“If you don't go with Capt Kevin, then you're a moron.”

Florida Keys Reel Adventures
Ranked #9 of 80 Tours in Marathon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: I am Capt. Kevin Johnsen owner/operator of FKRA. I am a 30 plus year Middle Keys resident and have a great understanding of the desires and needs of my customers. My business caters to nearly everybody by building custom trips for all interests and skill levels. My goal is to provide a rewarding and successful day on the water and to ensure priceless memories within a safe and comfortable environment. I build lasting relationships and earn repeat customers with my unique style and easy going personality. The ocean is the reason we live here and I offer you affordable access to our waters from my custom 25' center console catamaran. My boat is a stable platform that outperforms all boats in its class, providing a quiet superior ride with the twin hull design and custom set up. I specialize in family fishing, reef fishing, deep wreck fishing, offshore trolling, lobstering, ,snorkeling and spearfishing. Additionally, I offer many other types of fishing and specialty trips, so please visit my website for more detailed information. See exactly what my customers are doing on their vacations. I hope to see you on the water soon and be the captain of your next ocean adventure!!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Miami, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“If you don't go with Capt Kevin, then you're a moron.”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Capt Kevin is the best, through and through. Amazing trip, awesome boat. We wanted a loot of fish to bring home and eat for the next couple weeks, and he more than delivered! If you want a real captain with real expertise who is also incredibly cool, then Kevin is your man. The price was great and he even helped us filet our 23 Hogfish and prep our 13 Lobster tails. The guy goes above and beyond. It was my first time going out with him and my first time spearfishing, but you can be sure I will be back again and again and again. If you read this Kevin, thanks again! -Greg and Isabel

1 Thank Gregory H

Odessa, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A REEL ADVENTURE!!!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The name says it all!!!! I had the pleasure of chartering with Kevin last week on our annual keys trip for a spearfishing adventure. We have been going to the keys now for the past 12 years and this year was by far a REEL ADVENTURE. I have dragged my own boat down and even rented a boat to experience what the Keys has to offer and have never had such a nice day spearfishing. While we like to think we know the waters pretty well, there is no comparison to the knowledge Capt. Kevin has to offer. He takes the time to explain each location and what you will see and where on the reef or structure to head for different species. He gives excellent coaching on how to find your target fish, how to approach your target and how to set your shots for a perfect kill. We did not have nice weather but you would of never known it by the amount of fish I have in my freezer. We are going to make this part of our annual tradition. Thanks Kevin!

Tampa, Florida
“Two words... The Best!”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I was in Marathon for my brothers bachelor and booked Capt Kevin for two spearfishing trips. I must say this was the best experience i've ever had with a captain. The first trip there was three of us on his 25ft catamaran. (Which I now call the baddest fishing machine on the water!) Kevin was very knowledgeable when it came to describing the different fish we would be hunting on each reef and where we could locate them. Unfortunately our second trip was cancled due to bad weather, Kevin tried all he could do to rescecudle us but we just didn't have enough time left on our vacation. I recommend that anybody who is travling to the Florida Keys to call and book a trip! You'll not be dissappointed!!

Naples, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Look No Further....this is you guy in the Florida Keys”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I wanted to take my 2 children (8 & 10) to the Keys for snorkeling and lobster. I found Captain Kevin by a recommendation of a friend that had went fishing with him and said he "over delivered". From the moment he greeted us at the marina I felt like we were going out with an old buddy instead of a hired guide. His boat was pristine, he had all the necessary gear for our trip and was very patient with my children. He kept them involved and engaged the entire time, speaking to them directly and treating them with respect.

When it comes to finding lobster it all comes down to locating the rocks and crevasse where they hide (fishing too). It takes years to locate these hot spots and collect the GPS concordances. Over 30 years Capt Kevin has plotted these locations and is able to put you right on them! The first place we approached he had my son toss the buoy at the right moment to mark our spot. After a briefing on technique and the rules of lobstering he sent me down first, guiding me to the spot to scout it out. I swam down about 8ft to find at least 25 - 30 lobsters hiding under the rock ledges! We began free diving down and tickling the lobster out from under the rocks with one hand and netting them with the other. It was a little to deep for my daughter to dive so she swam above us holding the net bag as we brought them up to her to measure. She told everyone that she had the most important job of all. We ended up getting about 15 lobsters total! Most of the restaurants will cook them for you but we stopped at a store and picked up supplies. Butter & Old Bay is all you need....drop them in boiling water for 7 min exactly. We had a lobster feast back at our hotel and jumped in the pool.

We had an amazing vacation together thanks to Capt Kevin. He truly is a steward of the Florida Keys...after watching him pick up floating trash and assisting another boater my son later proclaimed " Captain Kevin's was like the Mayor of the sea!" Do yourself a favor and call him up when you visit the Keys. He's a down to earth guy, he knows the area like the back of his hand and he produces excitement. In my opinion that's what you want in a guide...otherwise you're just paying for a boat ride

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Tod-TourTheGlades
Orange Park, Florida
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“It was a good trip.”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Captain Kevin will work really hard to get you to the fish. The only reason I didn't give him 5 stars is because some of the people in my group thought he was talking down to them in and may have used some unwanted sarcasm.