“rustic,relaxing Keys atmosphere”

Ranked #13 of 16 Marathon B&B and Inns
Fort Myers, Florida
“rustic,relaxing Keys atmosphere”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Just returned from spending 2 nights at the Sea Cove, I didnt expect much because of the reviews but figured I would form my own opinons. Well, in my opinon this was definately worth it and we will be returning with our family. We rented one of the floating rooms and though rustic, we loved it. We are Floridians and know that this experience was the real Florida Keys, no fancy hotel no luxury accomodations but at the same time very relaxing. The beds were extremely comfortable for which my bad back was very appreciative, carpets a little threadbare but clean the only smell I noticed was coming from my bait bucket on the bow of the boat (lol). No coffeepot but thats ok I came prepared with instant coffee to be heated in the microwave, towels were a little thin so next time I will bring my own, again not a big deal. Wifi was nonexistant in the boat but who cares this is the Florida Keys and you really dont need to be playing on your computer when there is so much other stuff to do and see. Wildlife and fish are abundant, saw a manatee right next to the boat, fishing wasnt bad at all, caught several different fish. Very unique and as I said , we will be returning. If you need a fancy place the Hilton or Key Colony is right up the road but if you want to experience the true Florida Keys, then this is the place.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank susanrobert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We booked two nights in the houseboat... when we got there we decided we didn't like it. Ended up in the cabin which was nice. The manager told us that if we kept the key (didn't check out at 11 am) we could stay a second night (a Sunday.) We went out for the afternoon and when we returned at 4:30 pm we found that OUR BELONGINGS HAD BEEN REMOVED FROM THE ROOM for someone who made an on-line reservation. I never heard of such a thing happening. Don't go there.

Room Tip: Don't go there.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen J

Travelers are raving about these Marathon hotels

Reviewed February 9, 2012

We booked one night, and left within the hour after paying $140. The "boat" was not clean and smelled, the door was not secure, a push and it could be opened. Bathroom "window" a sheet of rough plywood, I wouldnt bring my suitcase incase of bugs, nor would I sit on the bedding! Another reviewer noted watching wildlife, the only "wildlife" we saw was the other boat inhabitants. We happily spent several $$ more to sleep safely down the road. Run down trailer park on the water.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Scot42
Summit County, Colorado
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Luckily we checked in late and didn't have to spend a lot of time in our room during our 1 night stay. We didn't have high expectations of the houseboat room after we made the reservation and were warned that the accommodation was basic. I don't mind basic but I do mind dirty. The houseboat floor hadn't been swept before our arrival and was filthy. The blinds covering the windows had cobwebs and dust hanging off of them. There was a half full beer on the floor next to the bed. I think the housekeeping staff needs some additional training or maybe they need to find new jobs! The vinyl floor covering was ripped and the floor was spongy - I felt like we were going to put our foot through the floor every time we walked across it. We tried to speak to someone the next morning about our stay but no one was available until 11. I also sent an email to the property and haven't received a response. I guess they really don't care what people think about their property. My suggestion is to find another option anywhere else.

Room Tip: Drive South on Highway 1 and find something else.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank AWJ3
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed January 10, 2012

We live in the Keys on a vessel and we understand the concept of 'basic accommodations' but this was rough. We were late night walk-ins so we received a fairly low rate. The smell of mold and urine in the carpeting was overwhelming. The rest of the room was clean. Our houseboat did have a microwave and refrigerator but not a single cup. When we asked for one we were told that they wouldn't provide them as they 'only get stolen'. We used to run a small motel and having something as simple as a 10 cent coffee cup can make a big difference. Difficult to sleep as partying on the dock went on throughout the night. It really is worth the additional $25 a night to stay at one of the nearby hotels.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kshawn
Boca Raton
Reviewed January 3, 2012

The purpose of our trip was to attend a wedding taking place on New Year's Eve. We chose this motel sight unseen as it was close to the house the wedding couple rented for the event. While we knew rates would be high for the New Year's Eve weekend, the rate was ridiculouse considering the "dump" of a room we were rented. We paid $150 per night for the 2 nights we stayed. The room was damp, the 2 double beds horrible, the sheets paper thin, the 2 terry cloth towels were about as thick as a worn out wash rag, bare light bulbs on the ceiling, the floor filthy, old dirty rusting stove with knobs missing, the kitchen sink was disgusting but we needed to use it instead of the bathroom sink which was plugged and the water wouldn't drain, the furniture looked like it was picked up at a garage sale held in 1950, the room had a sugar ant infestation so it was diffucult to know where to put anything lest we bring home our luggage with Sea Cove Motel ants, the old rusting window air conditioner was just barely hanging on, instead of fixing a broken cabinet door the owner chose to remove the cabinet doors in the kitchenette and bathroom and screw plywood to the face, the bathroom window was also treated in the same manner--the glass must have broken and a piece of plywood was screwed in place thus eliminating the bathroom window, but we could go on and on. Let me finish this review by saying my husband and I are NOT hight maintenance but this place took the cake! Horrible!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank jzf
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed September 17, 2011

We recently took a very short trip down to the keys from west broward county fl. We got a late start from south beach after a late dinner and then ran into traffic during large portions of our ride. We were scheduled to check in no later than 11pm, but unfortunately we were unable to arrive until shortly after midnight. The manager or owner was ready for us, even at that late hour and welcomed us to paradise. The rooms are converted old houseboats. They are definitely not "fancy" by any stretch of the imagination, but they are quaint, clean, and straight up adorable. If you want a fancy-schmancy 5 star luxury spa, then don't go to the sea cove, the sea cove embodies the true spirit of the keys.
We awoke to the sun rising over the crystal clear, mirror-like water. I relaxed on the sundeck and watched the needle fish swimming about. My only complaint is that I had to leave the property to get coffee. I beg of you, sea cove, please put coffee makers in the room, or have one in your office for the guests, or somewhere on the property! Luckily there's a circle k right down the road to grab a cup of coffee and some sunscreen that I forgot. The sea turtle hospital is just a little further down the road from the sea cove and is a definite MUST for any turtle lover.
Overall, I had an amazing weekend get-a-way and the sea cove had a lot to do with it. Just the "cool factor' alone is worth if for this amazing little gem tucked out on Marathon.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JustJoia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort
Coconut Cay Resort & Marina

Been to Sea Cove Motel and Marina? Share your experiences!