“Beautifully appointed units”

Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Marathon
Dover, Delaware
“Beautifully appointed units”
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Very large, very clean unit with great water views from both balconies. Nice appliances. and fully equipped kitchen. Even had a washer and dryer in unit. Beautiful beachfront , and very large pool. Great value for such a spacious condominium style unit.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
CasaDelSolBeach, Manager at Casa Del Sol Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Hello, thanks for your review! We appreciate the kind words. We are very glad you had such a wonderful time and we look forward to seeing you again.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Shropshire
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We'd booked via Wanda for Bonefish and I was so upset that I went to Christian on the desk in tears. He finally negotiated with the owner that we could move into this condo for one night and a beach room for the second (we were told our money had been taken in full though this may not have been true). So there I was, the day after my wedding, haggling over the price of a two roomed apartment which was more than we needed, it was empty and unlikely to be let at this time of day.

There were two bedrooms, a sitting area, big kitchen with everything you'd need to stay for a week, bathroom and cloakroom. WE DIDN'T NEED ALL THIS BUT HAD TO PAY FOR IT IN ORDER TO ESCAPE BONEFISH ROOM

Christian was very helpful though and tried his best. He told us to relax and get up late but the maid knocked on the door at 8.45 am and said "You leave?"

Despite being further from the road, there was still a lot of traffic noise but it would be great for a family for a week.

Room Tip: Americans seem to haggle!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the review. First of all, I'd like to say that the Bonefish Resort is a separate property and a separate business, so a situation like this is not easy. At the Casa del Sol we offer a certain quality of suite- these are multiple-bedroom premium condo units, with full amenities such as a full kitchen with brand new appliances, a washer/dryer, jacuzzi bathtubs, and private balconies.
I apologize for our housekeeper's rudeness, that is of course not our standard practice, and I am happy to report that we have a whole new housekeeping staff who are extremely professional. Thanks for the kind words about our resort and hopefully your next visit to the Keys will be great.
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We had booked this property 2 nights for Memorial Weekend at a cost of almost $300 per night.. It was so horrible that we attempted to switch hotels immediately after arriving.
The "promised "parking beneath the unit was totally unavailable because it was filled with people's cars from other units as well as trailers with jet skis. The remaining parking lot was blocked by large trailers with boats on them. There was no parking restrictions here at all. The unit was also not very clean. My 2 year old granddaughter's feet were black after walking on the tile for just a few hours. Our feet were pretty dirty as well.
There was splattered vomit on the front of the washing machine in the laundry room next to the toilet in that bathroom that must have been left over from previous guests. Totally gross as well as unsanitary!!!
Our "ocean view" was from the back corner of the balcony that actually directly overlooked a garage and parked cars. We were unable to go out on our balcony anyway because the guests in the unit directly next to ours were smoking illegal substances on the screened in porch. We could smell the odor through the air ducts in our unit. This is definitely not what I call a "family" atmosphere.My children attempted to fish from beach/pier area but were unable to, due to the foul stench and the 2 inch thick sea weed that was everywhere.
My husband has worked in the resort/hotel business for 30 years and this was by far the worst example of false advertising we have ever seen. We ended up having to stay one night because there were no rooms available anywhere in the Keys up through Fort Lauderdale until Sunday. We left early the next morning and will be disputing the second night charge on our credit card.

Do not book any kind of stay here ever!!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank kpiasecki
Memorial Day weekend is an extremely busy time here in the Florida Keys. Every hotel from Key West to South Miami is sold out. With so many guests coming to enjoy the keys, a few snags are to be expected. However, if someone is engaging in illegal activily on our property we encourage our guests to report it, as we will not tolerate any illegal substances.
I'm very sorry if you felt your room was unclean, however I will stand by the quality of our housekeeping staff's work any day.

