“THE WORST EVER!!!!!!”

Casa Del Sol Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The best thing I can say is the room was just ok. The advertisement is totally false. The "beach" was covered in trash and sea grass. The smell was like a sewer. The only access to the water was through the horrible looking and smelling trash and grass. The staff acted as though it was not common to have this mess, but from other reviews I can see this is the norm. Please Please heed my warning and save yourself a major disappointment and major money and avoid this place at all cost!!!!! If I could give a lower rating it would be in the negatives! The furniture was broken down and in ratty shape, and the room smelled like bleach and mildew. STAY AWAY!!!!!!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Sara K

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed her for two days before we left after dealing with two nights of bed bugs. The towels provided were stained all different colors. The beach was full of seaweed and the pool horrible. The outside of the hotel was scary. The inside of the room had been redone and looked nice. When the management was told about the bed bugs and shown the numerous bites on my family they would not refund our money for the time we were there and the owners would not return our calls.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank CC B
Reviewed August 6, 2013

i rented the 4bd house for $400/night first of all there was NO A/C!! i dont know about you but when i rent i first look at the pictures shown in the renting website and this was a COMPLETE FALSE ADVERTISEMENT NOTHING AT ALL LIKE THE PICTURES IN THE WEB!!!!! secondly, no housekeeping no towels no service at all....im assuming that when you rent a beachouse you go mainly for the beach, ok thats the last thing i did cause the beach was extremely dirty and not taken care of properly.... HORRIBLE A COMPLETE NIGHTMARE!!! PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A NICE GET-A-WAY!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank STEPHANIE765
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The hotel staff was really helpful and the kids loved that they were getting coconuts for them, the room was really nice, "we had a 2 bedroom", and pretty clean, (I mean who's place is perfect unless you have a boat load of money) "which if that's the case stay somewhere else because your standards are too high" had great view of the pool, "beach", and was very quiet, loved the tiki hut, bbq grills were good, parking is easy, (also expect ants that's just part of the island and once again even in the diners there were ants everywhere they will not bite you or kill you just make sure you don't leave food sitting around put everything in the fridge) The beach is in need of work, but while there exploring the keys I noticed that everywhere we went the water was smelly (due to mangroves), has a lot of seaweed everywhere in the keys, and the beaches were not that great not like north Florida... I will be honest we will be back and stay there again we had no problems. But when going to the keys if you are looking for a "beach" they do not exist. If you are going to eat seafood, charter a boat or bring your own to fish, and take in the island life then the keys is the place to be. You have to check into the FISHTAIL RESORT which is within walking distance right next door, very easy to find there's only one road so how could you miss it. Also bring food or go to the closest store approx. 10-12 miles away and buy some food and use the full kitchen. Thank you Casa Del Sol.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 202 and had great views, but wasn't in the room much went to have a weekend fi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tanya D
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Me and my family stayed here for two nights and by the beautiful (REALLY FAKE THOUGH) photos they had online we were really excited to stay here! First off let me jut tell you that the photos that were put online by the owners are FAKE! Its the exact opposite of a gorgeous getaway resort, its a dump! It took me almost 30minutes with a GPS to find it because its hidden behind another hotel and when you do find it, the sign is just a cheap banner thats really small. When i went to park, it was horrible. I had trouble walking to the front desk which was a separate building, without a bunch of crabs trying to pinch me, even though it was pretty cool seeing hundreds of crabs i was still freaked out. As I went to check-in. When i went to check in, the person that was there was very rude and didnt care at all about his guests. I received the dented key to my door and suffered my way up on a old 100 degree small elevator. I finally arrived at my room and it looked updated, but really it was all broken and nasty. I went to look out my balcony and saw a bunch of seaweed on the so called beach with water that was 2 inches deep for miles out day and night. I was already really disappointed and was even more shocked as i didnt know that they had cockroaches visiting us in our room which was disgusting. They were in the drawers, under beds couches and tables, they were everywhere! The bed sheets were all stained and nasty and i just couldnt let my family sleep in them. I went to check out the dump beach and saw it was unusable to go in the brown water, while even sitting on the sand full of seaweed was horrible with literally millions of bugs jumping off the ground biting you and mosquitos and nats everywhere. I was really disappointed and was waiting for this vacation in hell to be over! I asked for more towels and they were unable to give me some! I traveled more south in key west and couldnt find my drivers license with me and had to go back to the hotel to get it. I found out that the man at the front desk had stolen it and i politely asked for it and they said they dont know what i was talking about. Although they had a copy of it i was very angry, specifically after they told me i had it when i asked if i had when i first checked in. I went back south driving for an hour and got a phone call saying that a lady forgot about it and gave it back to me. I went to relax in the pool and had trouble doing that because it was freezing cold. I wanted a refund but they wouldnt give me one! THIS IS ONE OF THE WORST SO CALLED RESORTS EVER!!!

P.S. if your unfortunate and stay here, i suggest washing the towels and bed sheets in the washer machine just to make sure its clean, and also bring disinfecting wipes for everything!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
9  Thank caseywilson445
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Two thumbs down. This will be my one and only lesson about actually reading reviews and not just going off of overall rating. Let's start from the top, shall we? First off, the big no no was the ants. We had sugar/ghost ants that showed up as quickly as we did. When I brought it to managements attention they copped an attitude and asked if I had food out. Of course we had food on the counter (the place included a kitchen) but nothing that wasn't sealed and no crumbs, etc. We went to dinner when they 'sent someone out'. Needless to say our guests never left, nor seemed discouraged by the treatment. Second major offense, they charge you a daily resort fee, but DON'T service the rooms daily. Our trash wasn't even changed until almost 5pm. When we asked the guy why our room wasn't serviced, he couldn't answer due to a language barrier, but managed to express that it wasn't every day. They claim in their own description they offer designer toiletries but I beg to differ. The "queen" beds were terrible, all springs and oddly small for being a queen. Lastly, our reservation stated "ocean front suite" but our room didn't even face the ocean. When this was brought up along with the ant problem I was given another snide remark and told that they couldn't move me anyway because they were booked. With that being said, you now have enough information to make an educated decision on Casa Del Sol. If I had done a little more research then I definitely wouldn't be regretting my choice of hotels now.

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Jennafer S
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in #203 a 3 bedroom condo at Casa Del Sol with a family of (2) adults (3) preteens 10-13 years & (2) teenagers 16 years old. Condo was roomy for our family it was nice every one has their own space. The staff greeted us upon check in and were very nice. The front office had a big selection of DVD movies to borrow which our kids enjoyed at night. Condo is in need of a good deep clean, and maintenance. Upon arrival the towel were very frayed and sheets were very thin with stains on them, this resort needs to invest in need linens. The beach was full of very smelly sea grass and was in need of up keep, the beach is asset and should be taken care of. Overall for the money I was expecting better then just ok, Casa Del Sol staff could turn this into a beautiful resort with some maintenance and up keep.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank WisconsinMom14
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
The Hammocks at Marathon
The Hammocks at Marathon
#6 of 17 in Marathon

Been to Casa Del Sol Beach Resort? Share your experiences!