“Great value, clean, and it was a floating room!”

Sea Cove Motel and Marina
Ranked #15 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
Miami, Florida
“Great value, clean, and it was a floating room!”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I chose to stay in one of the floating rooms after reading the reviews. My boat was #13 (oddly enough the same number as the review just below mine - I noticed this after I returned from my trip and re-read some of the reviews) and I found #13 to be clean, free of bugs, no mold (I looked because some other reviews and mentioned that) and quite homey. Yes it is small, but I was by myself and only planned on using it to sleep there so I didn't need a lot of room. The bed was a double and the bathroom I thought smelled very clean. It is a small bathroom (the sink is actually out in the room) and the shower is about the size of a cruise ship shower. I am only about 5'5 and the shower head came below my head, but the water was hot and the shower and towels were clean. There was a t.v., mini fridge and a microwave in the room as well. I have included some pictures below of my room. The room a/c worked well - I didn't really find it too noisy, I have had those in the past, so it didn't bother me. It kept the room cool and free of humidity. The boat didn't really rock but it did creak as it rubbed against the dock from time-to-time. The man checking me in was really friendly. He actually made sure to ask me if I knew I had a boat room. The office is in a little hut right on the left when you drive in, they have a little cup outside for you to drop your room keys in if you check-out before they open. I did notice there were 3-4 buildings (it looked like 2 rooms to a building) that were on the right as you drive in. I could see how people could mistake those for an office at night - so you might want to check on that if you get the first one as you drive in. There was also 2 other rooms that were not boats down by the dock, they had a porch out front and were right by the water.

This place might not be for everyone, but for the price you really can't beat it and for the type of room. There are a lot of other places to stay but none of them are "floating rooms". Where else will you have a chance to stay in a floating room? It's not the newest place, it's not the fanciest place - but it has more personality than any place I think I have ever stayed before.

Room Tip: Request a floating room, you may never have a chance to say you slept in one again!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank sdm23669

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We were here for the 7 mile bridge run. We asked to look at our room prior to checking in as some of the reviews were questionable at best. The room seemed fine a/c was cold and free of bugs. The price was so worth it. We paid less for 3 nights here than we paid for 1 night at holiday inn last year. The bed was a little broken down, but location and price made up for that. We fished off the dock one afternoon and sat on our chairs at night. We will be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 13.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cynthia P
Andover, New Jersey
Reviewed April 12, 2013

this motel was below any standards of a place calling itself a place to sleep. the room was dirty, the air conditioner filter fell off and was on the bed, the toilet was loose and rocked each time it was used , there was no toilet paper holder , the shower was filthy and smelled moldy, just a broken down metal rack without any hangers served as a closet
the front door had a space of 2.5 inches on the bottom,mice and bugs were coming and going. the blinds were inoperable with gaps on the sides which happened to front on the highway. All this for only $125/ night, Wow!

Room Tip: Sleep in your car
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Marathon hotels

Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
Reviewed April 11, 2013

not sure what the bad reviews are, maybe those folks are used to the Ritz, and silver spoons etc but thats not what these are all about. We stayed in one of the cottages. Hello folks...Its the keys and we stayed here for $75. $88 with taxes & what ever else. The cheapest on Key West was $140 or so.
Our room had 2 beds, kitchen, bath, kit.. table, and was clean. had a great covered porch with chairs. They were very friendly and helpful with local things to do. Just for giggles we looked at several of the boats the next morning. Not one of them were dirty, stinky, musty, or disgusting. No, they arent brand new. Yes, they have been there awhile. but they were very cool, and next time we will give them a try. full running water, air, clean interiors. If your looking for a richy, rich stuck up marina then keep heading south. If you want a very reasonable place to stay, friendly family, clean place to stay....then you will not regret it. we will be back. The Keys were awesome. this was our first visit

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Paul T
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were very excited to spend the night on a houseboat as we thought this would be a unique experience. This marina was very disappointing and the website does not depict the true nature of the houseboats current condition. The boats are disgusting and musty smelling. The furnishings are old. The bathroom sink had rust and mold in it. This place is not liveable. We explained to the manager that it was impossible for us to sleep here as our son is asthmatic. She responded that her only responsibility to us was to provide a room and she fulfilled her responsibility. We were forced to try to locate a place to stay at 8:00 pm on a Thursday night. Fortunately, we were able to locate a place with the help of the staff at the local Holiday Inn. Do not waste your time at this Motel and Marina or be deceived by the affordability as it is not worth it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Toronto
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We were hoping for a fun night on a houseboat. Based on other reviews we were expecting to be "roughing" it a bit, but looked forward to something different. Unfortunately the experience was extremely disappointing. The boat smelled horribly of mold (not old musty boat, but mold). It was clearly a very old houseboat that had very little updates or repairs done to it for the 50 years it had been sitting on the dock. The carpets were worn through and torn, the windows were sealed shut so we couldn't get fresh air, the blinds were broken and hanging by strings. There is no ambience at this place, and the water in this bay is stagnant and dirty. Considering that it was the most expensive hotel we had while in the keys - it was by far a pretty dirty, smelly, decaying, experience. Spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tiffadvisor
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband and I are staying here for three nights, and this is our first. We are in a floating houseboat docked by the side of a charming wooden boat jetty. Overall a pretty rustic/quaint feel. The houseboat/room is decorated in a vintage fashion, with an antique looking dresser and a retro-looking lamps. The beds seem comfortable and clean. Many cable TV channels; and fast wifi (i don't know why previous reviewers said internet was spotty). There's also a fridge and a microwave. The bathroom is small but adequate - the size you would expect in a boat, and clean. The boathouse is not brand new, but it certainly is decently maintained, and comfortable for the price. We stayed out in the deck this afternoon basking in the sun; and at night we star-gazed on the deck chairs. The man at the office was helpful and friendly. Charming experience overall.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
Coconut Cay Resort & Marina
Kingsail Resort Motel
Kingsail Resort Motel
#13 of 16 in Marathon

Been to Sea Cove Motel and Marina? Share your experiences!