“Ripped me off.”

Pelican RV Resort and Motel
Big Pine Key, Florida
“Ripped me off.”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I paid in advance for 8 nights. I was moving back to the area and had my cat with me. I asked and was told there WOULD BE NO PET CHARGE and was charged only for the room when I checked in. It was thunder storming all week and the room leaked badly on 3 of the 6 days I stayed there. I notified the office and they had someone look at the room, twice. I was nice. I was told they knew about the problem, but couldn't stop the 2 ceiling leaks or water coming up through the floor in the bathroom. They said they didn't have another room to move me to. On day 5, I asked to leave early and be refunded for the 2 days I would not be staying. To clarify, I paid FULL price for the 6 nights I stayed, I was just asking not to have to stay 2 more days in a leaky room. They said they would have to talk with the manager, who never seems to be available. That evening I found a receipt taped to my door showing that they were letting me leave 2 days early, but had tacked on a "pet cleaning fee" of $150 so that the bill was essentially the same (they credited my card $7.50). So, I paid for 8 nights but stayed only 6 nights, and they got to rent the room twice. My cat left no mess and I've got the pics that show it. It is unethical to tack on the pet fee after I was told there would be no charge. I certainly feel ripped off. It seems to me they owe me $150, let alone charging full price for a leaky room. I have never written a review before, but this was unethical behavior... Stay away.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Zee251
PelicanRV, Manager at Pelican RV Resort and Motel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

In regards to your stay here at the Pelican RV Resort and Motel, I am sorry that you did not have a pleasent stay. Due to our small size we only have limited "Pet Friendly" rooms and we only charge a fee when we find that someone has brought a pet into the room without our knowledge. Extra cleaning is required to ensure that a "Non- Pet Friendly" room is clean and sanitized to be confortable to future guest that may pet allergen sensitive.

In regards to the leak issue, I am only aware of one problem that has occured in the past few months and that issue was not reported until the last day of the guest's stay, not allowing us time to make repairs or corrections.

Please contact me at 305-289-0011 and I would be happy to see if we can resolve this issue and win back your bussiness.

Regional Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I've stayed here over the past both in an RV area and the motel. Most recently on a trip to Key West (once in Decemer 2012 with a couple and once in May with 3 girlfriends.) Rooms were very clean and the staff was fantastic. I know they are under new owners and they are even better now than before. The best value that I have found in the keys. They can count on seeing me again.

Room Tip: Sometimes I travel with a small dog and I choose the room on the end (next to grass) if it is availa...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
We are pleased that you had such a great time at the Pelican RV Resort and Motel.

We hope to see you again in the near future and would like to offer you a discount off your next stay for writing this review about us. Please contact us at 305-289-0011.

Sacramento, California
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed at this motel last year during my annual visit to the Keys. I was looking for something affordable, yet clean and centrally located. I've always camped out in the past, but needed to use a hotel/motel for this trip. Although it is a little bit of a hike up from Marathon, I found it to be well worth it. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, the staff was friendly and accommodating, and the price was definitely right. They also have a great view of the sunset. I'm looking to book this hotel again for my visit this year.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Cancel my room within 80 hours and they never told me on the phone they would be a cancellation fee.
charge me 25 percent fee terrible for nothing. Place is bad stay away.
Spoke to management said there's nothing they could do it's a company policy stay far away from this place terrible terrible terrible

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank mack965
I am sorry for an confusion that there may have been regarding the cancellation of your reservation. However, we do inform all guest placing reservations of our cancellation policy both by phone at time reservation is made and written on the confirmation sent via email. Our policy is similar to all other motel/hotel properties in the area and is normally very minimal. We are always happy to accomidate date changes or room type changes without a fee and will hold a credit on your account for a future stay for those that do not wish to lose any portion of there one-night deposit.
Key Largo, Florida
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on Friday nearly a month ago and I was simply driving by and saw it out of the corner of my eye so swung in to grab a room. Am I glad I did. The desk attendant made me feel very welcome and have me a queen room. She had the room double checked to make certain it was clean before renting the room to me. The room was very clean and appeared to be newly renovated. Bed was comfortable, a little soft but appeared to be new and had nice pillows. It provided a good nights rest. The room itself is small but inviting and offers a coffee pot, small fridge and a microwave. New flat screen HDtv and tile floors. Bathroom is small as well and only offered a standing shower but was very clean and offered very plush towels and basic toiletries ie soap shampoo etc. the wreck bar and grill is a short walk down the road. ( .25 mile) and offers a very good bar and full dinner and lunch menu and great friendly bartenders and staff. I dd not have time to explore the rest of the grounds but look forward to returning here again. I would recommend this as a great stay if your in the area. I myself look forward to returning. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank firedawg007

Stuart, Florida
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Last October (2011) we had a wonderful time in the Keys, terrible time at the Pelican!! It is now run by Carefree Resorts and let me tell you the staff is definitely CAREFREE!! We arrived and checked into our room and it smelled like something had died in it. Apparently the tenants that had occupied the room before us had spilled something on the couch cushions. So the incompetent staff took the cushion outside, pressure washed it, put back on the couch (still wet) and turned the AC off. So naturally when we arrived it smelled like sour disgustingness. There is no other way to describe it. The staff refused to do anything to rectify the situation or compensate us! The attitude from the women at the front desk was indifferent, as if she could not be bothered. To top it off at the end of the week the AC went out. It took forever to get touch with anyone (even though they live there) and then my husband and son ended up having to help the Maintenance man fix the AC! Still they said nothing about it. Didn't offer us a discount at out next stay, a voucher or even an apology!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Caitlyn S
PelicanRV, Manager at Pelican RV Resort and Motel, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
The Pelican Resort and Motel (formerly the Pelican Trailer Park and Motel) was purchased in 2010 by Carefree RV Resorts. Since that time the property has been growing to step outside the box of a Trailer Park and Motel to an actual resort. The RV Portion of the park is being upgraded and the Motel has been redone to offer casual luxury at an affordable price. I have attempted to contact the person that wrote this review, but have not yet been contacted back. The issues listed in the review have not ever happened and if they did we would have been right on top of them. In addition we strive to make every guest a guest for life and I would not have let anyone leave our resort in the manner listed in this review. I have a feeling that this review was written out of malice by either a competitor or person that was asked to leave the property. The Pelican RV Resort and Motel is a growing name in the Florida Keys and we welcome all new guest to come stay with us. Ask for me personally and I will make sure your stay is exceptional.
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The rooms here are gorgeous the bed is super comfortable and the bed linens were AMAZING QUALITY and VERY clean...in fact, I'd love to find out where they purchased the comforters and curtains to buy some myself they were THAT GOOD. The only drawback of the single room we had right next to the office was that there were no useable power outlets. Not even in the bathroom. The flat screen tv was great and it was nice to see an alarm clock and a welcome mat at each door. The pool was great too and well maintained and clean with plenty of loungers. Couldn't even hear the traffic from the highway in front of the motel. I'd definitely stay here again, BEST price off season for what u get in the room.

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank Moesle

Regional Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
Hawks Cay Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,640 reviews

Been to Pelican RV Resort and Motel? Share your experiences!