when we thought it couldn't get any better, the pièce de résistance appeared. We both gasped when the enormous, perfectly cooked steaks were placed before us. Each plate was also graced with a lovely mountain of perfect mashed potatoes and a bright, crunchy medley of fresh vegetables.

Bottom line? Barracuda Grill is awesome. This is not an inexpensive restaurant, but neither is it over-priced. The quality is top-notch and the portions are enormous. This is a not chef who hides behind fat and salt. His sauces are light and fresh. You can taste the quality of the ingredients in every bite.

We were unable to finish our entrees, but were awfully happy to have them for lunch the next day. Even reheated, everything was delicious.

As for the dessert menu, we can only imagine how wonderful it is. Alas, we were too full to take another bite. But seriously, Bananas Foster? What's not to love? Next time, we plan to start with dessert. I'm not kidding.

On another note, the decor of this restaurant is clean and lovely. It has local flair, without the cheese. The art is gorgeous, the white curtains are magical and the cracked glass candle holders on each table are charming. I would buy them for my own table. Even the dinnerware and stemware are beautiful---elegant and simple.

The service was excellent in every way. We asked to pay our compliments to the chef and Chef Lance appeared from the kitchen. He was gracious, gregarious and made us feel very welcome. We had a wonderful experience at Barracuda Grill and knew we would be back soon...

Stay tuned for our second dining experience at Barracuda Grill, the very next night.

New York City, New York
“Fresh flavors”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

A table of 8 hungry NY'ers ordered everything from the spicy calamari, ahi tuna ,duck, fresh mahi to desserts galore. All of it was prepared to perfection. The service was outstanding. Wine selection was good. Bravo Barracuda!

Bristol, United Kingdom
“A great find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

We ended up here by accident having visited Keys Fisheries and not being able to work out what to do (blame the jet lag!). My husband rates it as his best meal out in Florida. The price was mid-range - not cheap, but the entree filled us up and came with a lovely salad served as a starter. We then both had a mixed grill with chargrilled chicken breast, pulled pork, fries and onion rings. It was great. The decor was funky, the staff were friendly and best of all at the end of the night you can photograph the sign that says "Barracuda grill - stop in for a bite".