Review Highlights
Dinner and a Show with TJ

It was my 1st time salt water fishing and I had no idea what fun I was about to have. I began with... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Daniel H
Awesome Family Fishing!

Reviewed October 4, 2018
Carrie M
via mobile

All reviews captain tj mangrove snapper fishing trip yellowtail recommended lazy days catch fish mutton snapper the yellow tail fish cooked day trip family fishing clean boat knew exactly where awesome experience techniques bait keys
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I began with morning fishing in the Gulf with the overall objective being to catch snappers. We proceeded to catch a variety of fish mainly Mangrove Sanpper. We had a blast during the time it took to catch our daily limit... we left our Dinner. We proceeded to travel a few miles away to a spot where we would finish up our trip that afternoon. In a matter of roughly 2 hours the 3 of us caught 10 huge lemon sharks! A few of them were pushing 150lbs each... we had our Show.

TJ pays extra special attention to cleanliness and protection of the environment. Every fish was handled with great care. I was impressed with the overall professionalism of my experience with TJ and Island Lure. I'll be back!

Reviewed October 4, 2018 via mobile

Captain TJ is amazing. This was our second trip with him and he was just as good the second time around. Our first trip was shark fishing and this trip was wreck and reef fishing. We caught a bunch of snappers and a black Grouper. He was patient with myself and my 13 year old. He knew exactly where to go and within minutes we had our first bite. Then when the fishing was done he did a fantastic job of cleaning and filleting the fish. Then he told us where to go to have it cooked and how to order it. It was the best fish I have EVER eaten!! I would highly recommend him!

Reviewed October 1, 2018

Once again TJ put us on the fish, we had 2 successful days fishing with Island Lure. There are several charter services in the keys, some good and some not so good. I have been fishing with TJ for several years now and have never had a bad trip. He knows how and where to catch the fish and the best part about fishing with him is he knows how to make it fun for you. He is just an easy guy to get along with. One other thing I have to mention is how well taken care of his equipment is. His boat is spotless clean and his tackle and gear are top notch. There is no reason to fish with anyone else when visiting Marathon. By the way I already booked 2 more trips for May.

Reviewed August 23, 2018 via mobile

It was an excellent trip with Captain TJ. He was very helpful and we catched many fish so it was a great experience!

Reviewed August 19, 2018

Wanted to take my son on a last minute trip before his senior year in HS. Captain TJ was awesome. Conditions were not promising, and Captain TJ even asked if we wished to back out due to weather. We got on the hook for a four hour trip and wind and current were going in different directions. Regardless, TJ had fish in the chum within minutes! We limited out on snapper by the end of our trip. Great trip with a great Captain. We'll be back for sure.

Reviewed August 18, 2018

Our first ever fishing experience so did research on tripadvisor. Sent a few emails out and only Captain TJ responded promptly. He was really helpful in planning the excursion before we arrived. We made contact by phone he day before our fishing trip and met up at the dock at 7.30. The dock is about a 2 minute drive from the Holiday Inn where we were staying, head south and as soon as you cross the bridge take a left and park in the gravel parking lot. Captain TJ was waiting for us on the dock. There is a store ( Captain Hook@s) at the dock where you can by drinks and provisions.t
We travelled for a about 45 minutes before anchoring. There were already a few boats in the area.
We were are a party of 5 and had never fished. Captain TJ was really helpful teaching us what to do as we fished in pairs from the rear of the boat. You are allowed 5 fish per person and we very quickly had 14 fish which is what we wanted to keep for lunch. We threw back the smaller fish.
Captain TJ was very patient with us and there is a large ice box which you can put your drinks in. He had brought some water bottles for us.
There isn't any shelter on the boat except for the canopy of the captain's chair so make sure you wear hats or bring an umbrella and lots of sun block.
We got back at around midday.
When we got back to the dock, he cleaned and filleted the fish for us. He recommended Lazy Days restaurant to have the fish cooked @ $16 / fish with one side, but most places will do this for you. The restaurant behind the Holiday Inn - Sparky's Landing - will do this @$14 / fish with one side.
In all a great experience and given we had never fished Captain TJ was an excellent guide and host, he was patient with us and we caught lots of fish. Would definitely recommend him for a fishing excursion.

Reviewed August 15, 2018 via mobile

Our family has come to the Keys several times with our kids and we decided to hire a fishing guide since we really don’t know that much about fishing. Read the reviews and decided to hire Cpt. TJ for the morning. We were not disappointed. Despite a slightly late start due to weather, we got out to the “spot” first and immediately started pulling in yellow and mangrove snappers. Cpt. TJ knew exactly where to go and what to do to guarantee success. More importantly he had patience with a bunch of amateurs. Once we had gotten our fill of snapper (we kept 17) we moved on to another spot and caught 2 nurse sharks. That was way cool. Those we let go but my son has a story to tell his friends back home. If you are in town and want to go with the best, give Cpt. TJ a call and he will not let you down.

Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I took our kids ages 14, 14 and 8 fishing with Island Lure. TJ was an excellent and patient captain. Put us on lots of fish (yellow tail, rainbow runners, mutton snapper and even a barracuda that we landed for defensive measures). TJ was great with the kids and I highly recommend him and would use him again.

Reviewed July 29, 2018

I think this young angler has fished with TJ since he was 5 years old. Nice catch of yellowtail and one mutton snapper. As always a very professional day on the water.

Reviewed July 19, 2018 via mobile

Took my 16 year old daughter out on a 1/2 day trip while visiting Marathon. TJ was very attentive and took the time to show us how to do everything. The 4 hour trip was over before we knew it since we stayed on the fish the entire time. Great day and highly recommend.