“Good value, good location”

The Hammocks at Marathon
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Marathon
“Good value, good location”
Reviewed June 19, 2011

This place is right in the middle of Marathon, right on route 1 and has a dock and bar right on the ocean.

Negatives:
Internet is through AT&T and costs seven dollars per 24 hours. (paid and did not work in the evening but was refunded)
Not all rooms have views of the ocean.
Charged us for 3 nights when we only stayed for 2 and had to follow up with them later in the day to get it corrected.

Positives:
We stayed in one of the 2 bedroom suites and our parents were very impressed and happy with the rooms.
Rooms very clean, beds VERY comfortable.
They helped us arrange $25 per person snorkel trips.
Breakfast is not included but they do give decent coffee for free.

• Stayed June 2011

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Polish first
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed June 11, 2011

I stayed at the Hammocks at Marathon for 3 nights. Wonderful location, friendly staff, and clean, comfortable rooms. And the hammocks along the water are absolutely divine!!!

Just make sure you look over your hotel reciept and credit card statement carefully at the end of your stay. When I questioned a charge to my room, front desk staff brought out 2 Tiki Bar receipts that weren't even under my name, claiming they were mine. They did return those charges to my credit card, ultimately. But it took 25 minutes to solve at the front desk, meanwhile I was trying to get on the road for a flight.

Upon returning home, I found another unknown charge to my credit card. When I called, the manager did recognize the error and said the charge was for someone else and had been mistakingly put on my account. She told me that the amount will be refunded.

All in all, a good stay, but I'd say their record keeping isn't the best. I'd avoid putting any charges to your room. And go over your bill with a fine toothed comb.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank LD42006
Birmingham, Al
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We stayed at the Hammocks for a week in May in a studio room after staying the weekend in Miami Beach at the BlueGreen Solara property. I had read the reviews in advance on Trip Advisor, and knew what to expect, but was still sad when I got there. The Solara in Miami was much nicer than the Hammocks. Our room at the Hammocks was on the 3rd floor an had a "sort of" view of the bay, mostly it was the parking lot. There were 2 queen beds, 1 upholstered chair, a small table with 2 hard chairs, a flat screen TV, a wardrobe, and a small fridge. There was a microwave and a toaster, and a little basket with a few dishes and silverware, but there was a lack of sufficient counter space in the room to be able to do anything like fixing a bagel.

Pros: The pros are definitely Marathon itself. The location in the middle Keys is good, and it was very convenient to the dive shop we used - a shout out to Captain Hook's! The diving and snorkeling in Marathon are really good. It was also only an hours drive further to Key West, or back to Key Largo. The restaurants in Marathon were much better than I expected, and the seafood was always wonderful. Publix supermarket is very close by, so we stocked up on breakfast and snacks. The staff at the Hammocks was nice, but no one was particularly outstanding.

Cons: The beds were not especially comfortable, and I tossed and turned every night - guess I'm spoiled by my Tempurpedic bed at home. There was a lack of electrical outlets as is common in older properties, so we were constantly having to plug/unplug all our devices that needed charging, plus they charge a daily fee for internet, which to me is an abomination in the hotel industry. The pool was just okay and was pretty small. The music at the pool was too loud at times, and the pool chairs were uncomfortable and folded up on you when you shifted position. Also, at the tiki bar, for 2 margaritas in small plastic cups, they charged us $15. There is no beach, just a small marina.

We went to Key West for one night of our stay, and the Parrot Bay resort was a nice break from the bare bones/Motel 6 environment of the Hammocks. On our last night in Marathon, we went to the Butterfly Cafe restaurant at the Tranquility Bay resort next door, and WOW. That would be a really nice place to stay! It was gorgeous like the Parrot Bay resort in Key West. They have a beautiful beach and pool area, outstanding gardens, and evening sunset celebrations looking toward the lighthouse. We will probably go back to the Hammocks, but only because we are BlueGreen owners, and to enjoy the activities in the Keys.

4 Thank BamaRowersMom
Edinburgh
Reviewed June 6, 2011

My husband and I spent 11 nights here in May, staying in a one bed ocean facing room. We had been before, Nov 09, and knew what to expect. Nothing on the face of it had changed although i did hear from one couple that their room had been renovated so maybe that is going to happen to them all. Certainly there was a new TV and new mattress which have to say, it was perfect. I like a hard bed, hubby prefers softer, and somehow this one worked for us both.

Location wise we love it, love the proximity of the old 7 mile bridge which we walked/jogged and cycled across many times. I heard the bridge may get closed and if this happens we would be devastated, it's key to our holiday to walk it and see what sealife we can spot.

