“Great service!”
Review of The Tackle Box

The Tackle Box
Ranked #3 of 8 Shopping in Marathon
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a full service tackle shop located in the world's greatest fishing spot, the Florida Keys. The variety of fishing in the Keys is unsurpassed. Our business is to help you catch fish by providing the right fishing tackle plus advice from locals who fish these waters daily. We also offer Fishing Charters and have Guide Service available.
Ashland, Ohio
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great service!”
Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

We are in Marathon for vacation and my son needed some shrimp and a few other things for fishing off the dock. Service was great, very friendly and helpful to those of us who only saltwater fish once in a while:-)

Oquossoc
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Where are the shrimp???”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

My friend a I drove up to Marathon (from Key West) for a fishing trip with another friend that lives in Marathon. We decided to purchase live shrimp in Marathon rather than transport them from KW. We didn't search TA before we left KW, so as we passed The Tackle Box, we pulled over and went in to purchase 3 dozen live shrimp. The gentleman greeted us and went to get our 3 dozen shrimp. While scooping out the shrimp, the lady that was behind the counter (on the phone) commented that "we aren't going to be able to get more shrimp today". Thinking nothing of it, we paid for the shrimp ($3.90/doz) grabbed our live bucket of shrimp and drove the 2 miles to our friends boat slip. When we went to empty the shrimp into the boat live well, there were EXACTLY 25 shrimp (not 36). I guess I should have counted them as he scooped them out...but that seemed a little overbearing....I mean 3 dozen is 3 dozen. I meant to stop into the "Box" on our way back to KW, but figured it wouldn't have made a difference.....anyway, next time I guess I'll count them!!! One more thing...the live shrimp worked GREAT....but we ran out when the fish were biting!!

Visited January 2014
2 Thank RangeleyCruiser
MarathonFLAKeys, Manager at The Tackle Box, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
I remember you guys coming in. I am not sure what happened, the only thing I can think of is that the shrimp dipper heard 2 dozen and I heard 3. You were defiantly charged for 3 dozen and I apologize. We owe you a dozen shrimp next time you come up this way.
Potomac, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Friendly Customer Service At Its Best....Period !!!!”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Stopped in at the Tackle box to pick up some shrimp, the nice lady behind the counter saw my shrimp bucket and looked at me and said " About A Dozen " I told her that I was hoping to cram at least 2 dozen in my little bucket, she then said, all we have is about a dozen ( it was late in the day ) then this gentleman ( I think it was her husband ) took my bucket..........10 minutes later he came back and said "I got you 2 dozen and they are still swimming" Anybody who has ever tried to net shrimp knows how difficult it is to get the little buggers, especially in a big tank like they had. long story short....the tackle box went out of there way to make me happy, very hard to find these days............Thank you Tackle Box you are the only place I will ever go to get shrimp or tackle or just a fish story when I visit Marathon next time.

P.S. They even have a 24/7 frozen bait vending machine out front.

Lee

Visited January 2014
MarathonFLAKeys, Manager at The Tackle Box, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thank you Lee we like to make our customers happy. We enjoy cutting-up and telling tales, after all you are on vacation and are here to have a good time.
Columbus, Ohio
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fishing help”
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

After having a bad experience at another location in marathon we tried this shop. They gave us awesome advice and we had a good day of fishing.

MarathonFLAKeys, Manager at The Tackle Box, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Thank you so much for the great review. We are just doing our job. It is refreshing to get praised. I wish more people would take the time to leave good feedback.
Novi, Michigan, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Shrimp”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I recently purchased a home in Marathon and like to fish. All of the local bait shops seem to have an attitude toward newbies. The tackle box is the worst. I tried to buy the 6 dozen shrimp deal as advertised on the sign outside. My bucket looked like maybe 3-4 dozen tiny shrimp. When I mentioned my disappointment, the woman told me that was the way it was take it or leave it. I told them I didn't want the shrimp.Then her attitude became abusive. I will not return.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank George M
MarathonFLAKeys, Manager at The Tackle Box, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear George -

Just wanted to clear up a few things.
The keys are a tourist destination, so 75-80% of the people who go to any local shops are 'newbies". We do not have attitudes against them, we treat them as we are treated.

You ask for 6 dozen shrimp, you get 72 shrimp. If you would have counted I am pretty positive that is what was in your bucket. Shrimp do come in different sizes depending upon the season, moon phase, etc. sometimes they are very small and sometimes they are very big, we have no control over this. They are delivered every morning from Miami. We are at the mercy of the Shrimpers. In other words "it is what it is", I can not change it.

As far as irate, I believe I said "ok, we are playing nice" took the shrimp back and gave you your money back.

I apologize if you felt that you were treated badly, it is not our intention at all.