“the place to go for a martini in Marathon”
Review of Plaza Grill

Plaza Grill
Ranked #42 of 91 Restaurants in Marathon
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Plaza Grill - The Marathon restaurant where Special doesn't need an Occasion. Located in the heart of Marathon at MM 50 Oceanside; Plaza Grill offers an upscale atmosphere with a local island vibe. Cozy and Classy is the only way to describe the Plaza Grill. Start your experience at our Intimate Martini and Wine Bar. Or join us for dinner with Entrees starting at $19. The menu offers something for everyone; from our light and flavorful salads and appetizers, to Fresh Local Seafood, "Prime" Cut Signature Steaks and Chops that will make your mouth water, to simple Classic Pasta Specialties and finishing the night with one of our Dazzling Desserts. Stop in and make our table your table for dinner.
Reviewed December 24, 2012

They have 20 martinis or more.We had a couple and some brie. It was Christmas eve and no reservation until 9:00 at the earliest...so had some drinks instead

AliciaPlazaGrill, Manager at Plaza Grill, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2015

Thank you for your review of Plaza Grill. Glad to read you enjoyed one of wonderful martinis. Hope to see you again in the future at the Plaza Grill.

There are newer reviews for Plaza Grill

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Never would have expected to find a big city steakhouse in the middle of the FL Keys! Cool room and full out steak selection that are all properly accompanied with well paired sauces. Our party tried nearly all the steaks with rave results! Tomahawk Ribeye was huge and off the charts! Great wine list too. Don’t miss this place – eat here when you are Tiki-Bar-ed out and need to check back into reality for a few hours!

Thank you for your recent review of Plaza Grill. Thank you for sharing your memorable dining experience. Atmosphere, service and food quality is what we pride ourself with to make each customer have a memorable dining experience that separates us from any other night out on the town. Hope you will consider dining at the Plaza Grill in the future.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Not your typical "Keys" resaurant, more in the line of finer upscale urban eatery. Service was great. Bar treats, ie. specialty Cucumber martini, and Lemoncello martini fabulous. Super appetizer selections, and the Pittsburgh char on my bone-in ribeye with mushroom demi glaze was the bomb! Desert was off the chart, we had both the Chocolate mousse and Bananas foster....lick the plate licious!

Kudos to Chef Tony and the rest of the crew!

Thank you for your review of Plaza Grill. It was a pleasure to read about your dining experience. Hope to see you in the future at the Plaza Grill.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Just go... UNREAL.. wONDERFULL also Owner is nice.. Bought us a 75.00 dollar bottel of wine... Could not believe it.. It was my birthday.

Thank you for your review of Plaza Grill. It was a delight to read of your memorable dining experience. Hope to see you again in the future at the Plaza Grill.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I'm not sure where to start. Most importantly it is essential that I tell everyone that the staff was delightful and were doing the very best with what they had.

So here we go. First, there was no manager working on Monday 10/8/12, and if there was they were hiding in the back. I'm always wary of a place with no management, expectations and training tend to get overlooked.

As you walk in the front door you are basically standing at the end of the bar, we were greeted by a lovely lady named Amy, who was the bartender, and we choose to dine at the bar. After a quick look at the menu we order some starters, wedge salad for me and baked brie for my wife. The items arrived in a reasonable amount of time. Here is where the training comes in to play, the baked brie was barely warm, certainly not hot, and the toast rounds it was served with were very think and very hard. I never like to assume a restaurant is using leftovers but I would guess this was last nights bread rubbed with some herbed oil and baked. The wedge salad was pretty good, but the blue cheese dressing was more like a paste, way too thick and actually difficult to dress the salad with. We both had a glass of Sonoma Cutrer Chardonnay with our first course, it was served freezing cold, again I believe this to be a training issue as Chardonnay is best served at 50-55 degrees.

I asked our server if the steaks were USDA Prime, she replied "Yes!" so I ordered a 14oz NY Strip and my wife got the Filet, both Medium Rare, we also ordered truffle mac and cheese and onion rings. For our wine I selected a bottle of Stags Leap Artemis. The wine wasn't stored in the visible wine cabinet, but instead was retrieved from a storage area out of sight. It was served at 75-80 degrees(should be 60-63 degrees), a huge error for a place charging $35-$40 per entree and calling themselves a fine dining experience. Again the food arrived in a reasonable amount of time. My NY Strip was overcooked slightly, I ordered Medium Rare and it was Medium. That's the good news, the bad news it tasted like some sort of chemical, and did not even resemble USDA Prime, if you've had Prime Beef you know and can identify the difference. The garlic mashed potatoes was quite nice, creamy and had great flavor. My wife's Filet didn't taste like the chemical I experienced but again it wasn't great. Truffle Mac N Cheese was well flavored but undercooked. I believe the chef is using a broiler / salamander to prepare dished such as the brie and mac and is worried about burning the dish. Either way some training is necessary here, mac was ok but not hot.

My wife and I found ourselves saying "they're so close" multiple times that evening. They need leadership and training to make this place work. Wines should be stored at proper temperatures if you are charging a premium for them, the staff should know if your meats are USDA Prime or not, (and the should be) and a manager should be in house all the time, this isn't a fast casual dining experience and shouldn't be run like one. My analysis is the owner is financially stable and doesn't need this place to make money, it's a hobby not a livelihood.

We may return one day, but it won't be really soon. I'll need a compelling reason to give it another chance. Again the staff was delightful, some training on some finer details would help tremendously.

1  Thank dwalker297