“Wonderful!”

Ranked #14 of 16 Marathon B&B and Inns
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed on one of the "floating" rooms which was a tiny houseboat. Ours (17) looked freshly painted, had a loft type of queen bed, a small fridge and microwave.There was also a twin bed that we used as a couch, actually used to place our luggage. It was clean except had old carpet and an old TV. We never turned the TV on so it didn't matter. We didn't use internet either! A trip to the grocery store made it unnecessary to even leave. We took our own beach chairs and spent most of the time just enjoying the quiet of being on the little deck. Our boat was perfect for us (honeymooners) who love the water. We felt like we were kids again on a camping trip. We sat on the deck until 2 am just enjoying the water, the sunset, the quiet. There are some people there that live full time on their boats and everyone was friendly and nice. Some were there for the excellent snorkeling and scuba nearby. The "front desk" was closed from 11-3 so we went out to lunch while waiting to check in. The guy at the desk recommended "The Wooden Spoon" for lunch and he was right on! If you are looking for luxury, you won't find it here. If you are looking for peace and quiet and just relaxation you found it! Ask for a boat that is on the right side of the dock, facing out to the water so you can enjoy just relaxing with no pressures of the world with you! Unfortunately we had reservations elsewhere so the 2 nights we stayed were not enough! We actually blew off one night in Key west for a 2nd night there! Debated a 3rd but we still had to pay for Key West hotel so we had to leave! We came here from a 5 star elsewhere and enjoyed this just as much!

Room Tip: No beach, pool, or other amenities some people look for. The front desk guy (so sorry I don't re...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Eugene O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Palm Bay Florida
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This is an affordable place to stay is clean and quiet. The owner must like blue and white and thats it. The beds in our house boat were 2 singles, it had a microwave and refrigerator. You don't go anywhere with the boats as they are secured to the dock. But we checked with others in our group staying in other locations and they get nicer quarters than the house boat.

I recommend bargining for the house boat, the rates are high. I would hope the owner would put some effort into the appearance of the houseboats wiht some decorations, names, colorful paint. a little attention to the electrical cords and switches.

As I said it was clean and quiet on the houseboat.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RogerPsz
Canada
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Decided to try staying in one of the floating rooms. Was hoping to have a romantic experience but the very basic nature of the floating rooms hurts that factor. The floating rooms are akin to an on the water cabin with basic conveniences and very basic decor. There is nothing pretty about the floating rooms inside and because the windows facing onto the water are salt-encrusted there is really no view to speak of from inside.
I had no problems with the boat rocking as the waters were perfectly calm. The place was a very quiet and restful place and the management also was very pleasant and laid back.
If only the cleaning was not so laid back. I don't expect perfection in cleanliness but this was about the first time I felt staying in a hotel that cleanliness was not being taken seriously enough. I saw lots of dust upon closer inspection of corners, on the blinds and the air conditioner filter that made me apprehensive of recommending this place.If they could only improve the upkeep of the units I would at least say this place would be worthy of a stay for a budget traveler not expecting anything fancy and a new experience.

The best thing about staying here was that if was a decent value compared to other accommodations in the keys and there is a very nice free beach just a 10 minute drive away at Sombrero Beach.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank canada75
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This was great fun - for one night. An absolutely no-frills place to stay, but very unique. We slept in one of the houseboats, which was the whole reason we booked a night here on our way to Key West. The walls were unfinished beadboard and the ceilings were unfinished plywood. The furnishings were sparse and looked like they came from a thrift shop. It was fun to sit out on our boat deck and enjoy the scenery, or fish. The boat rocked slightly every time we moved around. Wi-fi was spotty at best. I couldn't maintain a connection long enough to really use it. Calling it a resort is laughable. It is more like a fish camp. Would I recommend this place? Absolutely! But one night was plenty, for the adventure. I would love to bring my grandchildren. They would love it. I wouldn't care to stay here if we weren't in one of the houseboats. Sleeping on a little houseboat was a lot of fun.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a houseboat. The small cabins didn't look like anything special. Boats on t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

First of all, this place is not a 'resort'. A resort indicates amenities. This is in effect a trailer park with a dock at the end. There are no phones, no pool and no communal areas, no coffee maker, in fact no facilities at all.
It is billed as a 'Mom & Pop'place like it used to be'. Unfortunately nostalgia does not allow for a lack of basic things like, plug in sink, mattresses that have huge dips in so that you roll towards each other. The bed was right by AC unit and as you lay in bed you can see all the dead bugs under the AC at eye level.

On a positive note, the bungalow we stayed in was large, but the decor is getting a bit tired, as are the cooker and fridge.

Anyone who has stayed at a Greek apartment would be familiar with the Sea Cove.

Unfortunately, we had been travelling around south Florida for a month and staying at cheap hotels and motels, all of which were better and cheaper than Sea Cove.

This pace has the potential to be great especially as it is not part of a chain, but needs a good shake up.

As far as price goes, if it were not for the location, the prices would be half what they are.

Room Tip: They have rooms on boats, ask for a bigger boat
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Marathon hotels

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I am always amazed by travelers who think they are going to get the Ritz Carlton for bargain basement rates and then complain when they don't get that. I'm a budget traveler and this was definitely a great stop on my way to Key West. I stayed in a houseboat which was a short walk down the dock. It was clean, recently painted and just what I expected. I arrived late in the afternoon and after getting settled, took off for dinner and to catch the sunset. I stayed only one night, but the bed was comfortable, the water was hot, and there was no rocking of the boat that could worry some about staying here. Had I stayed longer, I would have fished from the deck of the boat as some of the folks were doing in the other boats. This is a Mom & Pop place with a friendly and helpful office man. Worth every cent I paid. I did have one complaint and I say it only so I don't sound like a shill for the motel, and that was that the WiFi did not reach my room. I could pick it up in the parking lot but not out at my unit. Not a deal breaker.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank cartrich
florida
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

What most say is true.
It has clean sheets on ok beds and for the most part the rooms are somewhat clean because It is old and run down.
If you pay under $90 a night for a couple of days you shouldn't be disappointed.
It's a motel and it shows it once your In side rooms. The floating rooms are super cool but the same as the latter- $40 motel standard. If you need clean tidy doubletree or marriott standards don't stay here. Pay the extra to stay at those.
No bed bugs. Oh free marina across the street!
Would come again but with out kids and for walk in price.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank freshee61
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
Seashell Beach Resort
Seashell Beach Resort
#10 of 17 in Marathon
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Sea Cove Motel and Marina? Share your experiences!