But I digress.....the Hammocks. Bad points - they play music SO loudly at the pool area from 8.30 or 9am. Last time it was just background music and as you lay at the poolside, it's quite pleasant. This time, it was so loud you could barely read and concentrate. And having brekkie on the balcony with a gorgeous view is ruined hugely by having music blaring out of the sound system. We rarely complain, but on this trip it got so bad, we called reception 4 mornings in a row to ask them to put th music down. The bar isn't even open until closer to noon! Bluegreen take note, the beauty of this resort is the setting its in, don't go ruining it by making it into a cheesy disco.

Other minor points - they make this big deal of how 'green' they are and want to conserve water, please re-use towels etc. Well each day we hung up our towels to re-use to return to find them replaced. i don't change my towels every day at home. Anyway, by coincidence after the first few days we were in when the cleaning lady came round so she got an easy shift with us as we just handed her our bin and that was that. Sorry, this bugs me in big/small hotels too!

Other than that, pretty happy with the place. It's definiltey not a fancy resort but it provides you with eveyrthing you need for a chilled out time. Their Miami resort is much swankier as we discovered at the tail end of this trip, but give me Marathon any day. We would definitley come back again.

2 Thank artemis1
larry barron
Reviewed May 17, 2011

Nice little place with good amenities for the price. everything was clean which is not true for a lot of places. would stay there again. only complaint is there road sign, easy to miss.

Room Tip: you want a room facing north or west.
3 Thank skepticvision
st louis
Reviewed May 13, 2011

Place could use some improvements.. Bathroom was moldy and strippping around shower and tub was falling off. No daily cleaning at all in rooms..not even towels..had to go to front desk to exchange a towel..nearest beach is 2 miles away and it is short ,steep beach..not conducive to walking on the beach

3 Thank axelanna g
Iowa
Reviewed April 6, 2011

My husband, 9yr old son and I stayed here for four nights in March on a "Sampler Package" we had purchased from Bluegreen last year. This is a small, comfortable resort and is very relaxing!

When we arrived, our room wasn't ready yet, so we walked around the resort a bit and went to the pool bar/restaurant to get a snack and a drink. The deck overlooks the gulf side with a small dock and a few fishing charter boats that go out daily. There is a little company on-site that rents paddle boats and sell bait and that sort of thing. It was entertaining to see the pelicans on the dock and we even got to see one that had a huge fish in it's bill and it was trying to manuever around and it eventually ended up stuck sideways in the birds throat! However, the bird did not seem to mind and went about its business as usual. Interesting sight for a girl from Iowa!

Before we had even finished our snack, they had called us to say our room was ready. The room was big and clean and well appointed. The only thing lacking was a washer/dryer in the room, but there were facilities on-site with free usage. There were no ceiling fans in our unit, which did seem to let the rooms get a little stuffy at times. I think that would be the only upgrade I would like to see.

As I said, we stayed here on a "sampler package" we purchased from Bluegreen, so we did have to agree to sit through their timeshare presentation. Our presenter, Kyle, was extremely nice and not high pressure at all, which we really appreciated!! They gave us a $25.00 gift card for our time (which we used for gas) and a 10% discount card to be used for our whole stay at the restaurant/bar.

There were always plenty of chairs at the pool and the pool never seemed overcrowded, although there were always people in it. There is also a nice bar-b-que area near the pool if you want to make your own dinner, which we did one night.

The staff were very nice and attentive. Always friendly. Actually, all the service staff in the Keys is very friendly. I believe they like to refer to it as "laid back".

One night (Wednesday, I think) they had a group called "The Pirates of Marqueses" entertain at the restaurant. This is a local group that raises money for veterans and also to purchase bikes for needy children. They gave an amazing performance of songs and stories and everyone looked very authentic. This was one of the highlights of the stay and is free (unless you want to purchase 50/50 tickets) and I would recommend attending if you are able. The kids at the resort loved it, and the moms, dads, and grandparents did, too!

There were several good restaurants within a short driving distance, however, there are also many, many empty storefronts all up and down the Keys. It appeared that most of these have been vacant for quite some time, so I 'm not sure if it is the economy or hurricanes that has caused this.

The Keys Fisheries is a good, no frills place to eat. You place your order at the counter and take a seat at one of the many picnic tables on the dock. They will call you when your order is done, using a "catch phrase" that you provide them when you order. I think this changes daily. The night we were there, they asked us to name a TV show and that's what they say when your order is ready for pick up. We heard "American Pickers, your order is ready!", "CSI:Miami, order up!" and things like that. With our 9yr old along, we were "Phineas and Ferb" and the family next to us was "Sponge Bob". Lots of fun.

A side trip down to Key West is a must. Lots to see and do down by the harbor. Purchase trolley tickets as some things are kind of spread out. A stop at the legendary "Sloppy Joe's" is also a must. No frills here, either, but a cool place none the less.

All in all, I would recommend the Hammocks for relaxation, although there is not a lot of action to be found unless you travel down to Key West.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank addicted2travelIowa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
Skipjack Resort & Marina
Skipjack Resort & Marina
#11 of 16 in Marathon
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to The Hammocks at Marathon? Share your experiences!