Travelers are raving about these Marathon hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2011

We stopped here to enjoy the delights of the Dolphin Research Centre just across the road. Really worth a visit. Our first impression of Casa del Sol was hopeful. The apartment was large with two bathrooms and two bedrooms big enough to accomodate 4 adults and 2 children. But that's where hopeful ends. We opened the balcony door and a really horrible smell hit us. Our next step was to have a meal. There wasn't enough crockery, cutlery, cups, glasses, or indeed chairs for all 6 of us to eat together. The beds were really uncomfortable too. When we went to reception to complain the guy on reception showed very little interest in our complaint. Also the previous day we'd seen a german couple trying to explain to another receptionist that their card hadn't received a refund onto it, so personally I'd steer well clear.

Room Tip: Stay away
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank LavenderLil1812
Thanks for your review. First of all, I'm sorry you didn't have the proper dishes in your room, we have plenty of extra dishes in storage and could easily have replenished your supply. Of course, that should have been done before you checked in, and I sincerely apologize.
Additionally, I'm sorry if the natural smell of the ocean upset you, but that's quite unavoidable in the Florida Keys. We work hard to keep our property at a high quality, so hopefully you'll enjoy your next stay even more.
Illinois
Reviewed April 13, 2011

After we left they tried to charge 244.00 on our credit card and the room was already paid for through Travelocity. Three months later, I am finally getting a refund. They tried to blame Travelocity which I don't believe, have worked with them many times. The place wasn't bad, but please don't do business with these cheats. I think that I wrote a good review of the place when I got back, but now I can't find it and I'm glad.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jlaws
Unfortunately we do sometimes run into problems like this. I'm very sorry for the trouble you went through, but I don't think its fair to call us cheats. Sometimes mistakes are made, and the bottom line is we were able to get everything worked out. Thank you for your review.
Naples,Fl
Reviewed February 20, 2011

We arrived early and found that our room was ready, what a great way to start the weekend! Check out the room and find out that we were put in a room that we did not pay for ( we payed for a 2 Bedroom King with 2 full bathrooms) We got ( 2 Bedroom w/ Double beds and 1 full bath and 1/2 bath) so I go back down to the front desk and Jerry (employee) tells me that they are booked and there is nothing that he can do since I booked through Expedia. And I watched all weekend and the place was not booked!

So we moved on anyways, we have no other choices and we decide to make the best of it. The property is in decent shape, they could use some improvements, but then it is on the beach! The beach is great, my daughter played in the sand, yes when the tide is out, it does not look that great, but so what ! It is nature and you can walk 500 yards out on the sand! The pool is not heated, but it felt good after being in the warm sun all day!

The inside of #201 does need some help, the shades on the lamps are broke, and the beds only doubles are not the greatest, but it does the trick. It is was nice to have a full kitchen and the views from the screened in lanai were breath-taking!

Overall:

I would return if I cannot find anything better and for the price they charge, I know I will find better. Jerry, there front desk employee has zero people and customer service skills! I just think what they charge and the condition of the place is a little much, but otherwise a decent place.

Eat at Sparky's Place in Key Colony and Sunsets, both very good!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
I'm sorry your suite wasn't as you expected, but it sounds like a positive attitude made your stay worthwhile. We are constantly working to improve our suites, and replacing lampshades and window shades are a part of this ongoing process. Thanks for the kind words.
Toronto Ontario
Reviewed February 20, 2011

We booked a 2 week stay at the Casa Del Sol and had to prepay the entire two weeks upon arrrival in Feb. 2010. We were forced to vacate after 9 days due to illness and received a credit note for the remaining 5 days should we come back prior to April 30th of 2011. For the better part of the last 30 days I have been given excuse after excuse by Marly the manager and was finally told that the management or owners (who I never talked to) of the site would not honor the balance of the credit note, roughly $550. At no time was a compromise even extended by management. Stay away!!
Ron Waksdale
Canada

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Doak
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Seashell Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Lime Tree Bay Resort

Been to Casa Del Sol Beach Resort? Share your experiences!