“Great place to see a sunset”

Blackfin Resort and Marina
Ranked #6 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 28, 2011

Not sure why all the hate about this place.

Clean, well maintained rooms, helpful staff, and a great view for a sunset/sunrise. Location is right in the middle of the Keys. Bathroom could use an update.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NPTourist

Reviewed March 10, 2011

I found myself having to find a room less than two days prior to my arrival in Marathon due to unfortunate circumstances. Since I am employed by a law enforcemet agency, I contacted local law enforcement seeking a recommendation and was lucky enough to have a conversation with Rose who suggested the Blackfin after I told her I was looking for a room that was clean, comfortable, and affordable. Well, it was all of that and more. Yes, it is an older establishment and what I would call a beachy decor, but it is clean, the rooms are comfortable and generous in size, and the price was definately right. My first night I meandered to the back of the Blackfin where the boat residents live and couldn't believe the stunning view. I met Rose and had "sunset cocktails" with her and some of her friends.....very enjoyable.....so enjoyable that I wound up meandering back every night to enjoy the sunset and always found myself engaged in conversation with whomever I met.....everyone was so friendly.....I even got invited to the Friday night fish fry.

All of the staff at the Blackfin from the front office to housekeeping were genuinely concerned about my comfort and welfare. Karen, who works at the front desk, was always there with a warm greeting and welcoming smile whenever I walked into the office with one of my requests.....from coffee to sweetener to plastic utensils. I must say the coffee from her private stash was definately above and beyond my expectations.....great customer service Karen!

The Hurricane right next door to the Blackfin office is a favorite of the locals and has specials every night like "Taco Tuesday" where Tacos are only a buck. The food was great, the drinks were stiff, and "Open Mike Night" was a great opportunity to see and hear the locals shine....very entertaining and lots of fun. Mia, the resident bartender, is as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside and is probably the best bartender in Marathon......knew my drink the 2nd night I walked in (it's a busy bar) and the Peanut Butter Pie was delicious.....thanks Mia for everything.

Lastly, Marathon, Florida is a small community where everybody pretty much knows everybody. The intent of my visit was to see an old friend, who unfortunatley passed away prior to my arrival. I decided to go anyway and "walk in his shoes" to meet his friends and learn about the community that he loved so much. All of his friends and all of the people who knew him were so wonderful to me. I truly enjoyed all of the stories with the "one o'clock lunch bunch. They welcomed me with open arms and made me feel like a part of their community. I will never regret my decision to venture down that path alone.....it was a life experience and one not to be soon forgotten.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Ninabean0809
Reviewed January 23, 2011

We were quite comfortable in the 2 bed apartment with heated pool, seaside rec area & plenty of fishing boat choices in immediate area as well as excellent seafood restaurants. Caught & fileted over 20lbs of mackeral & snapper. Five years now we've hit the Keys in the winter & the Blackfin is still our first choice.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank USCGR
Reviewed January 23, 2011

I have stayed at the Blackfin on two separate vacations, one a family reunion, and one a group fishing trip. Both have been very different, and both great experiences. It is kid friendly, but also great for adults. The rooms are nice and clean, the grounds are very well kept, and the staff is very helpful. My family and I will definetly be back.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank jkbr
Reviewed January 12, 2011

We stayed at Black Finn in 2009 quite by accident. We were so pleased that we came back this year. It is dog friendly, which is important to us and very clean. The first night we were there we experienced plumbing problems and they moved us into a two bedroom apartment which was a wonderful upgrade for no extra money and we stayed there for 8 nights. Every one is friendly and hospitable. We grilled out on New Year's eve with some other people staying there. The Hurricane is fun we ate there several time, especially on Sunday when they have football. We love our stay and hopefully can go back again next year.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank dsk3858
Reviewed December 30, 2010

My husband and I stopped at the Blackfin.When we saw what the place looked like on the outside we wanted to cancel but you need to cancel 7days in advance. The first thing we noticed in the room was this odor, either a strong chemical cleaner or fabric softener. The bedsheet was very thin with worn spots and a stain and dead black ants. Dead ants were also on the floor. It was a chilly night so I went to get a blanket on the shelf next to the bathroom sink. The blanket had a large hole in it. The coffee maker would only turn off by unplugging and the outlet was loose. There was no tissue box. The refrigerator was rusty. There was no hot water. When we went to check out, at 7am, the office was not open as we wanted to complain about the room. The worst motel experience ever here. I don't know who has been writing the positive reviews. Although they advertise wi fi, once in the room, the information says it is not guaranteed in every room.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank StarVoyage
Reviewed December 6, 2010

This Hotel has a beach. It is small but a peaceful place. The Pool is big enough. The staffs were great. We want go back again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family